X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GilbertoHernanded
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2019

Steel City Saw Model No. 45925G

I'm looking to invest in my first table saw ever. I found a Steel City granite counter top table saw listed on Craigslist. I know the company is out of business, but it looks like a solid saw. Asking price is $450. Does anyone have any experience with this saw? Should invest in this saw or should I save my money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I would not recommend anyone purchase their first table saw from an out of business manufacture. Sooner or later you will need replacement parts, will they be available? That saw may be manufactured and branded under a number of companies, ie. Grizzly, Jet, Craftsman etc. Do your research, if parts are still available under another manufacturer name it might make you a good saw. If no,... run.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

What do you want to build? What sorts of wood will you cut with it? Those will tell us more about what you should buy. That saw was never a great one at all, so there are others I'd look at first.

Comment

• GilbertoHernanded
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2019

Thank you both for your advice. I've tried finding a manufacturer that still makes parts for this saw but have not been able to contact anyone. I found a Canadian company that used to make parts for this saw and I gave them a call. My call was answered by an automated system that directed me to this site https://www.steelcitymachines.ca/. I've submitted an inquiry asking whether or not they still supply parts for this saw. The asking price for the price has since gone down to $350. So, I'll keep ya'll posted on whether they still supply parts for this saw. Thanks again!!

Comment

• GilbertoHernanded
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2019

In the meantime, I'll keep researching other options and saving money.

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

If you can truly steal it, say under $300, it might be worth it. I'm not sure, since that specific model was never on my list. I did strongly consider their cabinet saw ($2500-ish) but ended up finding a Unisaw for a steal.

Comment

• GilbertoHernanded
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2019

So, I just heard back from steelcitymachines.ca. I emailed them last night and they responded already, which is a good sign as far as customer service goes. Terry, one of their representatives, says that they still produce and sell this table saw in Canada and supply parts in the U.S. through NOMRAD in Ontario Canada.

Comment

• GilbertoHernanded
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2019

Follow Up: I did not buy the Steel City Saw after all. I really wanted a Grizzly G0771Z, but those sell for about $1000 (shipping included). Unfortunately, I did not have $1000 to spend on a table saw. What I did buy was an old Craftsman 113.298762 that was listed on CL for $50. The man selling it had already purchased a lighter newer saw with a mobile base, as he was tired of moving the older heavier saw around his shop. He agreed to let it go for $50. The motor runs great, albeit a bit loud. I plan on replacing the older cast pulleys with machine pulleys and replacing the v-belt with a link belt. This (I've read on this site) should help reduce vibration and noise. I also plan on updating the fence with a Shop Fox W1410 (has excellent reviews), removing all rust and painting underside with Rustoleum oil base paint. After all upgrades I should be around $350 in on the saw. I'm sure there are better saws on the market that I could buy for this price, but I just like the appeal of owning something that I've restores. Hopefully the elbow grease and improvements extend the saws life by 5-10 years.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by GilbertoHernanded
                  Follow Up: I did not buy the Steel City Saw after all. I really wanted a Grizzly G0771Z, but those sell for about $1000 (shipping included). Unfortunately, I did not have $1000 to spend on a table saw. What I did buy was an old Craftsman 113.298762 that was listed on CL for $50. The man selling it had already purchased a lighter newer saw with a mobile base, as he was tired of moving the older heavier saw around his shop. He agreed to let it go for $50. The motor runs great, albeit a bit loud. I plan on replacing the older cast pulleys with machine pulleys and replacing the v-belt with a link belt. This (I've read on this site) should help reduce vibration and noise. I also plan on updating the fence with a Shop Fox W1410 (has excellent reviews), removing all rust and painting underside with Rustoleum oil base paint. After all upgrades I should be around $350 in on the saw. I'm sure there are better saws on the market that I could buy for this price, but I just like the appeal of owning something that I've restores. Hopefully the elbow grease and improvements extend the saws life by 5-10 years.
                  Enjoy your project saw!

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• durango dude
                    • Mar 2011
                    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I have a 1957 contractor saw. I love mine

A) get a good blade. I use a diablo all purpose. 10-40

b) make s zero clearance plate. They're easy and very useful. Get a splitter kit, too.

C) safety... get push sticks and push blocks.

D) my biggest headache is my rip fence. However, everything got better when I bought a wood river miter gauge. Now, I use it to line up my fence.

Iif you replace the fence, I suggest the Vega 24 from Rockler.

E) Eventually, you'll want a dado. Get a throat plate to go with it.

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I cleaned up my saw with engine cleaner and an old sander with super fine grit. Then, I waxed it with turtle wax. I treat the surface twice a year.

On the fence, the nova is better than the shop fox.
                      plus, they're on sale at Rockler.

I'd hold off the fence. With practice and a good reference (miter gauge in my case), alignment can get easier.

Put your money into safety and sharp blade first.

Comment

Working...