• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

"You do know that doesn't meet code?"

My neighbor is a good friend of a county building inspector (I live in the town so he doesn't inspect here), they walked across the street today to see what I was doing and the inspector looked at the 4' shop lights that I had attached to the ceiling and plugged into an outlet. He pointed and commented "You do know that doesn't meet code?" I did know that but didn't really think it mattered that much so I asked why. He simply stated that code dictates that no lighting fixture that is permanently mounted may be powered via a plug and receptacle. So I again asked Why? He explained that the inexpensive shop lights, that I had screwed to the sheetrock ceiling, need airflow over the top of them to cool the ballast. Mounted tight to the ceiling they over heat and shorten the life of the shop light and in warmer climates can start fires.

We then went on to discuss garage door openers and bathroom light/exhaust fans that plug-in in the fixture. Apparently GD openers are exempted by code and the bath fixture is hard wired in and the plug is inside the fixture so it doesn't count.

Just thought you folk in the warmer climates might want to know about the shop lights.

Bill
    on the Sunny Oregon Coast
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Mine plug into the ceiling. Inspector had no problem with it here. That said, mine are on chains hanging so I suppose they are not 'permanently mounted'. So probably an easy fix if you wanted to put the fixtures on some short chains.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
      Mine plug into the ceiling. Inspector had no problem with it here. That said, mine are on chains hanging so I suppose they are not 'permanently mounted'. So probably an easy fix if you wanted to put the fixtures on some short chains.
      On chains is the way to go. I used an S hook between the fixture and a hook in the ceiling. Seems only needs to be removable and have some airflow over it. Didn't take long to do it but a pain as the lights were up for a while and a bit dusty.

Bill

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
        He explained that the inexpensive shop lights, that I had screwed to the sheetrock ceiling, need airflow over the top of them to cool the ballast. Mounted tight to the ceiling they over heat and shorten the life of the shop light and in warmer climates can start fires.
        Finally, a plausable explanation for the code. I wonder what he might say about mounting them to spacer blocks?

I don't know if his answer is entirely true though. I have some hard wired shop lamps and the other types that plug in. I believe they use the same ballast and it's mounted in a similar manner in the same location.
        Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

After having more than half of mine fail in less than 3 years I'd guess he may be onto something.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Originally posted by pelligrini
            Finally, a plausable explanation for the code. I wonder what he might say about mounting them to spacer blocks?

I don't know if his answer is entirely true though. I have some hard wired shop lamps and the other types that plug in. I believe they use the same ballast and it's mounted in a similar manner in the same location.
            I expect that if the light came with a plug the manufacturer intended for it to hang and have some airflow over it. Thinking about it, I have some fixtures in the laundry room that look a lot like shop lights on the inside and they are surface mounted. They do have a lot more tin in the fixture and that may act as a heatsink for the ballast. Next time he is around I'll ask him about spacer blocks but i expect that permanent and plug are firmly incompatible in the code.

Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

so that doesn't entirely explain it.
              Suppose I cut the plugs off and wired it directly to a junction box to a switch and
              circuit, but still had the fixtures screwed flush to the ceiling sheetrock.

Then, it would meet code but still be a fire hazard?
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                so that doesn't entirely explain it.
                Suppose I cut the plugs off and wired it directly to a junction box to a switch and
                circuit, but still had the fixtures screwed flush to the ceiling sheetrock.

Then, it would meet code but still be a fire hazard?

There are flushmounts like this one that get directly mounted to a finished ceiling that are hard wired.

Using an "S" hook by itself on top of one of those shop lights might be difficult to attach to some type of ceiling hook. A few links of jack chain would make it easier.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                  He simply stated that code dictates that no lighting fixture that is permanently mounted may be powered via a plug and receptacle.
                  Did he cite a code section for that statement? I'm not aware of such a requirement, and a plug and receptacle can provide the "disconnecting means" provided in some sections of NEC.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I agree with Loring. It sounds like the code should be about having a fixture mounted directly to a ceiling, not how it's connected to power...

But overall, I think a LOT of codes are rediculous. For instance, I recently installed a faucet in a claw foot tub. We got a claw foot tub faucet, which mounts to the tub itself. Well, I guess these tubs should be illegal, as they are impossible to be used in compliance with plumbing codes. Although the faucet is above the overflow line, it's not above the spill line. So, if per chance you were filling your tub while there was a clog in the drain (not a stopped drain, because the overflow drain would still prevent it spilling over the tub's rim), and the tub was overflowing, AND there happened to be a fire down the street and the fire department was using a hydrant while your tub was over flowing, there's a chance that some dirty water would be sucked into the water system via the faucet (the hydrant would actually cause negative water pressure).

