• Show
Clear All
  • JerryC2021
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2021
    • Harrison, AR
    • Ryobi BT-3100

BT3100: To Sell or Keep?

About 2 years ago I bought a brand new BT3100 from a guy who had just assembled it, but had purchased it 3 or 4 years prior. The guy wanted a saw with more power so he listed it on Marketplace for $60 and I bought it. Since I purchased it I upgraded to the aluminum pivot hold down for the sliding miter table. Also picked up a few accessories off eBay such as a zero clearance throat plate, a dado throat plate, and the dual miter track table. So total investment about 200.00 - $225.00.

I had planned to use the fence system on my Shopsmith, along with mounting the sliding miter table, but now I have shifted to looking for a used 3 HP cabinet saw. My brother is interested in buying the Shopsmith I planned on retro-fitting the BT fence to. BTW, I have 2 Shopsmiths, and my second one has the 520 fence on it.

My question is if I am selling it, is parting out on e-bay going to net me more money than selling it whole. The way I see it, there are parts such as the miter table, fence, and miter fence hold down that are in demand, but I see little value in the frame and panels. I cannot believe the asking price on the fence. One seller has one for over $150. Supply and demand I guess. I would like to get back my investment in the saw if possible.

Thanks for any feed back,
    Jerry
  • spicano
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2023
    • Suburb of Detroit, MI
    • Craftsman 315.228110

Part-it out should bring in more than $225 (I was lucky to find 2 aluminum shims for $30 to bring mine back to life, & $25 for dado stack). I would imagine the motor, fence, riving knife/prawns/shield, miter slides, lift & saw housing will be in-demand as you want or advertise.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

It's a hassle to disassemble, list and ship the parts but you will come out well ahead of selling it whole.
      Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds right. more trouble for more money.
        Isn't it always like that?
    Working...