• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

String trimmer heads

I have a straight shaft Craftman's string trimmer. My primary needs are for edging the lawn, but I also trim around trees and posts. Edging close to the sidewalk eats up string pretty fast so I switched from a bump feed head to one that has four swivel heads. I can use less string to do the same amount of lawn--just barely--but edging near the concrete always eats up the string.

I don't want a single purpose lawn edger. I really don't want to maintain another unit even if it's electric. I borrowed my Dad's electric once and it was weak.

Do you use any special technique or have some kind of fancy trimmer head that doesn't get eaten up so quickly?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

I use an earlier version of this Sears 4 cycle trimmer => http://www.sears.com/craftsman-32cc-...p-07173193000P ... it uses very heavy line and although I trim around rocks, trees, ... I don't find it to be that big a deal to change the line occasionally. Maybe you can get a head with heavier string capacity ? I have never seen an auto or bump feed head that I thought was worth a darn.
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• frumper64
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Garland, Tx, USA.

I have an Echo string trimmer that has a sort of flat head which is not an auto-feed. You insert 2 pieces of line, precut to about 6 inches. It will take pretty heavy line and when that gets worn down, you simply pull the remainder out of the head and insert new lines. You do end up wasting a couple of inches of line each time this way, but it is actually pretty convenient to use and you never get to experience the frustration of the line jamming in an auto-feed head. I'm pretty sure the head would be available to fit about any string trimmer.

Jim
      Jim
      64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• rcp612
        Established Member
        • May 2005
        • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
        • Bosch 4100-09

Depending on how much trimming you have to do, I have this. It has a pull out guard to keep you away from the flowers that worx perfectly! The edging position is great and I haven't had to worry about the string for 2 years now. But, it came with a "free" string replacement for life when I got it.
        Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• RAV2
          Established Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Massachusetts

After struggling for several years with various trimmer heads and other hand-me-down trimmers, I broke down and bought one of these: Echo Speed-Feed 400 Universal Trimmer Head

I selected my most valuable trimmer - an Echo GT-2000 - and outfitted it with this head. Makes trimming a pleasure now.

I marked off a spot on my workbench in the shed at 5', pull 4 long 5' pulls of trimmer string off the bulk spool and put a couple of these hanks in my pocket when trimming.

When I run out, I align the slot in the head so I can see thru it, pull the line thru and center the string on each side of the head, and crank up the unit to pull in all of the length. If I get lucky, this can be in less than one minute.

You won't be sorry with this investment and it can be used on your next trimmer. In the rare event I need to get into the head for clearing a bad jam/break, it opens relatively easy without tools.

Check it out.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Electric edgers are underpowered. Gas ones work pretty well, but do eventually (IMHE) have issues where things break and need welding or fixing.
            My neighbor and a few others I know, went to those heads like others have mentioned, where you replace smaller line sections (no bump feed of a standard weed eater). But the one thing that I have seen people like more, requires one of those trimmers that the head section is replaceable. Then they just use an edger head.
            The only other thing I could recommend, is to change your angle of attack. Instead of doing the upside down, straight along the concrete, angle the head so it eats more into the dirt, at a v shape, near the sidewalk.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              Electric edgers are underpowered. Gas ones work pretty well, but do eventually (IMHE) have issues where things break and need welding or fixing.
              Probably depends on the trimmer - I have a Ryobi One+ and it is not underpowered. I also have a 720r, but have not used it really since I got the One+ - the One+ is as powerful as the 720r, so the 720r has been relegated to cultivating usage.

I also have a plug in electric B&D - and it definitely is underpowered, so I agree with you that some electric trimmers are underpowered.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by RAV2
                After struggling for several years with various trimmer heads and other hand-me-down trimmers, I broke down and bought one of these: Echo Speed-Feed 400 Universal Trimmer Head
                I watched some videos on its use. Seems like a winner. You can load up to 20' of string onto it?!!! How long have you had yours? It only has a 90 day warranty even for home use (not sure how that compares to others, though).

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                  Probably depends on the trimmer - I have a Ryobi One+ and it is not underpowered. I also have a 720r, but have not used it really since I got the One+ - the One+ is as powerful as the 720r, so the 720r has been relegated to cultivating usage.

I also have a plug in electric B&D - and it definitely is underpowered, so I agree with you that some electric trimmers are underpowered.
                  I realize by reading your response, I wasn't clear. The gas ones I have dealt with, are dedicated tools with three wheels and an arm you lower into the ground. The blade arm eventually has issues (springs break, welds break, etc), verses the weedeater style powered ones. (less moving parts)
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Your trimmer seems to accept attachements. I also have Craftsman straight shaft trimmer and I use various attachements. Trimmer is one attachment, edger is another and I also have tiller and blower attachments. Blower I never really use, tiller I use in the spring. To be honest - tiller attachment gives the machine quite a workout, the unit shuts itself off after an hour of work and needs time to cool off. Your unit is 4-cycle medium-duty, mine is 2-cycle but heavy duty. I also replaced bump head on trimmer attachement with another head that accepts pre-cut strings. I believe you should be able to get yourself edger attachement for your unit, this way you can use edger without maintaining another motor.
                    Alex V

Comment

• RAV2
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Massachusetts

Close to a year of use and no problems seen.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by RAV2
                        Close to a year of use and no problems seen.
                        I almost bought it the other day--had it in my hands and almost in the cart--but noticed my trimmer (Craftsman) wasn't listed on the package. Some googling in the store seemed to confirm the incompatibility and when I looked at the manual online, didn't see any Craftsmans listed. I don't know what would be so different about the attachment with this head over a standard head, though. Just didn't want to waste my time trying to make it work and then returning it, when all the evidence indicates it wasn't going to work for me. Bummer.

Comment

• TimTucker
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jun 2014

So far you've just talked about replacing the head -- the other variable at play is using different string. Based on some of the reviews of better cutting power and longer durability, I'd picked up some of the Cyclone line for my One+ trimmer:

We don't do a lot of trimming, though, so I'm still on the factory installed line and can't give a verdict yet on whether or not it makes a difference.

Comment

• trungdok
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2012
                            • MA

I have never done this, but is it possible to use metallic string? Perhaps use guitar string.

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

My Husky has winding instructions molded into the head. The bump feed works, sometimes. It needs a lot of choking but has those instructions molded in too. I don't like to use a metal blade edger either. Current yard doesn't need one, at least much. Line trimmer is far more needed. I don't use it as much as I should. Yard and house are a bit overwhelming currently but I'm making progress.

Comment

Working...