• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

BT3100 motor issue. Maybe?

My BT3100 is acting up, and it is concerning me. Here's the problem....

The motor spins up, then with load, or without, it seems to lose power, then back up and down and up and down power wise...

The saw has a relocated power switch (along the rail on the left of the saw. And the switch may or may not be bad. I really don't know...

I have a spare switch that I am considering swapping in but wasn't sure if that was what I needed to be looking at first or not...

It IS possible the motor is bad. I do have a spare in the attic. If it is a bad motor. Can anyone point me to how to swap it out?
    Last edited by dbhost; 09-26-2017, 01:38 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

MIght not be bad motor, but bad or intermittent brushes. Don't forget the carbon brushes that are part of every universal motor. There should be access covers on opposite sides of the motor to remove and service them.

If you have a spare motor in the attic it would be way easier to swap brushes than motor.

Brushes are of course wear items in universal motors but not in induction motors.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Hadn't considered brushes... You don't happen to recall the name of that shop that had BT parts do you? All my brain is pulling up right now is rust...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Reeds Sales and Services in Saint Paul, MN. 651-774-9515
        Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks...

I am thinking i might actually have a set of brushes in my box of spares. If I recall correctly I might have bought a set just in case they weren't available later on down the road...

Comment

Working...