• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Dumb question about wallpaper removal.

In our main bath, my previous roomate prior to LOML and I getting together, had a dog that he would put in there, and she tore up the wall pretty badly. I have the wall patched, but have been fighting on and off to get the old wallpaper off of the wall and texture it. I have some spots where the paper just won't go no matter how much wallpaper remover I use. I am wondering how bad it would look if I just skinned, sanded, textured and painted the thing instead of killing myself, and possibly the wall continuing to try to remove that stubborn last layer of paper. It appears the first layer was applied directly to the drywall with no sort of primer or sizing...

Just a thought...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

If you are going to texture it, it probably will not make any difference. Wet it and scrape/sand it to get the slick off and the texture will hold better than on the drywall.
    capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Cool... I know what my weekend project weekend after next will be. This upcoming weekend is garage door trim and seal completion... I may try to squeeze texturing in during the week or something so I can get busy with the paint on Friday night...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

Gotta agree with Capncarl.

Where he posted to sand the paper that's still there is very important too. Good luck and happy texturing/painting.

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

remove the old wallpaper by steamimg with something like this:

they are available at most tool rental outlets for a reasonable daily amount and are well worth it. i have had the unfortunate pleasure of removing wallpaper from several rooms over the years and it's one of my least favorite tasks.

"going over" the old wallpaper with anything usually shows up as an amateur's shortcut. if moisture of any kind gets under the wallpaper that remains, it will start releasing form the wall, nesessitating the removal of not only the wallpaper but what ever was put over it in an attampt to camouflage it. at resale, any good engineering inspection will point out the remaining wallpaper and the "coverup" which could be an item used by a buyer to attack the selling price (surprising how well this works ).

it's a fairly messy and difficult job, but worth it in terms of final appearance when the job is done right. it's always best to do the job right the first time to avoid having to do it twice. just my $.02.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
            Established Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Conway, SC.
            • BT3000

A few years ago I was having the same problem trying to remove wallpaper. I hired a drywall finisher to do what you are attempting. Soon as he put the mud on the wall, the wallpaper started coming off. He had to stop until I removed the rest of the mess.
            So try some "mud" - I guess the moisture in it will soften the glue, etc., and it will fall off easily. At least it did in my case.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think its pretty common to texture over wall paper. That's what LOML is planning for the kitchen.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

It is a bit messy, but steam is definitely the way to go. I got a cheapie B & D steamer 20 years ago (maybe $30), and removed paper from 10 rooms, most of it 40-60 years old. I tried everything else first, nothing worked.
                Especially if the paper is old, I think the removers have a tough time with it because they are fashioned to remove newer glues.
                Preferably let it dry for a couple of days to be sure all the moisture is gone before you start your project.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Seedy
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2007

What I have done in the past is paint with an oil basr paint. It glues the paper down and waterproofs it so thst you can mud and texture. Ask at the paint store if they have any mismixed paint that they would like to sell cheap.

-Seedy

Comment

• bfrikken
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Michigan, USA.
                    • BT-3100

I've removed a lot of wallpaper in my old house with mostly success scoring it and using hot water to soak it, waiting til it pretty much dried and soaking it again and scraping. However, when working in a small spot that the paper must have been glued on in another manner, I decided to just put 1/4" drywall overtop of it. A little mud, sanding, and My wall was as good as new. Much faster that way too

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania
                      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                      "going over" the old wallpaper with anything usually shows up as an amateur's shortcut.
                      Definitely agree. There is no paint, texturing, or covering that will secure or successfully hide old wall paper. The ONLY way to get a good repair without removing the wallpaper is to drywall over it (3/8" drywall is fine).

Steam will remove it. If you can find a used clothes steamer, 1500W or so, that will have enough capacity to remove wallpaper, and also makes a good, safe paint removal tool.
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                        Definitely agree. There is no paint, texturing, or covering that will secure or successfully hide old wall paper. The ONLY way to get a good repair without removing the wallpaper is to drywall over it (3/8" drywall is fine).

Steam will remove it. If you can find a used clothes steamer, 1500W or so, that will have enough capacity to remove wallpaper, and also makes a good, safe paint removal tool.
                        FWIW, we have repeatedly tried wallpaper remover paste, steamers, and a variety of scrapers. I am just about ready to start knocking drywall out to replace it with fresh...

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

I wonder if a cheap handplane might work?
                          Erik

Comment

• sailor55330
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2010

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that if you add liquid fabric softener to water and then wipe the walls, it helps break the glue adhesion.

Might be worth a google search

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                              I am just about ready to start knocking drywall out to replace it with fresh...
                              You can just put thin drywall over it, no reason to remove the existing drywall. 3/8 is fine, or even 1/4" if you can find it.

If steam isn't working to remove it though, the problem is likely that there is not enough steam or it is not hot enough. Have you tried a commercial steamer? In my experience, it requires a 1500 W to 2000 W steamer to work effectively. There should be no water at the head, just steam. Try using a short hose and insulating it to limit heat loss. Also may work better on a hot muggy day rather than a cooler day.
                              Last edited by woodturner; 04-27-2011, 11:52 AM.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...