• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Very nice. gives you a good organized shop.

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by JeffG78
      Someday I'll tackle the kitchen...
      Based on this project, a kitchen looks to be well within your range, Jeff. Well done!

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JeffG78
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
        • BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
        Loads of nice clean work surface it looks really great. I cant wait to see what it looks like when its in full operation. Where is the table saw and other tools going to live?
        What you see in the pics is just over half my shop. Right now the other part of the shop is being used for storage. I will take all the storage bins and racks out in the next few days and move them to the other part of the basement. That will give me room to leave my CMS set up and have room for the BT3100. I made the cabinet tops the same height as the table saw so I can use them as outfeed tables when needed.

There will be one more long wall left where I can put a jointer when I pick one up.

Comment

• avbclark
          • Jul 2006
          • Cottonwood Heights, UT
          • BT3100 and BT3000

Nice looking shop

Wow great work. Which issue of ShopNotes led you to this?

Comment

• JeffG78
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • BT3100

Originally posted by avbclark
            Wow great work. Which issue of ShopNotes led you to this?
            I got it from Volume 10 Issue 59. A friend at work got the whole Shop Notes collection from his uncle. I borrowed them all and got some great ideas.

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

Very nice work. They look great.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

Aahh, now I can see them! I think you'd make Norm jealous with those cabinets!
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                  John Hunter

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Looks nice. Good clean lines, not too fancy, not too plain. Me likey...

I am thinking that looks like pine, and?

I guess that is hardboard you are using for the counter top inserts, is that right? That would make for a NICE slick surface. I know I really hate my B/C plywood top and have often wanted to cover it with some laminate of some sort...

I have a mess of discarded Southern Yellow Pine 2x4s laying around taking up space in the garage. I might just try building up a rolling workbench / cart of sorts for tool storage, and assembly space. I am seriously unhappy with my current bench layout... It worked good for me with small wood projects, and was GREAT for auto projects, but for larger assembly projects it sucks... The wall kind of gets in the way you know?

From the sheen on it, and the hue it looks like you simply applied a gloss poly over the prepped pine. Are you having curing problems with Poly this time of year? It is so humid here I can't seem to get poly to cure...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JeffG78
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • BT3100

dbhost,

The frame is made up of 2x pine with 3/4" MDF end panels, shelves, and double-thick top. The doors are #2 pine with beadply panels. I then added 1/4" hardboard over the MDF top. I only finished the top and top edge banding with oil base poly. The rest was left natural. The hardboard top is held down with double sided tape for easy replacement when the time comes. The poly actually dried really quickly! it was ready to sand and recoat within a few hours. I'm hoping that the poly keeps the top in decent shape for a while.

Comment

• John's Woodshop
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2009

Those shop cabinets look Great!!!

Comment

• rcp612
                          Established Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                          • Bosch 4100-09

Great looking cabinets!!!
                          One question,,,,,,, did your cased tools just happen to fit or was that a consideration while building?
                          Anyways, looks like very good organization and I really like the corner section with the drill press.
                          Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by rcp612
                            Great looking cabinets!!!
                            ...I really like the corner section with the drill press.
                            Realizing this is a 2-year-old thread popped up, I do have a comment for anyone planning a DP in the corner like this.

One of the great uses of a DP with a fence is drilling repetitive holes on a long piece at a fixed distance from the edge. With this kind of placement, its hard to imagine how he would handle drilling holes distributed along a 6-foot piece of wood - the walls would get in the way and there's no place for auxiliary outboard supports.

Just my 2 cents on DP placement. The original cabinets look great BTW- but his cabinets looking full, needs more places for more tools (just kidding I'm sure he just showed the ones he loaded up and he has other empty ones.)
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I never noticed that, but you are dead right... Maybe lose the shelf, and build a rolling cabinet that can be rolled into that corner to mount the DP on, roll it out when you need to use it?

If the OP is still around, how is that DP placement working for you?
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice shop cabinets Jeff and a spacious surrounding which is a plus. Sorry to get to the party late but I obviously missed this post when you originally posted. Bet you can't keep your shop that clean when the cabinets start getting used.

Enjoy....

Comment

Working...