X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I tried my hardest to have an overarm dust point with my Shark Guard, but could never seem to get it to work right with the saw. I'll be trying again with the Delta.

Although, if I can incorporate loft storage with my new building, I could put the DC up there and pipe down.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Wildwillis
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2013
      • Syracuse, NY
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Cochese
      I tried my hardest to have an overarm dust point with my Shark Guard, but could never seem to get it to work right with the saw. I'll be trying again with the Delta.

Although, if I can incorporate loft storage with my new building, I could put the DC up there and pipe down.
      One idea I'm thinking of trying out once my Shark Guard arrives is using the 'Rockler Dust Right Cord and Hose Holder' to hold up the hose that will attach to the Shark Guard (helps that I already have it).

I've clamped it onto my rear rails before with no problem to hold a dust hose attached to a plunge router (on the saw table due to lack of space). It held firmly and was pretty easy to reposition. It includes a 2.5" hose coupler that I believe is held on to a small bracket with a hose clamp. I'm planning to use a 4" hose so I may pick up a 4" coupler assuming I can make it fit. Just an idea if you're looking for something. I'll let you know how it works out when I give it a try!

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Wildwillis
        One idea I'm thinking of trying out once my Shark Guard arrives is using the 'Rockler Dust Right Cord and Hose Holder' to hold up the hose that will attach to the Shark Guard (helps that I already have it).

I've clamped it onto my rear rails before with no problem to hold a dust hose attached to a plunge router (on the saw table due to lack of space). It held firmly and was pretty easy to reposition. It includes a 2.5" hose coupler that I believe is held on to a small bracket with a hose clamp. I'm planning to use a 4" hose so I may pick up a 4" coupler assuming I can make it fit. Just an idea if you're looking for something. I'll let you know how it works out when I give it a try!
        I tried to do the Sawstop style, and it worked in some respects.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

It is fairly critical that the hose hang straight down over the Shark Guard. The hose can pull it to the side if it isn't. A little tension straight back or straight forward would not be too bad, but pulling to the side is not desirable.
          The best is that the hose just freely hangs over the guard.
          Lee

Comment

• Wildwillis
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2013
            • Syracuse, NY
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Stytooner
            It is fairly critical that the hose hang straight down over the Shark Guard. The hose can pull it to the side if it isn't. A little tension straight back or straight forward would not be too bad, but pulling to the side is not desirable.
            The best is that the hose just freely hangs over the guard.
            Thanks for the advice Lee! I was a little concerned that the weight of a 4" hose might be problematic pulling sideways on the guard. I'll probably go with something like a coat-hanger-hose-holder above the saw then. That'll be an easy setup for me because my 'shop' is a corner of an unfinished basement quarantined off by some long curtain rods and a few cheap bed sheets sewn over along one edge...

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

I'll post a pic of my "ghetto" one sometime. Not perfect but has been in service for years now.

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

I am interested to see what others have done to get DC to the SG. In my old garage setup I ran hose to the SG port and supported it with a bungee hooked to the ceiling. In my new shop I have ~ 12' ceiling height so that's one very long bungee. Right now I have tried to use one of these flex form hoses that connects to a PVC upright that Ts off the TS DC port. As its partially rigid it kind of works but its less than ideal and am searching for a better more permanent solution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29812-07-1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	787677
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

This link shows what a few have done in the past if you haven't seen it.

As you might notice, the hose can come from the side somewhat as long as you leave plenty of slack so that it isn't actually pulling on the guard.
                  Last edited by Stytooner; 03-21-2016, 07:01 PM.
                  Lee

Comment

• Wildwillis
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2013
                    • Syracuse, NY
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by tfischer
                    I'll post a pic of my "ghetto" one sometime. Not perfect but has been in service for years now.
                    Thanks I'd love to see more setups! My SGK1 arrived today and I was able to play around with it a little bit (not much yet). I am very impressed - it'd way bigger in person than I'd realized (in a good way) and feels very solid! I still need to figure out how I'm going to handle the dust hoses permanently, bit for tonight I utilized that Rockler cord holder I referenced on the previous page and it worked quite well (I had a flexible hose with some slack to avoid sideways pressure on the guard. I can see why lot of people add blast gates with the 4" port - it was sacking up thin strip in no time!

