• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Review my earlier recommendation for the Rousseau folding planer cart. I love mine to death. You will for the AP1300 need to purchase a wide planer kit for the cart, as the standard wing pivots will not allow clearance of the AP1300's fold-down in/out surfaces. DAMHIKT

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I had the idea of making my own.

What I envision is making a stand for the planer where it can somehow fit under the benches, flip up (or be placed on) and make my drill press cart the exact height needed to become an outfeed table. If I can make one of them also function as an outfeed table for the saw, that would be a huge bonus.

I'm going to have to sit down next week and plan this stuff out.

And if I do indeed grab both the drill press and planer this weekend, this thread could probably be merged with my workshop thread. Only major purchase left on my list would be the BS.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

The shed is a bit more crowded today. A DP1550 and a AP1300 are the new additions!

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

I tried to write this yesterday, but there were shenanigans afoot.

I'm currently trying to make chair legs for a table I'm planning to build, and I still have a Morris Chair project in the off that I'd like to make. As such, I need a better way of cutting curves and more precise cuts than I have now.

Currently I have two jigsaws, one corded and one cordless, that literally aren't cutting it. Partially because I have no great way of preventing vibration, partially because the saws I have suck.

Rockler is going to have the Bosch 1587 on sale with some blades for $99 starting Friday. I've been told this is a good jig. I've been trying desperately to find a 14" BS.

The question is, should I spend the money on a good (but third) jigsaw and make do, save that $100 and put it toward the BS, or use a smaller BS like a 10" or 12" and flip it later on at a small financial hit when I get the bigger one?

Knowing that the jig or the 10-12" BS won't resaw, which I have no need for in the foreseeable future.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I'd save the coin for the bandsaw you want. A decent jigsaw is nice to have, but I think it is a luxury. I picked up a bosh barrell grip a short while back during a managers special. I don't use it all that often, but it sure is nice when I do.

A decent coping saw will do curves fairly well, if youre stock isn't too thick.
            Erik

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

While I am not crammed into as small of a space as you, I do have a few space saving ideas that are working well for me... I hope they can help you too...

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
              So, for the drill press - I guess right now I'm looking at several of the HF models, plus the Ryobi DP121L (the variable speed control seems like it's worth the $50 over the DP102L) and possibly the Craftsman with the digital depth control. I'm fine with a benchtop, I plan to make/use a rolling stand to best use space in the shop. I know that using a mortising attachment isn't preferred, but I'd like the option. That's most likely the most use I'll get out of the drill press. That and of course making 90 degree holes. I'll most likely make my own table for it too.
              For what it's worth, the DP121L seems to get consistently good reviews, which is NOT something you often can say about bench top drill presses.

If you decide to go with the Central Machinery models, take a serious look at the #44386 12 speed. Those additional quill speeds are VERY important if you want to drill bigger holes... A couple of guys here own them, and seem to like them. That model makes most HF Gems lists that I have seen...

For the band saw - am I really just looking for anything at this point? Like I said, I know my budget isn't going to allow for resawing. But I will need something for making the cuts to where a bandsaw would best be used. Should I just get the cheapest thing there is, knowing that in a few years I'll be going big?
              Be patient, and watch Craigslist, yes there are snipers out there, but they don't catch all the good stuff... A 14" band saw with riser block is a good investment, although it can make your shop a bit more crowded. I have seen them in shops your size, just get creative and make storage around the saw...

Planer - this is the thing I want most, but I will probably pick up last. Depends on if my morris chair project will call for it. Are the consensus picks the R4330 or DW734?
              The reasons that people seem to like the Ridgid and DeWalt planers are the cutter head locks, which reduce snipe. Now mind you, I said REDUCE, not ELIMINATE. Fact is, bench top planers snipe. It's a fact of life, I simply factor in that and figure I am going to have to cut a couple of inches off the ends. For that, I use my Ryobi AP1301, which has been a great planer aside from the snipe issue. Dust collection could be a little better as well, but from what I have seen, that seems universal to planers...

I keep drooling over mortisers, but I have found that I do all of my mortises with the drill press and a chisel. I don't need a dedicated machine... Or even a mortising attachment. You might find the hassle of setting up a mortising attachment just isn't worth it to you unless you are going to do a LOT of mortises all at once...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Sorry db, I probably should have made a new thread. The Ridgid DP15501 and the Ryobi AP1300 filled the need on those ends.

As it stands now, I have made room for a big band saw. I actually have more room now than I've ever had before. I might put some pics up during lunch.

