• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Learning Tower

OK, Grandson no. 3 needed one of these. They're great because the kids can safely see what mom is doing way up there, and even participate you can limit his reach, and mom can keep an eye on them. They love it!
    Grandson #2 is almost 4 but doesn't want to give his up.

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

So I made another one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180816_031606_resized.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	834027
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Nice work, Loring. I clicked on the link. Your grandson is cute!

How is the tower part secured to the stool below?

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Very nice Loring, I like the color contrast in the wood selected.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comment!
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      Nice work, Loring. I clicked on the link. Your grandson is cute!

How is the tower part secured to the stool below?
      The stool is made so that the top step (with the handle hole) is held by two bolts into threaded inserts in the bottom of the top. They are countersunk into the centers of the front and back horizontal members.

So if your remove the top step and drill four holes in the corners, you can attach the four 2x2 (actual 1.5" square) corner columns with Number 9 x 2-1/2" flat head countersunk screws.

After attaching the tower to the top step, then you install the top step to the bottom part of the stool.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-18-2018, 10:58 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

BTW, I just realized the Ikea Bekvam stool has gone from $15 to $20 now. I think its also available in two other different colors/finishes. THis one was called Beech.

When you see a young toddler straining to see what mom is doing in that alien forbidden land up there on the kitchen counter, you realize what a great idea this is.
        He can see everything, but he is relatively safe, standing on an ordinary stool he can fall off easily. I've seen moms holding the child in one arm and trying to cook with the other - that's dangerous for several reasons. With the railing he can't lean too far so you can put some play cooking utensils and sacrificial food items in his reach and keep the real stuff at arms length.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2018, 03:38 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

The stool is made so that the top step (with the handle hole) is held by two bolts into threaded inserts in the bottom of the top. They are countersunk into the centers of the front and back horizontal members.

So if your remove the top step and drill four holes in the corners, you can attach the four 2x2 (actual 1.5" square) corner columns with Number 9 x 2-1/2" flat head countersunk screws.

After attaching the tower to the top, then you install the top to the bottom part of the stool.
          I was wondering about the order of connecting the top portion to the stool. Thanks for the explanation. Great idea and work - and well worth seeing again.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I would like to see some method of “attaching” the stool to the cabinet to prevent jr from moving it to a more convenient place on the counter or stove when mom is not around. I envision this attachment method to be a toggle clamp near the bottom of each front leg that grabs the top on the cabinet toe kick, lifts up and wedges the stool in place. I’ve seen my kids and grandkids get creative with their exploring by moving chairs around to access counter tops. This stool would be the climbing tool of their choice if it was easily movable. I could also see the sides of the learning tower becoming a ladder for a child and would tip over when they tried to climb up it if it was not attached. At this period of a child’s development there is still a lot of monkey still in their system and they will climb on anything.

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

Very nice!
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Some pictures of it in use with my grandson.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...