Lee - I had a little trouble with the riving knife at first. There are two holes towards the bottom that two 'knobs' are supposed to fit into when securing it to the saw. They were very slightly misaligned (towards the front of the saw) prohibiting the knife from locking into place at first (hard to explain without a picture, but those knows wouldn't fit into the holes). Wasn't a problem at all as I was able to widen those holes in the knife very slightly (in one direction) with a dremel and now the knife locks in very securely. Hard to say if that was simply a slight variation in tolerances or an actual variation between the Ridgid knife and and the updated 21829 one.

Like I said, no worries just wanted to let you know! I'll chime in again once I get some more time with it. Definitely very impressed so far! My saw has never looked so cleaver after a cut!

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Over the years my saw has changed from a highly portable Craftsman BT that might be set up anywhere to a Powermatic in a wood cabinet on wheels that only gets moved from the center of the auto shop to the wood shop when I want to pull in a vehicle. It is always set up within several feet of the same location. I've never thought much about a ceiling mounted blade guard but this thread started me thinking about it, the dust collector hose to the existing blade guard already comes from overhead so why not?
                      Stytooner, does shark guard make an overhead mounted guard with dust collection?
                      capncarl

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Willis, thanks and I will adjust the hole pattern slightly for this model.
                        Do you think it was out of position or did the holes maybe need reaming? These holes should get reamed after deburring, chamfering, but that can get overlooked.
                        How much would you estimate the hole error?

Capt, we do make brackets that will allow you to easily attach a shark to an overarm mount that you design.

We are also coming out with a new product. Replacement covers for after market arms. I am shipping the first custom one of these designed to fit a Beisemeyer overarm system today.
                        This one has no hard sides. Just brushes.
                        They cut odd shaped aluminum extrusions that are sometimes bent and they clamp them in jigs and do compound miter cuts on these. The brushes only will work better in their case.

The standard ones are still in R&D, but are sort of similar in appearance. They will likely use hard sides, but retain double brushes in front and single in rear.
                        I will post a picture or two later of custom one.
                        Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

Here are a few images of what I mentioned above.
                          Attached Files
                          Lee

Comment

• Wildwillis
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Syracuse, NY
                            • Craftsman 21829

Willis, thanks and I will adjust the hole pattern slightly for this model.
                            Do you think it was out of position or did the holes maybe need reaming? These holes should get reamed after deburring, chamfering, but that can get overlooked.
                            How much would you estimate the hole error?
                            Thanks again Lee! It's really hard to say if the holes and slot just needed to be cleaned up a bit or if they should be adjusted. The space was so tight that it took me a few minutes to figure out what the problem was. Since both holes seemed to be slightly off in the same direction it could just as easily be the slot being very slightly out of alignment. The top of that slot (where it's rounded) is a little 'jagged' so that very well may have been the issue. I took off no more than 1/64" (possibly less) from the side of both holes that faces the front of the saw. Personally I wouldn't change the dimensions unless you have the same issue with the next one.

I played with the guard a little more tonight. As I mentioned initially, I questioned if the Shark Guard would be a worthwhile upgrade on my saw since my stock blade guard already had a quick disconnect so mainly I'd just be adding dust collection. I'm happy to say that I'm more than satisfied so far. It feels super solid and I'm shocked by how much (basically all) of the sawdust it's been capturing using my HF dust collector.

Okay maybe one 'complaint'...I kind of miss the shark face that I saw in the older models! I suppose I can live without it!

Comment

• Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

I include the shark face decals upon request.
                              I'll put a set in the mail for you.
                              Lee

Comment

• Wildwillis
                                Forum Newbie
                                • Nov 2013
                                • Syracuse, NY
                                • Craftsman 21829

I include the shark face decals upon request.
                                I'll put a set in the mail for you.
                                Ha really? I figured that was just a change on the newer ones. I SHOULD say that you certainly don't need to go through the trouble, but if they show up in the mail I'll certainly enjoy putting them on!

On an unrelated note, I came up with a way to mount my 4"x4"x2.5" Y-adapter to to that Rockler cord & hose holder and it looks like a pretty good permanent (but easily moved or removed) solution. I've got a question or two as well. I'll post some pictures tonight or this weekend.

Comment

Working...