• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Bye Bye Stump

This is pretty much of what's left from the Mango tree I cut down. I used charcoal briquettes on the remainder of the stump. The Pepsi can is sitting on the last to be burned out, the rest of it is gone. The hole to the right of the can is about 10" deep.

The stump smolders for days and the back yard sure does smell sweet.

Last edited by cabinetman; 05-24-2010, 09:28 AM.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have a beech stump I have been trying to get to burn out. How on earth are you getting that Mango to burn? I have to keep a HOT fire directly against the stump to get it to do ANYTHING...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
      I have a beech stump I have been trying to get to burn out. How on earth are you getting that Mango to burn? I have to keep a HOT fire directly against the stump to get it to do ANYTHING...

Mango is full of sap, and it will dry out and burn. It sort of just smolders and turns to a charcoal texture and just falls apart. This is the third application of briquettes. I just pile them up like a pyramid 'til the briquettes turn white, and then spread them out but arrange them to be 3-4 briquettes deep.

Keep an eye on it because the stump will smolder long after the briquettes are done. It will smolder for days. I think one more application will take out the section the can is sitting on. You just have to keep it hot.

When doing a new application, sweep off the burnt stuff so what's left is not dust ridden and apply more briquettes. You may have to just move the debris to a clean area away from the stump, because it may still be hot.

The first stump I ever did I never thought there would be an end. But, it's better than chopping or screwing up a chainsaw. I leveled the stump to about 4" before starting the burning.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
        Mango is full of sap, and it will dry out and burn. It sort of just smolders and turns to a charcoal texture and just falls apart. This is the third application of briquettes. I just pile them up like a pyramid 'til the briquettes turn white, and then spread them out but arrange them to be 3-4 briquettes deep.

Keep an eye on it because the stump will smolder long after the briquettes are done. It will smolder for days. I think one more application will take out the section the can is sitting on. You just have to keep it hot.

When doing a new application, sweep off the burnt stuff so what's left is not dust ridden and apply more briquettes. You may have to just move the debris to a clean area away from the stump, because it may still be hot.

The first stump I ever did I never thought there would be an end. But, it's better than chopping or screwing up a chainsaw. I leveled the stump to about 4" before starting the burning.
        I should have started shorter... But there are nails embedded in the lowest 12" of the stump (it grew into the fence, and absorbed the nails, not certain where they are, don't want to risk kickback...)

I might just have to buy a few bags of cheapie wally world charcoal to finish this sucker off... It's about half of what I started with... I have heard some guys say to build a ring of hardware cloth to hold the charcoal in, fill with charcoal, and light.... I have the HW cloth in the shop, but it is REALLY hard to get to... Might just have to bite the bullet and do it... Once the big one is done, I have 2 more small ones (3" diameter or less) that need to get done, and I am ready to dig post holes and get that fence up. Finally!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Hey Cab,

I'm disappointed, what no C-4.

You're getting soft in your old age.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Did you slice the tree up for lumber?

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

That may take a bit longer, but it sure beats hacking it out of the ground with an axe. We lost two more oaks to Oak wilt last summer. I might give that a try.
              Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                Did you slice the tree up for lumber?
                Me? Yeah the stuff that wasn't turned to splinters by the storm. Most of it went to the lathe for learning and practice. I have found more than a few fractures in it... One of the logs was left to spalt a little too long... I don't think I need to tell you what the result of that was...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

I have in the past gotten rid of stumps by drilling them and then soaking them with left over gas, Coleman fuel or kerosene. Several applications and it's gone. If you light it the first time at night it can be rather spectacular. The charcoal way allows you to sit around and make smorres and toast hot dogs, cant say I would want to do that with the kerosene fire way.

Bill

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                    I have in the past gotten rid of stumps by drilling them and then soaking them with left over gas, Coleman fuel or kerosene. Several applications and it's gone. If you light it the first time at night it can be rather spectacular. The charcoal way allows you to sit around and make smorres and toast hot dogs, cant say I would want to do that with the kerosene fire way.

Bill
                    I tried that. No joy... This stupid stump is swiss cheese... The only thing that seems to even vaguely be working is building a hot fire of scrap wood around it, and keeping that burning. And it isn't a fast process... I will be happy if it ends up below grade, and dead. Mother nature can take care of it the rest of the way...

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Try diesel fuel. Drill some 3/4" holes in the stump a few inches deep. Fill each hole and let it soak in. Do this a few times, then use the charcoal to get it going. The diesel should keep it burning.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I tried that. No joy... This stupid stump is swiss cheese... The only thing that seems to even vaguely be working is building a hot fire of scrap wood around it, and keeping that burning. And it isn't a fast process... I will be happy if it ends up below grade, and dead. Mother nature can take care of it the rest of the way...

I've tried the boring holes and pouring in the stump killer. That could take many months. Using scrap wood will burn out too fast. Try the charcoal. It doesn't make a lot of smoke. You don't want a neighbor calling the fire department. At least with the charcoal, if a big red truck shows up with a water hose, you could be sitting there with marshmallows on a stick.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Tacoma, WA
                          • BT3000

Sounds like you need Napalm!

Another thing that may work is one of those blowtorches that you hook up to your BBQ grill gas tank.

There is also the eco-friendly way too. Fry up lots of bacon and pour the bacon grease on the old stump. Mother Nature will send her helpers to feed and eat away that stump in no time at all.

Bill

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            I've tried the boring holes and pouring in the stump killer. That could take many months. Using scrap wood will burn out too fast. Try the charcoal. It doesn't make a lot of smoke. You don't want a neighbor calling the fire department. At least with the charcoal, if a big red truck shows up with a water hose, you could be sitting there with marshmallows on a stick.
                            Which is why I mentioned the hardware cloth idea others have told me about...

I won't have a chance to continue the burn until this weekend if the weather holds out that is... So I am kind of at a stopping point. For now...

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I spent some quality time last night with the chain saw, my metal detector, and my stump. The nails that WERE in it, had already burnt out. The approx 36" diameter stump was burnt down to about 24" dia, and where the nails where was the part that burned out... So I was able to clear them, then chainsaw the rest of the stump down to about 2 - 4" above grade. I have to pick up a bit of brick or something to hold coals up though, the city side of the stump is on a good slope. I might just build that up with soil temporarily just to keep the coals from rolling down the hill...

Now I need to pray for no rain this weekend... My idea is to pick up about 2 or 3 large bags of Walmart's large briquettes. They burn slow and hot. But not too hot.

Comment

Working...