X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

I think what LCHIEN

is saying in affect, sharpen your plane and chisels with a whetstone. Grinders are bad for sharpening because of heat for one thing and taking a lot of metal off the blade. And "...cringe at pawn shops.", because of price to actual value there. I may be wrong in what LCHIEN is meaning, (been married twice!), but I believe that's his point. And both are valid. Hope I'm right and that helps you.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Originally posted by RAFlorida
      is saying in affect, sharpen your plane and chisels with a whetstone. Grinders are bad for sharpening because of heat for one thing and taking a lot of metal off the blade. And "...cringe at pawn shops.", because of price to actual value there. I may be wrong in what LCHIEN is meaning, (been married twice!), but I believe that's his point. And both are valid. Hope I'm right and that helps you.
      Thanks for your input, RA. I just posted a reply to this and it seemed to dissapear??!
      Anyway, you are saying that you don't want to lose the temper in the tool. That I understand, but there are various methods to avoid losing the temper while using a grinding wheel, no?
      Such as the worksharp system, which uses a heat sink, any wheel with a good trough to cool the blade, etc. If I am wrong here, please let me know and I'll return my $200 Worksharp.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Just to throw my hat in the ring as it were. Pawn shops in the Galveston Bay Area really suck bargains wise. I wouldn't even think of going there. Used up tools for more coin than a brand new equivalent? Why bother?

You want a grinder, go to HD and grab a Ryobi 6" for $39.00. You want a chisel set? There are lots of bargains on really good chisels to be had at the big box stores. Not to mention the woodworking specialty shops.

Shop the sales and coupons, or check out Craigs list... These days, just about anything is better than pawn shops...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by RAFlorida
          exactly. Thx.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...