• Show
Clear All
  • Wildwillis
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2013
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Craftsman 21829

Shark Guard & Craftsman 21829 w/ updated knife & guard

I mentioned this in the post I just put in the classifieds forum but since it's buried I thought I'd post the question...

Just wondering if there's a variant of the Shark Guard that fits the 21829 that has the updated riving knife with the detachable blade guard and anti-kickback pawls. I 'borrowed' the pictures of it below from an old thread by GerryR (thanks!).

I've been reading a lot of old threads lately with lots of glowing recommendations for Lee's Shark Guards. Took me a little while to realize that my version of the 21829 doesn't riving knife. The attachment points actually appear pretty similar to those on the Shark Guard riving knife but the blade guard appears to lock on differently.

Mostly just curious at this point. The main advantage of the Shark Guard for me just seems to be the dust collection since the guard easily detaches from the knife on this version. I tend to WANT to use my saw a lot more than I actually do use it so I was trying to keep an eye out for used Shark Guards for a while to better justify the cost. That was of course prior to realizing that I'd probably need a different version to fit my saw.

Just curious if a version that fits this model exists. Maybe I'm mistaken and the knives are somehow interchangeable. Thanks for any info! Perhaps I'll get lucky and Lee will chime in! Looks like he's still on here at times...

Edit: Forgot the pictures!

• Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

The other negative to that version vs the Shark Guard is you have to remove it for non-through cuts.

If you can take a picture of the knife removed from the table with some measurements of the attachment point, I can compare it to my SG knife. You can just put it on some graph paper and tell me the scale and I can compare.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Cant say enough positive things about the shark guard. I had one of the very early versions and upgraded it to the latest model last year. its great. If you have specific questions I would suggest emailing Lee directly or you could PM him here as he is a member of this forum. user Stytooner.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• Wildwillis
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2013
        • Syracuse, NY
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Cochese
        The other negative to that version vs the Shark Guard is you have to remove it for non-through cuts.

If you can take a picture of the knife removed from the table with some measurements of the attachment point, I can compare it to my SG knife. You can just put it on some graph paper and tell me the scale and I can compare.
        Thanks for the reply! The knife on this version actually has two positions - the lower one sits just below the blade so you can keep the knife on for through cuts. The manual states to only use blade guard with the knife in the higher position though. In the lower position the blade needs to be pretty high for the guard to clear the throat plate.

I was actually going to mention that difference as well but I wasn't sure the Shark Guard was any different, but on second thought I think the point at which it attaches to the knife is higher in relation to the blade than the blade guard would be on this version with the knife in the lower position.

Anyway, there are a few more pictures of the knife in the link below (where I got the ones above from) courtesy of GerryR. I can get some of my own tonight as well but I believe I've seen a picture of the complete knife somewhere on here so I'll take a look for it in the meantime. Thanks again!

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

Comment

• Wildwillis
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2013
          • Syracuse, NY
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by poolhound
          Cant say enough positive things about the shark guard. I had one of the very early versions and upgraded it to the latest model last year. its great. If you have specific questions I would suggest emailing Lee directly or you could PM him here as he is a member of this forum. user Stytooner.
          Thanks poolhound! I have indeed figured out who Lee is on here. I considered emailing him but I'm probably more curious at this point (just from seeing so many compliments on Shark Guards) than I am a potential customer so I didn't want to bother Lee.

If my saw has the old version of the blade guard I'd definitely pony up for one for the convenience and safety advantages. Price is harder to justify though when compared to what I currently have since I'd primarily be adding dust collection (and I seem to spend a lot more time reading on the forum than I spend using the saw though). Per the previous posts, I was thinking there could also be an advantage being able to use the Shark Guard on non-through cuts but after thinking about that for a second it dawned on me that any guard would have to come off for any non-through cut. Awesome product though I still wish I had one!

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I can't imagine my BT3100 without a Shark Guard. If and when I ever upgrade my table saw, I hope there's a shark guard to fit.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Your mistaken, if you have a 21829. I just downloaded the owners manual to verify, and that is a riving knife, although it is slightly different then the one that came on the 3100 (it wasn't a split guard).
              Lee might have a guard that will fit directly on that one, or his standard Sharkguard should fit your saw (99.5% sure).

No, I will not loan you mine, I did that once, and loaned it to my neighbor to try, he told me to order another and give him the bill, as I wasn't getting mine back.

