X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Wedding present

Here's a set of windchimes I built for a family member's wedding present. Wife asked me to do it as the person getting married values hand made items much more than store bought. The chimes themselves are a bit large, which makes them unique. They are 2" aluminum pipe, the longest of which is 41-7/16" and there are 6 chimes. The wood top, striker, and windsail are Spalted Maple that started as scraps from Rockler. I used my jointer to get them flat and then glued up the resulting pieces to form a 10" circle for the top. The edge is a simple round over bit. The wood is stained cinnamon red and is finished with a clear outdoor high gloss varnish. You can't really tell, but after staining and finishing, the wood almost has a "shimmer" or luminescence to it. I stopped counting somewhere around 8 coats. I hand sanded the aluminum tubing with 320 and the 800grit wet to give them a "brushed" aluminum finish. All in all, I think they came out pretty good. The pics aren't the greatest, but hopefully you get the idea. As a musician, sound was important to me and I can honestly say the sustain is amazing---They ring for at least 2 mins after striking (I have to give credit to leehite.org as anything you could ever want to know about windchimes is there.

Definitely not up to the level of some on here, but given that this is the first time I've tried to actually glue up smaller pieces, I think it came out ok.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sailor55330; 05-06-2015, 09:40 PM.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

That looks great. I bet they sound great, too. What kind of chord do you use to hold it together?

Comment

• sailor55330
      Established Member
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      That looks great. I bet they sound great, too. What kind of chord do you use to hold it together?
      The chord is a cmaj7

The cord is a nylon twine I found at Walmart. Uv resistant and a single strand held my full body weight

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Nice project well done sailor! You have reminded me that I should do something like that. For the best sound how exact do the lengths of pipe need to be?
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• sailor55330
          Established Member
          • Jan 2010

BW--I would recommend googling "lee hite wind chimes". There is more info there than you can imagine. It depends on material, pipe size, and chord. For the most part, about 1/16". It's actually pretty easy to get accurate cuts with a good tubing cutter

Thanks for the kind words

Comment

• Neal
            Established Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
            • Ryobi BT3000

Awesome. May have to investigate something like this one of these days.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I have long wanted to make my own. I have a set of copper ones about 1 1/2 in diameter and about 36 inches long for the longest - purchased years ago and love it. However I love the tone of the 2 inch aluminum ones that cost about $300.

Just read that you used nylon twine, which was a question that I had.
              Last edited by leehljp; 05-07-2015, 07:27 AM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Awesome! I was in too big of a hurry to snap photos before I went off with them, but a couple of years ago when my oldest brother remarried I made them a set of walnut and cork coasters, nowhere near as nice as your chimes. I hadn't ever thought of doing that... I have 3 nieces getting married this summer, I might just steal your idea and do wind chimes for each of them...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by sailor55330
                  The chord is a cmaj7
                  Excellent!!!

And the chime is very well executed! Nice job!
                  "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas
                  => Bade's Personal Web Log
                  => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I want to copy a wind chime I saw at a local plantation that was made our of aluminum baseball bats of various sizes. The sound was really good but did not quite have the 2 minute dwell time of the ones made out of tubing. Alu bats can be picked up cheap at yard sales.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by capncarl
                      I want to copy a wind chime I saw at a local plantation that was made our of aluminum baseball bats of various sizes. The sound was really good but did not quite have the 2 minute dwell time of the ones made out of tubing. Alu bats can be picked up cheap at yard sales.
                      One I saw that sticks in my mind was made from large brass casings, I'm guessing .50 or .60 cal. machine gun casings.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by sailor55330
                        The chord is a cmaj7

The cord is a nylon twine I found at Walmart. Uv resistant and a single strand held my full body weight
                        Thanks for the info. I was going to ask the same question. Guessing this stuff is in the craft area?

I have several chimes that have fallen apart and need to be revamped. Thinking of turning new tops and then restringing them. I found one made from old silver plated spoons and a fork while cleaning out some boxes yesterday that was my Mother's. I restrung it with fishing line but wasn't happy with the resulting knots.

Love the look of the wood you used!
                        Last edited by Pappy; 05-11-2015, 08:21 AM.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

"All in all, I think they came out pretty good." That is a great understatement. Those things are beautiful. You used cinnamon stain. What brand? I love that color. Did you adjust the tube lengths before are after sanding? I look forward to looking at the link you provided. Thanks.
                          Richard

Comment

• sailor55330
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2010

Guys--you are too kind in your words. Thank you. The line was in the craft area . I was worried about the strength but a single strand of it actually held my body weight so no worries there I think

The stain and varnish was from Rockler--General Finishes. As for cutting the tubes that was done before stringing and then I built a simple jig to hold them while I drilled and sanded. The lines are fastened to a 1/8th brass rod that runs through the pipe and is sanded flush to the outside.

You guys only see the good but as I'm sure we all do, I only see what I could have done better (the goofs)

Comment

Working...