• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Need a new mower- go electric?

So, I just got a new house and I need to get a new mower (ok, I WANT to get a new mower- I share one with my brother and I'm tired of hauling it back and forth).

So I'm looking at the mowers that are available, and I'm wondering if it's time to try an electric mower- either corded or battery operated. I'm not a fan of corded anything, but they are much less expensive than the bettery operated mowers and I don't have that big of a yard.

Has anyone used either a battery or corded mower? Any brands you'd reccomend? The ones that have the highest/ most ratings on Amazon are B&D mowers.... I'm hesitant to get anything B&D- so if you've used one of those I'd like to know that as well.

Thanks!
    Travis
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

If the difference in power between electric and gas mowers is similar to the differences with other outdoor power equipment, don't bother with electric, you will HATE it every single time you use it...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• charliex
      • Mar 2004
      • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
      • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

When I lived in Hopkins I had 1 of each B&Ds. Fairly small yard and poor, thin grass. The battery power was my favorite but the corded had more power. Batteries lasted about 3 years and cost $70.00 to replace but it's a PITA to haul a 75 ft. cord around especially if you have trees. If I could get by with a cordless here I would love it. My problems are 1. No room for 2 mowers 2. Very thick lawn. 3. I have several large mature maple trees. I mulch leaves in the fall and it takes all the power of my gas mower to handle that. That said, I am seriously considering this one.
      http://www.worxyardtools.com/cordless/lawn-mowers.htm
      I have several of the Worx products and I am very impressed with the quality. Makes the B&D stuff look positively cheap.

Chas

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

The first time you use your electric mower on wet grass with a couple extra days growth, you will curse the day you thought of buying it...

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

You don't want to use any mower on wet grass, but I had an electric for 5 years and loved it. My backyard was all of 25' x 25', but it worked flawlessly.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• williwatt
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Springfield, TN
            • Sears 21829

I like the B&D electrics!

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            The first time you use your electric mower on wet grass with a couple extra days growth, you will curse the day you thought of buying it...
            The first rule when mowing grass is to NOT mow when the grass is wet. There aren't many mowers that do a good job with wet grass, gasoline or electric.

I have owned two B&D electric mowers and I really like them, but if you are going to buy one, make sure you get one with the flip-over handle. The power cord is always on the same side and you start close to the electrical outlet and mow away from it as you mow. My neighbor has a mower without the flip-over handle and it is a PITA to use and it is heavier than the other model. That is also my objection to a cordless mower -- they weigh about 80 lbs as compared to about 40 lbs for the mowers that I own. The mulcher works well on the mower that has that feature.

I was able to catch the last B&D mower I bought on sale on Amazon.com for about $125.

Comment

• Monyet
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2006

I know I'm not being very helpful here, but just wanted to share someone else's experience about building their own electric mower.

http://www.arttec.net/Solar_Mower/

At the very least, it would provide some sort of reference to compare commercial electric mowers along the lines of realistic volts and amps and runtime.

On the other hand, how about a propane powered one?

http://www.golehr.com/
              And click on the mower.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

How big is your new lawn? I started with a corded B&D for my 1/3 acre. The lawn is twice as long as wide. I can cut the grass faster with my new gas
                mower by at least 1/2 hour. It is heavier but not having to deal with a cord is
                a bonus. Gas also has more power so I don't have to work as hard if the grass
                gets too long.

If you have a smaller yard, maybe consider electric. Anything bigger and it will be a PITA. I also have trees, shrubs, and a 3' fence in the middle which made
                cutting with a cord a challenge.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by williwatt
                  The first rule when mowing grass is to NOT mow when the grass is wet. There aren't many mowers that do a good job with wet grass, gasoline or electric.
                  Gentlemen, that's a pipe dream, at least in my neck of the woods... The real first rule in mowing is to mow when the grass needs it. In Florida in the summer, the grass is almost always wet. If you don't mow it wet, you don't mow it at all. This is complicated by the fact that the temp and humidity are both 95+ after 10am, and I, for one, don't feel like stroking out on my lawn... You cannot afford to wait for favorable weather, unless you have a bushhog, because the grass grows a half-inch or more a day. Of course, if your lawn is 25' by 25', the choice doesn't matter; you can mow with scissors.
                  Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 07-01-2010, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Several years ago I rented a 1920's house on a 50' wide lot. With a two car pad in the front the there wasn't much yard. I used a rotary push mower most of the time. It worked great as long as I kept up with the mowing. If I let it get too long a neighbors lawn-boy was in order. The best thing was that I could mow at night when it was only 90 degrees.
                    Erik

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                      The real first rule in mowing is to mow when the grass needs it.
                      I'm confused—I have teenagers to mow the lawn. I thought that's what they were for.

My personal first rule is get somebody else to mow.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

john deere!
                        Last edited by Pappy; 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by gsmittle
                          I'm confused—I have teenagers to mow the lawn. I thought that's what they were for.
                          Tried that when mine was a teenager... He had a plan, though. He mowed over shrubbery, hoses and practically everything else, so that I would (and did) relieve him of that little chore.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • BT-3000, 21829

I'm on my 3rd B&D electric in 36 years. I love engines of any sort, but small engines hate me!

I have a small city lot that takes me about 15 minutes to mow. It's quieter, always starts and no gas to buy. After I mow, I use the cord to power my leaf blower!
                            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

there was a longish thread on mowers about 3-4 months ago, here:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=mower

battery mowers I think you'll be fighting the batteries every two- years and they will be underpowered if you have thick grass.
                              Electrical corded ones you have to be careful about your yard - you can't go in circles, you have to go back and forth. any plantings in the middle will screw you up totally trying to drag the cord around. probably limited power for thick lawns too.
                              Typically a gasoline walkbehind lawnmower has 3.5 to 5 HP. Rememeber all you can get from a 15 or 20A AC outlet to power a motor is about 1.5 to maybe 2 HP. Translated that means slow and tedious cutting and stalling motor.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-30-2010, 11:55 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...