X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcescher
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2018

Jointer Blades

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but looked around and didn't really see any better place.

I was gifted a used Tradesman 6 1/8" jointer (J1550W) from my dad. It has a chip out of the blades so it leaves a line on the wood. Is there a place to purchase replacement knives? I had seen another post where the answer to the OP was to just find some that looked the same. Can I just get some blades that are the same size and shape and be OK? Suggestions for sources?

Thanks so much!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Measure them carefully and you may find some to fit, infinity has a line of replacement jointer blades.

FOr the time being, you can often shift blades a bit to the sides. Presumably the blades have hit something hard to put a nick in them, try shifting one bade slightly to one side or the other (won't take very far) and then realigning the height and you may eliminate that line.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Are these blades reversible? ( 2 sided )

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Grizzly Industrial carries a good variety of jointer knives which may be helpful http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(6+A...nter+OR+knives)

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii
          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Usually all 6" knives are the same or inter-changeable. If what Lchien suggest don't work then U will have to sharpen or change the knives. When changing do not completely remove the hold down bar, just loosen the bolts/screws and lift the blades out slowly ( there might be springs under the knife ) and insert the new knife. Do one at a time usually will have 3 knives. Follow your instruction manual for setting and jointing the knives correctly before using.

Comment

• mcescher
            Handtools only
            • Apr 2018

Thanks everybody, lots of good information.

Comment

Working...