• Show
Clear All
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by RickD1
    I just purchased a Dado Set a Lowes for $49.95 that I thought I would tell you about. It is made by a company called MIBRO in China. The set is all carbide tipped. It has 2 8" outside blades, 4 1/8" twin tooth chippers, 1 1/16" twin tooth chipper, 5 metal shims of various thicknesses, and comes in a foam lined wooden box that keeps everything secure. It will make cut dados from 1/4" to 13/16". It is rated at 5000 rpm. I am building a version of the ultimate tool stand out of MDF. The torsion box has a lot of dados. I ran it for a few hours yesterday and it worked well. I couldn't detect any abnormal vibrations or strain being placed on the motor even while gang cutting seven stacked peices of 3/4" MDF. Just trying to help save some $$$$.
    I have this one too and it has worked fine for me. I to have used it mostly on MDF so far. The first thing I did was make a block with every combination of cutters for test fitting . I also have a hole from each of my forstner bits....
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

On my BT3100, the teeth of a 6" dado clear the trunning by what looks like a 1/64". Since the trunnion is slightly tapered, an 8" dado would definitely be hitting it. I would not get an 8" for a BT3100. The SD206 makes excellent dadoes - clean, with dead flat bottom.

Comment

• charger1966
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Amsterdam, New York
        • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

Dado set

Ok; I thank you all for the great responce. It looks like the 6" Frued wins. I'll be getting that sometime next week. again thanks to all.
        Lance

Comment

• LowerUnit
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2006
          • Glendale, Az

Originally posted by scorrpio
          On my BT3100, the teeth of a 6" dado clear the trunning by what looks like a 1/64". Since the trunnion is slightly tapered, an 8" dado would definitely be hitting it. I would not get an 8" for a BT3100. The SD206 makes excellent dadoes - clean, with dead flat bottom.
          I've been following this thread with interest preparing for the timing and finances that will allow for a dado blade set purchase. If I'm not mistaken it was either here (this board) or in the owner's manual (I need to review it) that I remember reading the suggestion of 8" blades, but I've learned that may be larger than necessary for most dado cut depths (thanks for pointing this out to me Loring).

I just got more confused reading an 8" blade set will hit the trunion. I guess I need to understand this (trunion???) better so I can be aware & check clearances. If it would hit how are others running an 8" blade set?

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LowerUnit
            I've been following this thread with interest preparing for the timing and finances that will allow for a dado blade set purchase. If I'm not mistaken it was either here (this board) or in the owner's manual (I need to review it) that I remember reading the suggestion of 8" blades, but I've learned that may be larger than necessary for most dado cut depths (thanks for pointing this out to me Loring).

I just got more confused reading an 8" blade set will hit the trunion. I guess I need to understand this (trunion???) better so I can be aware & check clearances. If it would hit how are others running an 8" blade set?
            Read my other reply - the 8" will go on if you leave one 1/4" spacer.
            But that causes problems at the other end on wide dados.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

For a more in-depth answer: trunnions are the metal parts that support the arbor and move when you change blade height/angle. The BT3100 trunnion has a slight taper towards the blade. On the arbor, there are two spacers, a 1/2", and a 1/4". When using a regular 10" blade, you put both spacers on the arbor in order to cover the large non-threaded portion of it. When using dadoes, depending on how wide is the cut, you'll need to remove either 1/4" or 1/2" or both spacers. For 3/4" dadoes, both spacers gotta go off, or parts of the dado stack will end up on the arbor threads - which is bad, since threaded part is slightly thinner. (not the wisest arbor design, IMO. My RAS arbor is threaded all the way, but the thread is flat top, and is same exact diameter as all of the arbor)
              Well, in my BT3100, with both spacers off, teeth of a 6" dado barely clear the trunnion. An 8" would hit it. However, due to manufacturing deviations, I understand that on some saws, an 8" dado will clear.
              Now, if you already got an 8" set, it is not so bad. Taking a file to the trunnion for about half a minute in the rght spot should take care of the problem.

Comment

• jziegler
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Salem, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

I just want to point out another set that I just saw in the latest Rockler catalog. They are now carrying an Oshlun dado set (6" or 8") that looks just like the Avenger set that I and many others have. A quick search on here will get more information on it. If it is the same set (which a google search indicates that it probably is) it cuts well, but takes a bit more setup than the Freud. The 6" is about $60. I have been happy with my set, and if this really is the same, would reccommend it as a good budget option to others.

Jim

edit:

I just checked the website, and rockler doesn't have these items online. The January 2007 catalog has them on page 4. The item # is 21947.
                Last edited by jziegler; 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...