• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

There's a flea market about 30 mins away, its got acres of vendors, maybe I can find some nice handtools/grinder
    as long as there is not noticeable runout on the grinder why not? As for the hand tools, what are some things to look for?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• kevincan
      Established Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Central Illinois
      • Craftsman 21829

I agree with Cabinetman. If you want a deal yard/garage sales and flea markets are the way to go. The bad part of yard/garage sales is that you will spend a lot of time looking for woodworking items. You need to scan the ads to see what they are selling and then get up early and start looking. The other thing to look for is older furniture - can be used for shop cabinets, refinished or used for parts/wood - can get great deals usually on these.

Kevin

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by kevincan
        <snip> The other thing to look for is older furniture - can be used for shop cabinets, refinished or used for parts/wood - can get great deals usually on these.

Kevin
        You must have been sneeking into my shop, Kevin. Old kitchen cabinets and re-purposed furniture are now filled with tools and supplies or are mounted on wheels and move my planer about the shop. I intend to build shop cabs but until then these free babies keep the place from looking like a dump. OK, it does look like a dump but it doesn't have to.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• jovani
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2007

pawnshops

I agree with everyones comments. We have several pawnshops around here, and a number of times when I have checked their prices on items that are clean, their prices are higher than the new tools.

Once they had several used, Sears cordless tool set for $150.00 and they were under $100. new. Just for curiosity, I went back several weeks later and all were gone.

I often wonder, how in the world, people buy, mostly abused tools for outrageous prices. Also, I don't know how they can stay in business. The musical instruments that are new are cheap instruments you can get for 15-20% of what they are asking.
          Can it be they sell these tools overseas?

I suggest you place an ad in your local paper or use craiglist.

Comment

• FEDSAWDAVE
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2008
            • Tampa Bay, Fl.

Excellant point about e-bay. I've seen many tools listed there that are being sold by pawn shops.

Heck, if any of you are interested, I think darn near every pawn shop in the Florida market is loaded with roofing nailers. Economy and all...
            WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've found some good deals on power tools at pawnshops. However, the good deals are few and far between. Only if I have some time to kill to I go into one of those, and when I do it's usually in and out in 5 minutes flat.

The trick to get a good deal is to flat out ask for a cheaper price. Sometimes they'll lower it, sometimes they won't. Either way, can't hurt to ask...

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Sure doesn't, I tried to swap an older miter saw for a drill press they had at one shop, but no go. They wanted cash and had too many miter saws gathering dust!
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                  I've found some good deals on power tools at pawnshops. However, the good deals are few and far between. Only if I have some time to kill to I go into one of those, and when I do it's usually in and out in 5 minutes flat.

The trick to get a good deal is to flat out ask for a cheaper price. Sometimes they'll lower it, sometimes they won't. Either way, can't hurt to ask...

Sometimes I look at the listed price and I think that 50% off would still be way too much.... to get to a reasonable price where the midpoint of bargaining would end up what I felt it was worth I'd have to suggest a price around 10-20% of asking price. I don't know about you but if someone offered me 10% of what I was aksing for someting I'd be insulted and I'd certainly feel uncomfortable suggesting such a price to someone... basically you are saying "you're stupid" or "you're trying to rip me off" or "I'm trying to rip you off", none of which are conducive to good business.
                  Totally ridiculous prices are just a turn off, just like those BT3100 ads on Craig's list where they offer it for $500 firm.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

Just got back from picking up 2 items from a local Pawn Shop. I won these on EBay
                    1. Item #330201933225 New Sirius SV3 Status Satellite Radio. $25.16 + tax
                    2. Item #330201478088 New Rlyobi SS39 18In. #0cc String trimmer $42.50 + tax

I probably wouldn't have bid especially on the trimmer, $30 shipping would have been to much.

I have been looking for a new trimmer and this is fine. Also looking a Sirus Radio for my truck as LOML approprated my original for her car.

I was thinking of bidding on Ryobi 18v Combo set with two bad batteries, but it has gone over $35 so I will not bid. I usually wait till the very end and bid once and if I get out bid fine. I have got into bidding wars on occasion but try to refrain from it if possible.

You have to be careful with Pawn Shops and what they charge. This particular one is very fair and honest even on EBay. They had some other intersting things on display for sale and may go back and look later for a compressor. With the down turn in home building here there are a lot fairly new tools for sale, even on Craigslist.

