• Show
Clear All
  • charger1966
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Amsterdam, New York
    • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

Dado Blade set

Ok guys i'm in the market for a Dado Blade set for my BT31k. My Question is which one to buy? I have about $100.00 for the budget. Please let me know which is the best one for this saw and that fits my price. Oh that price is also for shipping, so don't laugh to hard, I'm on a very tight fixed income. SSD(Social Security Disability).
    Thanks
    Lance
  • Marlin
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

Check out eBay. They have unmarked ones for around $40 including shipping.

I don't want to buy the best when I am starting out on something so that is what I am looking at right now.

Kinda like a motorcycle. You know you are going to drop it a couple times when you start so don;t get some high end Harley.

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Check out this Freud set, I think it's a good compromise between quality and price and it fits your budget. Hope this helps, DP

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD206-6-Professional-Dado/dp/B0000223O8/sr=8-4/qid=1169442089/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-1734377-4268842?ie=UTF8&s=hi
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by charger1966
        Ok guys i'm in the market for a Dado Blade set for my BT31k. My Question is which one to buy? I have about $100.00 for the budget. Please let me know which is the best one for this saw and that fits my price. Oh that price is also for shipping, so don't laugh to hard, I'm on a very tight fixed income. SSD(Social Security Disability).
        Thanks
        Lance
        If you have $100 budgetted I suggest the Freud SD206.
        Proven over and over to be of high quality and works well with the BT.

Other dadoes have all kinds of issues:
        Don't cut flat bottom
        Aren't rated for the BT's 5000 RPM
        don't stack up right according to nominal plate sizes

Don't get an 8", although some say they use them OK, I know there are some fit issues on a BT3x. There's very little need for a dado groove more than 2.5" deep (which is what a 6" should do).

The SD206 will serve you in good stead. You should be able to find it for around $75-85.

$85 at Amazon, free shipping.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-23-2007, 12:39 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• davwho
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2006
          • Petawawa Ontario
          • BT3100

i researched for awhile and bought the freudSD206,and am very glad i did ,WOW makes great cuts,im no means an expert, kinda new with woodworking,anyhow im VERY happy with the freudSD206

Comment

• BenW
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2007

Any reason NOT to get the SD208?

It's the 8" version of the SD206 recommended here, as far as I can tell. Only $10 more, availabe at my local Lowes (as well as Amazon, etc.), and deeper cut (that I can't imagine ever needing).

Also, I'll search the site for dado throat plates but I'm interested in recommendations (or pointers to threads) on that, too.

thanks much
            --Ben

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yes, some people claim they have no probloems wth 8" dadoes on teh BT3
              but this is a fact:
              the 6" dados can sit closer to the motor allowing all the spacers to be removed.
              The 8" dado requires leaving on the 1/4" spacer.

There's no problem until you get to the widest stack (more than 5/8"),
              then the outer 8" blade sits on the threads which are a few mils smaller than the 5/8" arbor. So the outer blade is slightly off center and as a result cuts a few mils extra depth groove on the left, no longer flat bottom. Only affects 3/4 and 13/16th width dados.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• eddy merckx
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Western WA
                • Shop Fox Cabinet

Hey Lance
                I bought the Freud SD60 a few months ago to replace an HF $20 set. It works great with my BT3100. My favorite thing is that it will cut a 1/4" dado, which some of the cheaper sets are too thick to do. I really Freud blades---a lot of bang for the buck.
                Eddy

Comment

• whitecobra
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
                  • BT3K with most accessories

I used a Freud (as I do for MOST of my blades) and I have used Craftsmen but a bud brought me a Lifetime (sold through of all places Harbor Freight)
                  It is EXCELLENT
                  It is 8" not 6 it is carbide tipped and FREE replacement for ANY reason including you "just want to"
                  It has copper and brass shim spacers that are set machined (I really like this aspect)
                  All in for $40 I THINK is all they cost it will save your disability check and you can get flat bottom dadoes
                  I personally HATE the wobble blades and the stacks for me are the only way to go
                  Heck for $40 and with Harbor Freight's no hassle return policy buy it try and decide
                  Dr Dave
                  Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
                  www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• BenW
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2007

Great recommendation, whitecobra, for the well-priced HF dado. Hadn't thought about them as a source.

