X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krogers
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Garden City, New York, USA.

As always, you guys are a wealth of information. You have straightened me out on my meter problems and given me a lot to go research. Loring I do understand open and closed circuits and how that relates to volts and amps. However the relationship to resistance was giving me trouble. After reading and rereading your posts I finally visualized what you were trying to say. I had the concept of what was being measured in resistance backwards. And after reading my previous posts I hope we are able to just delete this thread when I get the dryer fixed. I don't want anyone else to be confused by my stupidity. It has been a long time since high school physics and I don't get to do electronic repair every day. Now if someone would just start a thread on investment asset allocation, then I could jump in with some advice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by krogers
      I do understand open and closed circuits and how that relates to volts and amps. However the relationship to resistance was giving me trouble. After reading and rereading your posts I finally visualized what you were trying to say. I had the concept of what was being measured in resistance backwards. ...
      That's called Ohm's law, the cornerstone of electricity.

Volts/resistance(ohms) = Current(Amps)
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Kristofor
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        length is immaterial to the measurement of resistance in that a long object is not necessarily has more resistance than a short object. It depends on the material. If the long and short are made of the same material then the
        resistance MAY be greater for the longer one IF the width is the same...
        Sort of off topic but,

What types of materials don't increase resistance as length increases if the cross-section remains the same (as in I'm curious, not disagreeing )? I thought that was sort of an inherent property of conductors? Is that considering physical configuration (coiled vs. straight or whatever)?

Thanks,
        Kristofor.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

What types of materials don't increase resistance as length increases if the cross-section remains the same (as in I'm curious, not disagreeing )? I thought that was sort of an inherent property of conductors? Is that considering physical configuration (coiled vs. straight or whatever)?
          the short answer is he was confusing resistance with resistivity
          resistance is measured in ohms and resistivity is in ohms/length.

Just because its long doesn't mean its high resistance as he was expecting.

A one-ohm wire 12 inches long is one ohm, a one ohm 10 foot wire is also one ohm.
          I was pointing out that length alone is not a determination of resistance.

In reality, it depends on material and cross section area as well.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-11-2006, 03:57 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• krogers
            Established Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Garden City, New York, USA.

Problem Solved!

The dryer is fixed! Despite my initial trouble with the meter I managed to isolate a thermal fuse as the problem. I found a new thermal fuse locally for $13 and had the dryer up and running this morning. Thank you BigSteel15 and Loring for all of your help, guidance and assistance.

I was concerned about the reason why the fuse "blew" in the first place. Most threads I had read on the subject suggested checking the exhaust for a clog or obstruction. The seemed strange to me because I am diligent about clearing lint and checking the exhaust. However as I was disassembling parts of the dryer I discovered a dryer sheet that had managed to fit perfectly flat over the exhaust grate just inside the door. Noone had noticed it sitting there. I am hoping this was the cause of the problem and not something more sinister. Thank you again to everyone for helping me save some money on this repair.

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by krogers
              The dryer is fixed! Despite my initial trouble with the meter I managed to isolate a thermal fuse as the problem.
              What ever happened to good old fashioned thermosats? They reset as soon as everything cooled down.

Glad you got it fixed, but I think you may still have a problem based on your original complaint of no heat. However, do make sure that the lint trap is cleaned after every load and that you don't have an obstruction or plugged vent line.
              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

Working...