X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by RAV2
    After struggling for several years with various trimmer heads and other hand-me-down trimmers, I broke down and bought one of these: Echo Speed-Feed 400 Universal Trimmer Head

I selected my most valuable trimmer - an Echo GT-2000 - and outfitted it with this head. Makes trimming a pleasure now.

I marked off a spot on my workbench in the shed at 5', pull 4 long 5' pulls of trimmer string off the bulk spool and put a couple of these hanks in my pocket when trimming.

When I run out, I align the slot in the head so I can see thru it, pull the line thru and center the string on each side of the head, and crank up the unit to pull in all of the length. If I get lucky, this can be in less than one minute.

You won't be sorry with this investment and it can be used on your next trimmer. In the rare event I need to get into the head for clearing a bad jam/break, it opens relatively easy without tools.

Check it out.
    Interesting--I just bought this about 5 days ago for an Echo trimmer and to be blunt, it has sucked. For some reason, it won't advance the line---in fact, when I "bump" it, it shears the line off at the feed holes and I have to remove the long line and start the winding process over. What's interesting is if I push the head manually and pull the line, it comes out fine.

Mine is going back this weekend when I have time.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I wouldn't recommend using any metal string or cable that was not sold for this purpose! What do I base that statement on you might ask? Long ago before string trimmers became popular Black and Decker made a crude 120 volt trimmer with small metal blades. Blades were not available so I hose clamped a couple of pieces of 1/8" aircraft cable. It worked but it took a while to get the little pieces of wire out of my legs.
      capncarl

Comment

• RAV2
        Established Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Massachusetts

Take a look at the spool on the inside. I think it must be installed correctly or it will not advance the line based on how your trimmer rotates. Flip it over and see if it corrects the problem.

Originally posted by sailor55330
        Interesting--I just bought this about 5 days ago for an Echo trimmer and to be blunt, it has sucked. For some reason, it won't advance the line---in fact, when I "bump" it, it shears the line off at the feed holes and I have to remove the long line and start the winding process over. What's interesting is if I push the head manually and pull the line, it comes out fine.

Mine is going back this weekend when I have time.
        Tackle the toughest jobs with ECHO’s best-in-class, commercial-grade outdoor power equipment. Find out more today.

"Reassemble trimmer head in reverse order of disassembly. Make sure “L” mark is facing away from bushing when replacing spool fir LH units. Make sure “R” mark is facing away from bushing for RH units. Trimmer head halves will snap together tightly only if parts are properly assembled."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Insert.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	787254
        Last edited by RAV2; 06-08-2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by vaking
          Your trimmer seems to accept attachements. I also have Craftsman straight shaft trimmer and I use various attachements...I believe you should be able to get yourself edger attachement for your unit, this way you can use edger without maintaining another motor.
          This was the solution. Today I received this Poulan edger that does fit my Craftsman trimmer. It took less than a 1/3 the time vs using string and required much less effort. I've got to get better not contacting the sidewalk, though. Lots of sparks thrown and the blade no longer looks like a rectangle. It was easy to swap out this for my string attachment and comes with a little accessory cap that allows you to hang up the attachment which is a nice touch.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I have a Craftsman string trimmer Model 257-795200 "Semi-Automatic" (bump head), which is at least 20 years old, maybe even 30 or more! I probably only use this four or five times a year to trim around the shrubbery, trees, and yard edge. But honestly, I think I've only replaced the .065 string about four times. Here, at this house, I've got a lot of heavy rocks placed for landscaping purposes (PIA for mowing), and I use the trimmer for trimming around and in between.

Maybe it's the way we use them. My late FIL had a similar model and he went through a spool almost every other year.

Regarding electric as being weak, I don't know. This trimmer of mine seems to really whip; and perhaps it's the smaller diameter of string, but it slices even heavier weeds pretty good. The label, reads "3/4 HP, Heavy Duty".

(The gas company put in new meters at my Painted Post house last summer, and the rather large bank got dug up pretty bad. They were supposed to re-landscape everything, but they did a very poor job. In any case, I let that bank go way too long and just last week decided I'd use the string trimmer on it (some weeds were a couple of ft high). Tough job and it took me most of an hour, but the trimmer cut it down pretty well. So now I can rake the rocks out of there and maybe next week I'll be able to use the lawn mower on it.)

My son just moved out of town to an apartment, and he gave me his engine-driven Weed Eater. No manual of course, as he doesn't save anything like that. But, I've never owned a 2-cycle engine of any kind, so I've got to figure that out. It is substantially lighter than my electric Craftsman trimmer and the head is of course complete different... got to figure that out too. (I'm wondering if it's worth the time.)

CWS
            !
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...