• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Sunday morning project

My son in law owns a small island in the Duluth Superior area. I have never been there so I don't know exactly where it is. Anyway, it needed a new sign so we made one with the Rockler State Park sign making template on Sunday morning. He stained and painted it and finished it tonight.

It was his first time using a router and he got hung up a bit on each of the "S"s but all in all it turned out pretty well.

I did the vertical line of the "B" and he did everything else. It's made from a 4' pressure treated 2x8 so it should easily outlast me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210916_195056.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	845452
    Chr's
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nice looking sign. Bright colors really make them pop.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Nice sign, he did good!

Signs by router is not easy. I did a couple years ago with a template from Rockler, but the router jumped around a bit and some of the edges (of the letters) were not so sharp that I gave up and never picked it up again. That template sits somewhere in my shop unused. Maybe I should try again.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by radhak
        Nice sign, he did good!
        Signs by router is not easy. I did a couple years ago with a template from Rockler, but the router jumped around a bit and some of the edges (of the letters) were not so sharp that I gave up and never picked it up again. That template sits somewhere in my shop unused. Maybe I should try again.
        "Jumping around" - I know the feeling. Getting good at it requires experience. I didn't have it when I did my first and only sign so far. I almost quit early, because it requires a lot of multi-task thinking and planning; Then comes the deliberate and precise actions. I had read about the problems some had with it and planned for it. So, Every letter, even the 2 part letters - were looked at by me as "This is the only letter I need to do, so don't screw it up". Next were - deliberate actions and movements were ALL pre-planned. It came out great but . . . the stress of demanding and doing perfection - wore me out mentally! If I had made a couple of more signs after that first one, they probably would not have been as nearly as much stress.

For those who have not done this - below is the actions and thoughts that are necessary (for me) to make a sign:

1. Get the letters and figure the length needed.
        . . . Make sure the board will handle this
        2. Some letters are two parts such as A, B, D, P, O - any letter like them with
        . . . Spacing is important,
        3. Taping them down onto the wood with the proper spacing all around.
        . . . For the two part letters, tape needs to be where I can remove the first of two part letters and replace with the second part of the letters. Simple taping the top and bottom is a recipe for spacing and alignment errors. (I told you I was a perfectionist.)
        4. NEXT comes some mental challenges for me: The ROUTER.
        . . . is it set up correctly? Right depth for plunge, is it set? Is the setting tight? Is the bit set correctly. (That is on anything with routers, but precision is key.)
        5. Place the router over and into the first template, Hold it tight so it does not jerk.
        - Turn On
        - Plunge
        - Follow the groves/template.
        . . . Did I go all the way around? Blow out the sawdust.
        CUT the router OFF before lifting.
        - Lift and Blow the sawdust out again.
        REPEAT with Every Single Letter and partial letter.

I may be leaving a step out. It is meticulous and deliberate actions on EACH letter. Some people have the kind of personalities that take to that!
        Last edited by leehljp; 09-17-2021, 11:22 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

The problem he had was the tape we used to hold the template in place. We used Gorilla duct tape and the router hung up going over the edges of the tape. My next attempt will use double sided tape and hopefully that will eliminate one source of error. I'm sure I'll find plenty of new sources of errors.
          Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

He got it installed on the island.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211017_133758.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	845928
            Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I like it when we come back and show the final result in its natural use setting.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...