• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Other Than Ryobi

What table saw or saws do you have or had other than a Ryobi/Sears equivalent?

• chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Some kind of Jet 10" t.s. I picked up some while ago. The bt is still serving my needs until I finish my mobile saw table...
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

An old pos delta bench top saw.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

My first table saw, a POS Skill benchtop. It was more plastic than metal. Knowing what I know now and have learned since then, I am amazed that I never got seriously hurt with that thing. Bad practices, inexperience and a poor tool made for an accident that luckily never happened.
        Erik

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

First TS was a little POS Craftsman that was given to me by a Major I served under. When I retired I think it went to the dumpster.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

a unisaw, two emerson built 10" contractor saws ( one a c-man, the other a ridgid 2412) and a direct drive, probably what's referred to as a POS c-man, 10" that i can carry to friends when they need help (with a little work, it's remarkably accurate for a saw that cost $20 off CL).

i've never owned a bt3XXX and am now glad i never went that way. i got one for free for a neighbor and after helping him set it up, just felt it was never a saw i could relate to. probably because there are movable table parts, movable fence rails and it's a right tilt. but that sliding table and riving knife are nice features.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

I've only owned a craftsman BT clone but I've maintained and used a few for work.
              Bosch 4100, it's the most similar to the BT series.
              Delta Unisaws, both were 12" 1960's vintage. One was in daily production use with a Biesmeyer fence. The other I restored after it sat in storage for 20 years. The restored saw was put into service for custom projects. It had the original Delta fence.
              Oliver sliding table 16", the entire saw was cast iron and it was awesome.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

All bought new, in order:
                1. Delta 36-600 compact saw (predecessor of the TS300 "Shopmaster")
                2. GI 50-185 left tilt contractor saw w/General Homeshop T-fence (Biese)
                3. Craftsman 22124 hybrid saw w/Biese Commercial fence (by Steel City/Orion)
                4. Shop Fox W1677 3hp cabinet saw (Grizzly G1023SL equivalent)

Have also had 6 or 7 used Emerson made Craftsman contractor saws (one with a Vega fence), a used BT3000 loaded, and new Delta 36-980 contractor saw w/T2 fence.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Other than two BT3x - Old Sears contractor's saw in Japan before the BTs - got it from a fellow that had it shipped to Japan, but didn't have enough space to operate it. It was a true contractor's saw with the motor sticking out the back. It was OK but not nearly as accurate or vibration free as the BTs.

I also inherited a Unisaw from my dad when he passed. He always complained about it needing adjusting or re-calibrating about every month. I used it sparingly over 8 months and found the same thing, and decided to sell it. Dad has used saws since way before I was born and knew how to tune saws well. But that one - probably an arbor problem. Very little runout and no noticeable vibration (it would stand the nickle test) but I figured it had a very very fine vibration than caused things to come loose and move out of alignment. It had link belts, so that wasn't the problem.

I also learned that a unisaw is not good for a limited space workshop!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

Currently runnin a BT-3000 and Ridgid 4511 Granite topper, but have had many others in the past including Delta's, Crapsman,etc and hope to before long have a Unisaw and keep the other 2 as well . Two of everything Tommy

Comment

• cork58
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                      • BT3000

My father in law tricked me into thinking something was wrong with his 1938 Delta tilting table saw. When I couldn't find anything wrong he told me to just keep it anyway. That darn thing is a pleasure to use! So now I have my frankensaw and the Delta.
                      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Dal300
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2011
                        • East Central Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

A friend of mine that shares another hobby with me had a BT3000 that he brought to a place we both did some work.
                        He lives in the UP of Michigan and has a host of tools made of cast iron and steel and does an exceedingly beautiful job of cabinet work and restoration.

At the time I had a wonderful little Ryobi BTS10S that was better at making wedges than straight cuts, even without a jig!
                        I used that saw for about 6 years until I burned it out by cutting 3" thick bodark, (Osage Orange), for an RV interior I was making.
                        I was looking around for another saw and I remembered his saw and the quality it handled along with the power it had.
                        I made some inquiries on an RV forum I belong to and was told to check into BT3 Central. I immediately found someone about 2 hours away that had a BT3100 for sale with all the bells and whistles. I bought it and have been happy ever since.

Now, sadly, I need to move up to a larger saw and my boss has a 2HP 240V Craftsman with cast iron wings that I may have to buy.
                        I'm not sure if I'll sell the BT3100 or put it away for traveling, but either way, I will miss it!

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

My first and only saw for most of thirty years is a 1974 Emerson-built Craftsman RAS. Still my favorite tool and now dedicated to cross-cut operations.

I purchased my BT in 2005, when they were closing them out. Wonderful saw in it's accuracy and versatility. I'm "spoiled" with this great design. Every time I look at a supposed "bigger/better" saw, I keep wondering why the "wings" don't move, and why do they have such a crummy little miter gauge, and why can't I slide those rails to maximize the capacity on one side or the other?

CWS
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jdon
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                            • BT3100

Old C'man contractor saw with warped cast iron wings- never could get aligned;
                            Ryobi BTS15- SMT, but cheap in every way- no comparison to BT3xx.

Comment

• BobSch
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

My first experience was an old cast iron saw with a table that was about the size of a piece of paper. No idea what brand.
                              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...