router bit question...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #46
    Don't be hesitant to use bits with ¼" shanks. There was a time when all I had was a router that would accept ¼" shanks. If used properly, they are very dependable bits. When inserting them into the collet, push them all the way down and then pull them up slightly so they don't bottom out.

    Having as much shank in the collet will minimize the possibility of breakage. If bits are installed properly, and the router feed isn't too fast, or that too much of a cut is being taken, they run just fine. I do find solid carbide bits (cutter and shank) are very brittle, and are more likely to break than a steel shank bit.

    .

    Comment

    • steveg
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2010
      • 71
      • Norman, OK
      • Craftsman 315.228110 (Ryobi BT3000)

      #47
      Wow, guys, more great info. SO much to re-read through and think about.

      Cabinetman, GREAT advice on making your own router table/fence, and WHY oh WHY did you show me that "micro fence? I can see just by looking that it is an AWESOME addition (with price to match, of course). I guess I can take heart in the fact that I am NOT THAT GOOD to need a tool that precise!

      Seriously, though, in my mind I can even imagine ways to set that thing up to allow your router to do what an edge jointer will do...

      Steve

      Comment

      Working...