Tom

Comment

• messmaker
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2004
                      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                      • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by BigguyZ

Same here. You gotta hit them often.I spend about 30 min every couple of weeks. Be ready. Last week got a Makita C. saw for $23 and a PC350 nailer for $40. It had been several months since I found anything. I get almost no tools off E-bay as they often go for retail or more once shipping is added. I have great luck with Craigslist for both buying and selling.
                      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• eezlock
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Charlotte,N.C.
                        • BT3100

pawn shops?

Well, it is sort of a buyer beware situation most of time. I have picked up a couple (meaning 2) power tools form a pawn shop in the past, but haven't found anything that I wanted or would consider buying from them in a long time. I found one pawn shop " deal" that was priced higher there than the item was sold for new at Sears! Needless to say...I kept on walking on that one.... eezlock

Comment

• BrazosJake
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Benbrook, TX.
                          • Emerson-built Craftsman

I think Ebay has killed any pawnshop bargains on hand tools. I occasionaly find a cheapie block plane for a buck or two, or once, a vintage Greenlee chisel for $1. But if you're expecting to find good old Stanley bench planes or 750 chisels, you may be wasting your time. All the pawnbrokers have to do is search completed auctions on ebay, and they have an idea what it's worth and list it there. I know some of the vintage stuff I see on ebay is listed by pawn shops.

For chisels, I've actually had better luck at flea markets and antique malls, though I live in North Texas, which is old tool ****, unless your interested in farm & ranch or old oilfield rust.

Comment

• rnelson0
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2008
                            • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                            • Firestorm FS2500TS

I just got into woodworking over Christmas. The last time I did anything more than screw together something broken in the house or put up a shelf was in my Dad's house while growing up. I had a set of Ryobi portable tools (circular, jig, and reciprocating saws) but that's it. I used Craigslist to get the rest because I don't want to worry about shipping and receiving with eBay. Here are some of the deals:

Miter saw w/table stand - $100 - retails for $189 on sale at Sears, new model features laser but everything else is the same. It's got a 4" fence and a single bevel for compound cuts. The adjustments are nice, this is the top end 10" from Craftsman before you get into double bevels or sliding.
                            Table saw - $120 - I got a Firestorm 2500 TS. Maybe not the best, but in this area everything else was either a hunk of junk or $500. Also, in brand new table saws, I'd have to go above $200 to find something with separate knobs for adjusting height and angle. It has a nice fence, easy adjustments, and a 3" vacuum hookup.
                            Circular Saw - $80 - Older craftsman 7.25". I don't think this was the best deal, but so be it. Do your research ahead of time. It works quite well so it's not a total waste, but still...I'd have rather spent less on a newer one from a less reputable brand.

All devices were either unused or barely used. The people with the miter saw bought it for a renovation, then moved before they even started. The table saw sat in a shed so it has a wee bit of surface rust, but the guy had never even plugged it in - the power cord still had a tie wrap and plastic bag over it. The circular was used a few times but the people got divorced and had no need for it, I'll probably be buying a new blade since they abused the one on it. I won't be keeping the tools forever, but where else can you spend $300 to get a circular, table, and miter saw?

Yard sales are great places, but if you live in the North, that puts a 1 to 3 month moratorium on those for you. I had Christmas money to spend, so I couldn't be that patient

Comment

• williamr
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2006
                              • Mazatlan or Toronto
                              • BT3000SX

Originally posted by Woodwerker
                              This may sound crazy, but Ebay hurt the pawn shop deals. I know a guy who owns a few pawn shops. Every item he puts on the floor he checks Ebay and adds 10-15% to what it sold for on Ebay. In the old days I used to get deals there, no more :-(
                              I can relate...

Used to own an independent business. A couple of "BIG" chains rolled into town just as at my biggest client a new purchaser took over buying high tech stuff. He started buying from them and then got complaints from all the users in the company -- they liked my service -- I could actually hep them install and use the equipment correctly. I saved them time and money.

After being directed to return to dealing with me, he phoned me and chewed me out with language more befitting a drunken pirate, then told me I would have to match price -- I decided to blow him off as a client so I asked him to tell me what he needed and what price I had to match. He gave a long list with all the prices. All I could hear was the blood rushing in my ears. I meekly caved in and accepted the 20% rise in my prices. Not only that I got the sympathy of all the users for accepting my "downgrade" in fortunes.

Sometimes it works for you... Depends on your position in the scheme of things.

---
                              will

Comment

• herb fellows
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2007
                                • New York City
                                • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                                actually i was shuddering because you said you were planning to use a grinder on planes and chisels.
                                I merely cringe at pawn shops.
                                Please explain, I'm not following your thoughts on this. Am I missing something here?
                                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Working...