EDIT POST:
              I went off to try and found that picture and the post it was in. It seems they changed the way that guard mounts, then the prior. You should contact Lee and see if his guard (which can come apart like your knife), can or is made to work with that knife. The main difference I see between that, and the Sharkguard, is the dust collection.
              Last edited by LinuxRandal; 02-27-2016, 01:24 AM.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Wildwillis
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2013
                • Syracuse, NY
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                Your mistaken, if you have a 21829. I just downloaded the owners manual to verify, and that is a riving knife, although it is slightly different then the one that came on the 3100 (it wasn't a split guard).
                Lee might have a guard that will fit directly on that one, or his standard Sharkguard should fit your saw (99.5% sure).

No, I will not loan you mine, I did that once, and loaned it to my neighbor to try, he told me to order another and give him the bill, as I wasn't getting mine back.

EDIT POST:
                I went off to try and found that picture and the post it was in. It seems they changed the way that guard mounts, then the prior. You should contact Lee and see if his guard (which can come apart like your knife), can or is made to work with that knife. The main difference I see between that, and the Sharkguard, is the dust collection.
                Thanks for the reply (sorry didn't see it the other day). Agreed with your updates of course. I believe the original 21829 used the same riving knife & guard as the BT3x00's but it was updated to the ones shown above. I'm guessing Lee has something similar if not an exact fit already. Didn't want to make a bit deal out of it unless I decide I absolutely have to order one. Just curious if I was missing anything.

Like we both said - primary advantage seems to just the dust collection (which on it's own would be pretty nice). For the meantime I think I'll try to rig something up for that to see how it works. Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

• Wildwillis
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Syracuse, NY
                  • Craftsman 21829

I just wanted to follow this up to (like many before me) compliment Lee for being a wonderful guy to work with. I caved in the other night and decided I needed a Shark Guard because my new dust collector has been an underwhelming improvement over my 6.5HP Ridgid shop vac when hooked up to the 21829's 2.5" dust port (really wish that was a 4" port). Not much that port can do about the above table dust (especially with a ZCTP) I suppose.

Lee has been super responsive to emails and very helpful with recommendations. He believes he has a riving knife that matches the one above for the 'newer' 21829's. I still need to confirm that against his template though. I'm looking forward to joining the SG club though!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Tim,
                    Lee will add an optional dust port on the SG, you pick the size (will add a few $ to price). Works well for above-table DC. Mine has the 4" port. I split my DC line going to the tablesaw, one leg goes to the 2.5 port on the back, and the other leg above-table arm with flex hose which attaches to the SG. I'll post a pic in a minute.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Buena Park, CA
                      • CM 21829

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2538sm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	787670
                      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Oppps. Sorry I missed this thread, Guys. I still check out the Forum almost every day, but this thread slipped past me until today.
                        I do have a pattern for the knife that fits the newer saws. It is the same one that fits the Ridgid R4513's.
                        Lee

Comment

• Wildwillis
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Syracuse, NY
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]22711[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks a lot for the picture and info Bill! Le has indeed been great. He's got a 4" port Shark Guard ready to ship. Can't wait to get it on my saw.

I'm planning to rig up my dust collector similar to how you have yours. I was planning to use a Y-splitter that I previously picked up with a 4" output and hose running to the SG and a 2.5" output and (short) hose running to the port on the saw. Wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of your piping setup though. It looks really good. Curious if you used 'regular' 4" pvc (I assume yes since its white) or the drain pipe. I probably need to look more into the connections on that to make sure I'm clear on the sizes. I'm sure smooth pipe would be preferable to choking down to (even a short) 2.5" hose. I do have a 4" to 2.25" funnel adapter that I'm using at the moment.

Originally posted by Stytooner
                          Oppps. Sorry I missed this thread, Guys. I still check out the Forum almost every day, but this thread slipped past me until today.
                          I do have a pattern for the knife that fits the newer saws. It is the same one that fits the Ridgid R4513's.
                          Thanks again so much Lee! As he mentioned, I printed out his template for the Ridgid R4513 knife and it should be a perfect fit. Lee's been every bit as great to work with as advertised - which is certainly saying something!

Comment

• tfischer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2003
                            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Mine's a whole lot more "ghetto" but it works: I have a y-adapter at the saw, right before the built-in dust port. I then have a 3" flex-hose connected to that, connected to the arm from a swing-arm desk lamp that mounts to my rails (my saw needs to remain portable), which then drops it onto the top of the Shark. The nice thing is that I can still get some minimal dust collection from the top even with the guard removed for certain cuts, and also bend it around to clean up the top of the saw.

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

It's sad that the guards can't remain in place for not through cuts. Mechanically imposible unless you put one of the above the saw tower thingys on . That won't happen on my saw now because I have the jack up and park it on top of the saw outfeed table operational. I hate to say it but if I can find a contractor version of saw stop I may swap it out with my powermatic 64 on the wood saw cabinet.
                              capncarl

Comment

Working...