• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garymck
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007

Saw blade arbor size?

Hi,
    just got my old bt3100 back from years of use by a friend. It looks a bit battered and needs a new blade. The arbor is 5/8", but as I'm in Australia, I can only find blades now that are 16mm. Would these be ok? The size difference is small, but wondering if there would be any issues?

Thanks Gary
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I wouldn't want to try it. 16 mm = .6299" 5/8" = .625" The saw spins the blade at 4,500 rpm, so that bit of slop could cause vibration issues. Better to order a blade from a U.S. supplier.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm not sure, .005" is not lot, it will be a maximum of .0025 inches clearance on each side off which is not a lot.
      This thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads...or-16mm.66068/ seems to indicate it will work. But there's a chance the blade hole might be too small to fit on the arbor. I'm going to say that if it slides easily onto the arbor it will work.

If its a 220 V BT3000 it is a rare beast, we had a devoted member Rod Kirby here for years (now deceased) who had one,
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-06-2021, 10:12 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• garymck
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2007

Thanks guys, I think I'll get one and see how it fits, I can always return it. My machine is a BT3100k - came with the accessory pack about 12 years ago....
        cheers
        Gary

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

how did it work out?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• garymck
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2007

Ended up getting the old blade re sharpened, and have ordered a 5/8" arbor blade via Amazon US

Gary

Comment

• nicer20
              Established Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Dublin, CA
              • BT3100

If it was a 220V version sold in Australia wouldn't it be equipped with a 16mm arbor instead of an imperial 5/8"? Just curious.

NG

Comment

• nicer20
                Established Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Dublin, CA
                • BT3100

Out of shear curiosity I measured the arbor holes of 5 saw blades that I have all of which are designated as 5/8" arbor. Here are the results -

10" Ryobi 36 tooth blade (original) - 15.84 mm
                10" Diablo 1060X - 15.83 mm
                7 1/4" Diablo 0760 (circular saw) blade - 15.83 mm
                another Diablo 0760 - 15.86 mm
                Metabo HPT (Hitachi) 7 1/4" blade 24 tooth circ saw blade - 15.88 mm

Interestingly the Metabo blade is designated as 5/8" / 16mm blade (see photo)

so garymck after all you may be just able to use a 16mm blade in place of a 5/8".

Comment

• garymck
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by nicer20
                  If it was a 220V version sold in Australia wouldn't it be equipped with a 16mm arbor instead of an imperial 5/8"? Just curious.

NG
                  Hi,
                  I actually measured the arbor with a caliper and it was 5/8", the blade was also marked 5/8", wish it had been 16mm !!!
                  cheers
                  Gary

Comment

• garymck
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by nicer20
                    Out of shear curiosity I measured the arbor holes of 5 saw blades that I have all of which are designated as 5/8" arbor. Here are the results -

10" Ryobi 36 tooth blade (original) - 15.84 mm
                    10" Diablo 1060X - 15.83 mm
                    7 1/4" Diablo 0760 (circular saw) blade - 15.83 mm
                    another Diablo 0760 - 15.86 mm
                    Metabo HPT (Hitachi) 7 1/4" blade 24 tooth circ saw blade - 15.88 mm

Interestingly the Metabo blade is designated as 5/8" / 16mm blade (see photo)

so garymck after all you may be just able to use a 16mm blade in place of a 5/8".
                    Good to know for the future

Thanks
                    Gary

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I took a quick survey (have a lot more blade but I did the first 5 I found)

Click image for larger version  Name:	arbor survey.JPG Views:	0 Size:	34.1 KB ID:	843332

basically all the blades were within 3 milliinches of either 16 mm or of 5/8"
                      I think in inches still for machining and measuring although I do a lot of metric. 3 mils is about a typical tolerance for metalworking.
                      I would think they would all work on a 5/8" arbor or a 16 mm arbor.
                      So the vice versa is probably also true for 16 mm blade on 5/8" arbor.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-14-2021, 05:27 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

I would be curious to know the measurements of a blade mounted on an arbor to the farthest point on a carbide tip, on all tips. Could be that we are expecting our tools to be machined more accurately than they are. If they are not as precision as we expected, yet we are satisfied with the cut, then we need to, adjust our expectations. After all we are buying expendables and installing them on the cheapest machinery sold at big box stores. It really may not matter if the cutting edge is off a few thousants as fast as it si spinning!

Comment

Working...