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

One of my first projects was a coffee table made of 2X.. construction lumber mostly for training. At that time I did not have a bandsaw so legs were made out of 2X10 lumber with curved cuts made on a scroll saw. Cutting 1.5" thick material on a scroll saw was tough but doable. The table came out better than I expected, after dark stain was applied it even looked decent. Construction lumber is always poor quality, after few months the wood moved (surface warped a bit) and I decided to toss the table. My MIL claimed it and the table still stands in her summer house living room. The statement here - you can do quite a bit with even simplest tools.
                  The difference between good and bad jig saw is that good saw can be controlled and it will make cuts that you want. Bad saw will do what it wants and everything will come out crooked. 1587 is a very good saw. This is the saw I have (in Craftsman clothing). Before it I had some B&D class jig saw - I tossed it when I got 1587. If you have a small shop - buy only few tools but chose good ones. In my opinion good jig saw is a necessity. Nothing can replace it if you need, for instance, cut a sink opening in a counter.
                  I have an old (1993 make) Craftsman 12" band saw. This saw has similarities with modern sheet-metal saws like Ricoh. It does not take a riser but it can natively resaw 6" board. So far I have not needed more. It takes fairly common 80" blades up to 1/2" width. With a good quality (Olson All-Pro) 3 tpi blade it makes respectable resaw cuts. I believe this type of saw can still be had from CL or E-bay and its a lot cheaper than modern 14".
                  Good luck with your projects.
                  Alex V

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Well, I've got a line on yet another 14" Ridgid for a decent price. This one needs a blade, not sure what exactly that means. Hopefully will find out in a bit.

I want to hit something really hard. Saw wasn't up for an hour before it was sold. I'm at the point where I'm so frustrated I don't even care about this anymore.
                    Last edited by Cochese; 11-28-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I have not seen mention of Estate Sales. This is a great place to pick up good shop tools. I've seen numerous wood working shops sold this year with everything down to the dust being sold. Watch the papers and their on line adds and get to the site early. You have be there when the door opens and ready to act fast, none of this going back to the store to compare prices, cause it will be gone when you get back. Most estate sales here seem to be fri/sat sales, with saturdays being the day that you find out what good stuff was sold on friday. I've seen $75 band saws, $50 radial arm saws, $50 table saws, $150 lathes/bench/all tools, $25 compressors, $100 planers, $75 joiners. My shop is full but I still go to these sales and come home with great deals on chisels, saw blades, boxes of planes and 5 gallon buckets full of clamps. Your area should have more estate sales than sw ga. so keep watching the papers. It does not appear that the people running the estate sales know the value of shop tools as well as they know furniture.
                      capncarl

Comment

• eezlock
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Charlotte,N.C.
                        • BT3100

equipping the workshop smartly

I'm not going to comment on all the tools/machines you listed in your post...
                        but I will say this. In making tool purchases, the best thing is, to buy the best
                        that you can afford at the time. You are going to spend the money in one way or the other...."buy the best cry once, buy cheap, cry twice". From your
                        address I see that you live not too far from Atlanta, GA. I would check the phone book for major mfg. tool repair centers and tool outlets in that area.
                        They may have some factory repaired/ re-man units that will sell for considerably less than cost of new one's and will work like new with some
                        warranty left on these machines. Craig's list is ok for what it is....but it is a
                        buyer be aware situation here. Local estate auctions often have good tools
                        for sale and is another source of equipment that has sat idle for long periods
                        of time that are in need of a new home. Some things to think about, hope it helps.

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by capncarl
                          I have not seen mention of Estate Sales. This is a great place to pick up good shop tools. I've seen numerous wood working shops sold this year with everything down to the dust being sold. Watch the papers and their on line adds and get to the site early. You have be there when the door opens and ready to act fast, none of this going back to the store to compare prices, cause it will be gone when you get back. Most estate sales here seem to be fri/sat sales, with saturdays being the day that you find out what good stuff was sold on friday. I've seen $75 band saws, $50 radial arm saws, $50 table saws, $150 lathes/bench/all tools, $25 compressors, $100 planers, $75 joiners. My shop is full but I still go to these sales and come home with great deals on chisels, saw blades, boxes of planes and 5 gallon buckets full of clamps. Your area should have more estate sales than sw ga. so keep watching the papers. It does not appear that the people running the estate sales know the value of shop tools as well as they know furniture.
                          capncarl
                          Unfortunately with the way my schedule works, I could never make one. As of right now I think I'll be buying new.

Right now the Grizzly is at the top of the list.

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

I was wondering if anyone could give me input on what a Delta 28-203 goes for these days. 3/4hp (I assume) motor, closed base and stock resaw height.

Comment

Working...