I just checked their web site and they list two "Lifetime" brand dados.

However, one states in the specs it's rated to 4500rpm and the other doesn't say in the specs but the photo of the blade shows it says up to 4500rpm.

So, according to LCHIEN's earlier post these don't seem to be quite up to spec for our saw.

Glad it's worked out fine for you. If I were on a tighter budget I might give one a try, too (on sale for $30!). But since I can swing the $85 I'll probably go Freud for the peace of mind of the rating.

Just thought I'd bring that detail to the discussion in case anyone else cares but hadn't noticed.

Thanks again. This group sure is a great resource!
                    --Ben

p.s. Speaking of which... Anyone want to comment on the possible risks of a 10% lower speed rating?

Comment

• RickD1
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Southern California
                      • BT3100

Dado Blade

I just purchased a Dado Set a Lowes for $49.95 that I thought I would tell you about. It is made by a company called MIBRO in China. The set is all carbide tipped. It has 2 8" outside blades, 4 1/8" twin tooth chippers, 1 1/16" twin tooth chipper, 5 metal shims of various thicknesses, and comes in a foam lined wooden box that keeps everything secure. It will make cut dados from 1/4" to 13/16". It is rated at 5000 rpm. I am building a version of the ultimate tool stand out of MDF. The torsion box has a lot of dados. I ran it for a few hours yesterday and it worked well. I couldn't detect any abnormal vibrations or strain being placed on the motor even while gang cutting seven stacked peices of 3/4" MDF. Just trying to help save some $$$$.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BenW
                        Great recommendation, whitecobra, for the well-priced HF dado. Hadn't thought about them as a source.

I just checked their web site and they list two "Lifetime" brand dados.

However, one states in the specs it's rated to 4500rpm and the other doesn't say in the specs but the photo of the blade shows it says up to 4500rpm.

So, according to LCHIEN's earlier post these don't seem to be quite up to spec for our saw.

p.s. Speaking of which... Anyone want to comment on the possible risks of a 10% lower speed rating?
                        OK, I will. The speed of the outer edge of an 8" HF dado blade turning at 5000 RPM
                        is 174 feet per second or 118 MPH. (By the way the HF is probably designed for saws with induction motors which often turn at about 3500 RPM giving some margin of safety.) What usually fails is the extreme certifugal force on the blade tips causes loose carbide tips to come off.
                        That means that they'll come flying off in your direction at 118 mph. They are razor sharp and have hardness much harder than steel, approaching that of diamonds.

Need I say any more?

BTW the Freud dado is rated for speeds higher than the BT saw...
                        I don't remember the exact figure and could not find it on the web (unless someone can read it off the blade on the Amazon enlarged photo)
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• turtle315

sd208 max rpm is 5000

Comment

• JSCOOK
                            • Sep 2006
                            • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Just another option for your review ...

I had been looking at other brands when a fellow member here (Dustmight) suggested to me to look/try the Dewalt DW7670 8" Dado set.

I ordered mine thru Timber Line Tools for only about $77 + shipping (and best yet they shipped to Canada!)

Although I haven't used them much since buying them in the fall, I've been really impressed with the results of the cuts I have done and the clean edges and bottoms ...

Specifications:
                            Diameter 8"
                            Teeth 24
                            Arbor Size 5/8"
                            Hook Angle -12
                            Tooth Grind ATB+R
                            Max. speed 7000rpm
                            # of Chippers 6
                            Chipper Sizes (4) 1/8", (1) 1/16", (1) 3/32"

Description
                            Heavy gauge, laser cut plates provide true, accurate cuts
                            Micro-grain carbide teeth deliver clean cuts and reduce splintering
                            4 tooth chippers give smooth, flat bottom cuts
                            Stainless steel shims allow for ultra-fine width adjustments
                            Heavy duty storage case protects blades against chipped teeth and damage
                            Last edited by JSCOOK; 01-23-2007, 07:31 AM.
                            "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

For those looking for a high value 8" dado, I'll second Jonathan's recommendation for the DW7670. Mine replaced a very good SD208. It makes cleaner cuts, has nicer shim stock, and a nicer carrying case too. It's usually on sale somewhere for near $90 or less.
                              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...