Seems kinda random and unlikely, but because it could happen in theory, we have to find a faucet that no big box store (Menards, Home Depot, Lowes) carries and spend probably $150-$200 instead of the $25 we spent getting a cheap fixture online...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      There are flushmounts like this one that get directly mounted to a finished ceiling that are hard wired.

Using an "S" hook by itself on top of one of those shop lights might be difficult to attach to some type of ceiling hook. A few links of jack chain would make it easier.
                      Yup, that is the kind of fixture I installed in the laundry room, it did not come with a power cord or chains to hang it and is meant to be flush mounted and hard wired in.

If you put a hooks in the ceiling that are properly spaced the S hook or 8 hook will slip right on. If I use chains then the garage door opening will smash it to bits. That is originally why they were flush mounted. When I rehung the fixtures I put some purchased later, that were thinner, over the door so that they have about a 1/2" clearance. Same as the original ones that were flush mounted. I just have to be careful not to stop the door with the top even with the fixtures, there is enough flex in the door that when it starts down it will smash the tubes, not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

Bill
                      on the Sunny Oregon Coast, now under a thick blanket of marine layer AKA fog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by woodturner
                        Did he cite a code section for that statement? I'm not aware of such a requirement, and a plug and receptacle can provide the "disconnecting means" provided in some sections of NEC.
                        Building inspectors interpret the code and tell you how it applies to your situation. I am sure that if you pursue the code you can find the section he was referring to. I am also sure that you can find something contradictory. That is why they have boards of appeal and courts of law.

Comment

• vanguard
                          Established Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Brighton, MI, USA.
                          • Ridgid TS2400SL

After having more than half of mine fail in less than 3 years I'd guess he may be onto something.
                          I'd agree. I've lost about half of mine as well, but they're on chains. I'm guessing it was the $8 each that walmart was selling them for though.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2007
                            • Tacoma, WA
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                            I agree with Loring. It sounds like the code should be about having a fixture mounted directly to a ceiling, not how it's connected to power...
                            When you cut the power cord off you have modified the fixture, if your house burns down I bet the insurance Co will have something to say about it. As for the code does not simply telling us not to permanently mount a fixture that is intended to be portable and plugged in about cover it?

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                            But overall, I think a LOT of codes are rediculous. For instance, I recently installed a faucet in a claw foot tub. We got a claw foot tub faucet, which mounts to the tub itself. Well, I guess these tubs should be illegal, as they are impossible to be used in compliance with plumbing codes. Although the faucet is above the overflow line, it's not above the spill line. So, if per chance you were filling your tub while there was a clog in the drain (not a stopped drain, because the overflow drain would still prevent it spilling over the tub's rim), and the tub was overflowing, AND there happened to be a fire down the street and the fire department was using a hydrant while your tub was over flowing, there's a chance that some dirty water would be sucked into the water system via the faucet (the hydrant would actually cause negative water pressure).

Seems kinda random and unlikely, but because it could happen in theory, we have to find a faucet that no big box store (Menards, Home Depot, Lowes) carries and spend probably $150-$200 instead of the $25 we spent getting a cheap fixture online...
                            Sounds like you need one of these:

The claw foot tubs that I have seen on display in Home Depot were equipped with this type of faucet. Seems that if you want to spend big bucks for a tub that you should expect to spend more for the faucet.

Back to the shop lights. I am not a building inspector, I gave up my contractors license years ago and have not kept up on the code. I am just passing on what was told to me and..... I thought the part where the life of the ballast was reduced by over heating when fixtures that were meant to hang were surface mounted to a solid ceiling was significant. Even more significant was the issue of a fire hazard. If you want to hard wire some cheap shop lights and screw them to the ceiling just so you can say it meets the code don't complain when they only last a year or so or if your shop burns down, although I expect that you would be looking to sue someone if that happens.

Bill
                            seeing clearly in the fog.
                            Last edited by Mr__Bill; 06-22-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

The instruction sheet for my 4 footers show surface mounting as well as drop chain mounting. I don't think it's a problem. And it's not like I live in a cool climate.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...