Clear All
  • weilin
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2011
    • Encino, CA
    • Ryobi BT3000

saw table "cupping"

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. so I bought my bt3000 about a year back from craigslist. a carpenter friend of mine suggested it as my first saw to break my woodworking cherry, and it has surved me well. Over the past year, i have learned to calibrate a number of machinery. So I thought it was time for me to tune up the ole' bt3k. I was trying to level the saw when I put a 4' level across the saw table and noticed a bit of daylight under the level. I thought maybe my level was warped. So I put my newly purchased Starrett 36" straight from edge to edge across the saw table, and used my feeler guage to see if there indeed was a gap. Wouldn't you know it, towardes the middle of the saw table, I was able to slide a .005 inch feeler guage through. Now, I know 1/200 of an inch may not sound like a lot. But i was just wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing? And if so, is there a fix or is this just one of those Ryobi tolerances that I need to come to terms with. Does aluminum wear over time? Will this get worse? Thanks in advance for any input.

-W
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Welcome to the forum.

first of all, the BT3000 tables are aluminum, probably cast, then anodized and machined flat - you can see the raw aluminum and machining marks on top of the ridges.

I don't think its too easy to wear .005 aluminum off of a table even if its 50% ridged, considering that altho aluminum is soft compared to iron, its still much harder than wood. Especially if its already a low spot - if anything you'll wear off high spots and the edges.

Finally, I don't think .005" is much to worry about in woodworking.

My advice is to relax and enjoy the woodworking.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Quit measuring it...you'll get much better results!

Seriously, let the cuts tell you how the saw's performing.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

If we were talking cam shaft bearings on a high performance engine that spins at 7K RPM for hours on end, they that 5 thousandths would make a difference, but for the surface of a table saw? not so much... I would worry more about that sort of variation on a jointer, or a hand plane, but not the table saw...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

Welcome to the forum...neighbor.

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• weilin
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2011
            • Encino, CA
            • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for all your perspectives and good points. I suspected that I should just let this go. But being new in woodworking, its hard to know what to let go and what not to. I learn as I go along.

Steve, good to know there's a neighbor in the valley on this forum.

-W

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Welcome! I will add a note that is not directly related to your problem but does relate to alignment with the whole top and rails:

There have been times when rails didn't seem to be in plane with each other. This happens during setup and tightening of the legs as much as anything else and it also happens when the table is set on an uneven floor.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                • May 2003
                • Orlando, FL, USA.
                • BT3000

Kinda adding to what Hank said ...

I saw Kelly Mehler at a woodworking show a few years ago. He was showing how to set up a table saw. He said that a table saw top can warp if the legs are not adjusted correctly when sitting on an uneven floor. A straight edge laid across the table in one direction will rotate on the high spot. It will not move when laid 90deg to the first position.

Perhaps the little table on a BT3K could warp over time - I dunno.

- Lonnie
                OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

As you mentioned that you have just started in woodworking, I doubt that a .005 difference will affect your work. It takes a long time to be able to cut joints that really require that degree of accuracy.
                  It's wood and wood moves, so .005 in no big deal.
                  Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...