• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

It looks like somebody's getting spoiled already. Very nice work. Congrats to both of you on the family addition.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
      John Hunter

Comment

• tjmac44
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2006
        • Omaha, Nebraska

Originally posted by master53yoda
        Speaking to one who will definitely know what I'm talking about. How did you cut the right angle notch the length of the closet rod that is in the top of the curve. I finally made a raised out-feed insert for my fence on the table saw and datoed mine in 2 passes. but it took a lot of thinking about how to do it to keep the dato straight lengthwise on a 1 1/2" rod.

Your finish is nicer then mine. I have made the decision to never try something like that again with pine as it just does not finish as well as other wood and keeps any bumps that you do during construction.
        Art,

The finish was a recommendation from many. I put on 4 coats with steel wool sanding in between coats. This finish really makes the figure in Maple "pop" right out. Surprise to me, there is a lot of small birdseye in the head board.

I did the dado with my table saw and a jig. I left the blade 90 and made a 3/4 cut. Then rotated the rod 94 and made the second cute using the jig. This is also where I made a major mistake. During the first cut I had a feather board behind the blade.

WARNING... NEVER USE FEATHER BOARDS BEHIND THE BLADE NO MATTER WHAT.

The first cut was stable and went well. The second cut I forgot to take the feather board off. At the end of the cut, I watched the cut off piece take off like a missle thru the garage wall and into the living room. WOW. I was position way to the right of the blade and the wall was the only casualty. The feather board caused the cut off to get pinched by the blade.

Back to the hospital I go, should be bringing baby home today
        Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Nice work on the crib...

Nicer work on the youngun... Congrats!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• master53yoda
            Established Member
            • Oct 2008
            • Spokane Washington
            • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Originally posted by tjmac44
            Art,

I did the dado with my table saw and a jig. I left the blade 90 and made a 3/4 cut. Then rotated the rod 94 and made the second cute using the jig. This is also where I made a major mistake. During the first cut I had a feather board behind the blade.

WARNING... NEVER USE FEATHER BOARDS BEHIND THE BLADE NO MATTER WHAT.

The first cut was stable and went well. The second cut I forgot to take the feather board off. At the end of the cut, I watched the cut off piece take off like a missle thru the garage wall and into the living room. WOW. I was position way to the right of the blade and the wall was the only casualty. The feather board caused the cut off to get pinched by the blade.

the reason I did mine with the dato is that i could not figure out how to contain the 1/4 circle piece that was 4 feet long from launching as yours did. I chose not to worry about the fact that the notch would be 90 degrees instead of 86 and glued it with epoxy to fill the difference in the angle. I'm glad that no one was hurt but i have to wonder how many people have used that crib plan and launched the same piece you did because of the tendency for the rod to Rotate.

Maybe we should ask sarge how he would have done it.
            Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• tjmac44
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2006
              • Omaha, Nebraska

Originally posted by master53yoda
              the reason I did mine with the dato is that i could not figure out how to contain the 1/4 circle piece that was 4 feet long from launching as yours did. I chose not to worry about the fact that the notch would be 90 degrees instead of 86 and glued it with epoxy to fill the difference in the angle. I'm glad that no one was hurt but i have to wonder how many people have used that crib plan and launched the same piece you did because of the tendency for the rod to Rotate.

Maybe we should ask sarge how he would have done it.
              Art,

My kick back issue was my own fault for using a featherboard behind the blade. So the cut-off piece, small wedge, was shoved back to the blade with the pressure of the feather board. The rod did not move at all. I used the same jig and technique, minus feather board, for the second rod with no incident. I will see if I can get a picture of the jig, if I still have it.

How did you make your rods?

Take care,

Todd
              Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.

Comment

• master53yoda
                Established Member
                • Oct 2008
                • Spokane Washington
                • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

the jig I used for the dado is shown in the 2 pictures the first is with both connected and ready for the dowel. (except for the dado blade) the second is the outfeed table that the notched portion rode on after the dado cut to 3/8ths
                On the second cut there was an infeed added that was 3/8 and the outfeed was changed to 3/4. I tried it at first with only the outfeed table but couldn't stop the rotation with out the containment jig that I mounted to the table itself and then the infeed table insert.
                Last edited by master53yoda; 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM.
                Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

I agree with those saying the kid learns to live with your habits, both good and bad. I have a recording room here, and the shop, and even in the womb the kid was being trained to be ok with the loud sounds. And in fact he is just fine with it. He sleeps well through drum sessions. We keep him far enough away that it's not LOUD, but it's not exactly quite either.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...