This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willroundey

Blade adjusting handle

Has anyone come up with a sturdier handle for this? I think I stripped out my plastic one today and now have to order a new one.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

From My BT3 FAQ:

I broke my Elevation/bevel crank handle. What to do?
    The BT3000 crank is plastic, not the saw’s best feature. The BT3100 crank handle is not only plastic, it’s god-awful ugly, too. The crank handle is held onto the shaft with a socket head cap screw. Its been reported on the BT3000 it’s held with some sort of locking glue which is almost impossible to break loose. If the handle is broken, anyway, apparently heating the cap screw will break the bond and you can get the cap screw off the shaft.
    The shaft is 7/16th, not a standard shaft diameter, The crank handle engages the square end of the shaft with a square recess. You can get a replacement from Ryobi’s parts suppliers which is not cheap and you’ll still have a plastic handle,
    Or get the craftsman 22811 saw version which is cast metal but requires an adapter. You’ll need item #36, a 981817-001 adapter, ($9.09), and item #35, a 977277-002 Handwheel Assy ($9.99) and a ¼-20 by 1" capscrew (at your local hardware store). You’ll need to specify the saw model 315228110. Here’s a
    link to order them.
    Some have bought handles from other industrial suppliers but some modifications are needed because the standard shaft diameter is 3/8th inches.
    Here Jim Frye details how to beef up the BT3100 handle to make it stronger and stiffer. Basically it involves laying the handle face down and level, then filling the backside with lead shot and epoxy to stiffen and give it more heft.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Loring is that a typo? I thought the BT3000 handle was metal, like the 22811 and the BT3100 was the first plastic one.

Sorry for the thread jack, just wondering because people do part out the 3000 on occassion.

Edit: Part number #36 on Sears site is discontinued.
      Last edited by LinuxRandal; 07-14-2009, 12:53 PM.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The BT3000 was plastic but somewhat beefier than that of the BT3100. I ordered the replacement from sears and it is plastic as well. Mine broke because of negligent maintenance. You shouldn't need enough force to break it if the saw is cleaned and lubes properly or you have the dreaded shim issue
        Chr's

Comment

• BearPipes-1
          Established Member
          • May 2006
          • Silicon Valley, CA
          • Ryobi BT3100

Given that one of the two Sears part #s specified in the FAQ (36) is, as LinuxRandal points out, discontinued, is there a next best fix not dependent upon availability from private parties?
          Don't just say no to kickback.

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Broken link...

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            From My BT3 FAQ:

I broke my Elevation/bevel crank handle. What to do?
            The BT3000 crank is plastic, not the saw’s best feature. The BT3100 crank handle is not only plastic, it’s god-awful ugly, too. The crank handle is held onto the shaft with a socket head cap screw. Its been reported on the BT3000 it’s held with some sort of locking glue which is almost impossible to break loose. If the handle is broken, anyway, apparently heating the cap screw will break the bond and you can get the cap screw off the shaft.
            The shaft is 7/16th, not a standard shaft diameter, The crank handle engages the square end of the shaft with a square recess. You can get a replacement from Ryobi’s parts suppliers which is not cheap and you’ll still have a plastic handle,
            Or get the craftsman 22811 saw version which is cast metal but requires an adapter. You’ll need item #36, a 981817-001 adapter, ($9.09), and item #35, a 977277-002 Handwheel Assy ($9.99) and a ¼-20 by 1" capscrew (at your local hardware store). You’ll need to specify the saw model 315228110. Here’s a
            link to order them.
            Some have bought handles from other industrial suppliers but some modifications are needed because the standard shaft diameter is 3/8th inches.
            Here Jim Frye details how to beef up the BT3100 handle to make it stronger and stiffer. Basically it involves laying the handle face down and level, then filling the backside with lead shot and epoxy to stiffen and give it more heft.
            When you click the "here" link, you get a not found page.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • SoCal, USA
              • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Mine just broke. Cracked center. I knew I should have bought a metal one years ago. Since the adapter is not available, and I do not want another plastic one, any ideas? Can the wheel from the new sears saw be fitted ? Are the shafts the same?

htthttp://www.searspartsdirect.com/p...nts%20listp://

#Model# 315218290

part#99 and 101

Not sure if the handle, 101, has the adapter built into it.[gear]
              Andrew

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

EARLY BT3000s used a die cast metal handle. I happen to have one on a BT I am trying to rebuild for a community donation sort of thing.

I tend to disagree a bit on the BT3100 handle being ugly. Good visibility to me isn't ugly... But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

The idea of backfilling he void with epoxy and BB shot is actually a pretty good one... Might just have to order a spare handle for my AP1301 and pull that trick on it...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                  When you click the "here" link, you get a not found page.
                  I try to keep it current, but I can't be checking all the links all the time.
                  Pointing out errors is handy, but giving the correct info is even more useful.
                  so, jim, is there a current link to this article I can correct with? Or is it not on-line anymore?
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Duane867
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Aug 2009

Excellent info Loring !

Comment

Working...