• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John's Woodshop
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2009

New to the Forum and the BT3000 Saw

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a BT3000 Table Saw. I purchased it used. I will post pics of the saw set up a little later. It seems to be complete with the exception of the black hold down for the SMT fence.

Does anyone have one of those lying around that you wouldn't mind getting rid of?

Thanks!
    John
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Welcome to the forum

Comment

• headhunter636
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Federal Way, WA
      • Ryobi BT 3000

Welcome to the forum. As for the missing piece, I am sure someone may be able to help you out. If not, you may be able to find the parts you need from here: http://www.m-and-d.com/ryobi_tools.html. I ordered some replacement shims and belts from them a few weeks ago.
      Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Welcome aboard! I don't have the part, but you can also find all parts for the BT3000 at sears parts direct.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...Id=0909&blt=05
        Chr's

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome aboard to an awesome forum, not only for the saw but for the great people here than can help you with many varied things
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I was going to suggest M and D Mower but someone else beat me to it...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• John's Woodshop
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2009

Here is a pic of my Saw....

John

Comment

• Garasaki
                • Sep 2006

*drools*

Very clean setup.

The BT3k seems a bit out of place with the monster jointer and planer (or is that a sander?), but we all know it can hold it's own.

I do not see dust collection
                -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                -Henry Blake

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

That's a pretty sweet BT setup, quite a few of the options. Is that the Ryobi float table insert on the extension kit?

You probably want to use at least a 12ga extension cord though. That looks like the same extension cord I used to use in my garage, and it was 14ga. 14 might be ok for the 13Amp motor. I'm not too sure about that.

If there is still some coiled up wire in the cord reel you might end up with some problems. It's not a big problem with intermittent usage like a saw would get. A coiled cord, large loads for extended periods can build up a lot of heat. I melted a long coiled extension cord I had running to a server cabinet in one of my bedrooms. It also took out the carpet it was on. I'm lucky it was just the carpet that got burnt.
                  Erik

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Nice rig, John. Welcome aboard...

I do see one item of concern, however... That extension cord reel is gonna make for a lot of voltage drop when your BT is under load. You may trip breakers, but an even worse result might be a motor or brush burnout. You should definitely keep cord size up and length to a minimum with one of these saws.

Edit: Oops... I see Erik and I were on the same wavelength at the same time...

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Just noticed one other thing... I see you have the long SMT fence. You will definitely want to add an auxiliary table surface left of your SMT to provide workpiece support when using that fence... If the workpiece sags even a little, you may have it tossed back in your face.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2008
                        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Eric and U C are both correct

on that extention cord. DAHIKT, a lession from about 20 years ago proved to me that extention cords of the wrong size will burn up a motor. At least 12 g. or better yet 10 if you can find it. And not over 12' to 15' if possible. Other than that, you've got a really great saw and setup!

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Wow. What a setup! I thought mine was loaded up!

I absolutely love the lower shelf on that. The BT3100 stand doesn't lend itself well to that. However since my Thien cyclone and shop vac live in that space now, kind of irrelevant for me...

From what I can see in the pics, there are 3 items I would add. Mind you this is just me talking...

#1. Shark Guard / Riving knife. I absolutely LOVE mine.
                          #2. Dual slot miter slot table. I have 2 of them, one on each side of the main table. These come in VERY handy...
                          #3. Once you have the miter slot tables in, and set up. (contrary to what some folks here and elsewhere have said, it CAN be set parallel to the blade, it is however a time consuming process) grab a decent miter gauges. I am currently using my slot tables for jigs, and sleds, but an Incra V27 is on the wish list...

I tend to agree with the other folks, get a larger gauge cord. 10 gauge cords are hard to come by, but Lowes / Home Depot carry 12 gauge 15 footers all day long...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
                            • Ryobi BT-3000

Looks like you got the full monte with that setup! I don't know much about extension cords (except the thicker and shorter the better), but I've got to run mine through a step-up transformer anyway (Japanese 100V current), and luckily the trans has a breaker in it. I flipped the breaker a couple of times when building the recent loveseat--not with the BT3000, but with the Grizzly thickness planer.

Anybody remember this oldie?

==========
                            ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
                            Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

back to the OPs original question, it's been done where someone made the miter fence hold down block from wood. I'll try and locate the picture. It was done by our Australian friend and long time BT3000 owner Rod Kirby who has since moved on to another saw... I actually have the original Kirby hold down in my possession. I will take a picture tonight if I can't find one in the archives. All you need after that is the standard 5/16-18 x ? hex head bolt and washer available in any Lowes or HD or Ace hardware.
                              And a 5/16-18 female thru-threaded 5-star knob, should also be available in any decent hardware store.

Attached: photos of Kirby DIY Miter Fence Hold down:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...