• Show
Clear All
  • RmeDad
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Scottsdale, AZ
    • BT3100-1

Bt3100 Gone?

Heard some VERY disturbing news today from a pretty reliable source. The BT3100-1 is going away and NO REPLACEMENT is in the works! Ryobi claims that there are not enough sales of this type of saw to sustain manufacturing.

Anybody else that can confirm, or deny, this news?
    Last edited by RmeDad; 03-23-2006, 08:16 PM.
    Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"
  • bigfoot15
    Established Member
    • Oct 2005
    • edmonton, alberta, Canada.
    • BT3100

the timing seems about right. About 2 months ago the local rep here told me there were high level Ryobi sales meetings happening at the beginning of March and that he thought something like that might be in the works.
    patience is a virtue I can\'t wait to have

Comment

• r1968
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Palo Alto, CA
      • BT3100

May be the price reductions were a precursor to this

Hopefully they will keep making spares at the very least. I guess this forum will be all the more necessary now.

--raj

Comment

• Raymonator
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Near Ottawa Ontario
        • Ryobi BT3100

What's the difference between a BT3100 and and BT3100-1 ? ****, just my luck, now that I've purchased my BT3100 last week. I'll bet ya they'll have a mega sale on now here in Canada, and give the things away. I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet.
        Measure twice....cut once.
        Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

If the BT3 does go away due to lack of sales the only thing that I could blame it on is thier marketing strategy. Who in thier right mind would give HD an exclusive on something like that? The BT3 needs to be sold by retailers that know what it is, how it works and what it can do. The saw won't sell itself covered in dust and improperly assembled with no one that has a clue about it's features.
          Sorry, had to rant.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• RmeDad
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Scottsdale, AZ
            • BT3100-1

Ruff! Ruff!
            Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• RmeDad
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Scottsdale, AZ
              • BT3100-1

Same thing

Originally posted by Raymonator
              What's the difference between a BT3100 and BT3100-1 ?
              A different switch. That's it.
              Jack

Comment

• r1968
                Established Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Palo Alto, CA
                • BT3100

Probably the most sold TS ever

If BT is not the most sold table saw ever it is probably very close. It would be a shame to let Home Depot apathy put an end to good little machine.
                Given that woodworking is so popular these days, I won't be surprised if they come with a more loaded model after a break

--raj

Comment

• RmeDad
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Scottsdale, AZ
                  • BT3100-1

Too many companies.

Here's my interpretation on the issue. TTI, which owns Ridgid, Ryobi etc., may have plans on consolidating the "table saw division" under one company's logo, as opposed to selling multiple saws under different names, essentially competing for the same market share. This might allow them to manufacture a "killer" saw to compete with the "other" companies.

Don't know, just a guess!
                  Jack

Comment

• Stormbringer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Floral Park, NY
                    • Bosch 4000

I guess the Crafstman clones will follow suit

If true, I wonder what their plans are for the BT20, BT15, BT10?

Comment

• RmeDad
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Scottsdale, AZ
                      • BT3100-1

Less cost, lower quantity sold requirements.

Originally posted by Stormbringer
                      If true, I wonder what their plans are for the BT20, BT15, BT10?
                      My guess is that the low price point of the smaller saws might make it practical for them to continue.
                      Jack

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

I've feared this for quite a while. Basically it would seem that all of the ryobi flagship products are going away. The reason is that they are pushing the ridgid brand as the pro level stuff, and ryobi has a rep for being junk. This comes from talking with a bunch of contractors, not that I personally think that it's junk.

Some examples are the ryobi OSS, which has been replaced with the more expensive ridgid OSS/belt sander. The AP1300, which has been ditched because the features are too like the ridgid, and now the 3100 TS, which will no doubt has been eating at the TS3650 sales.

It doesn't much matter to me, I love my bt, and when it dies, I'll probably go Orion hybrid or whatever is new and looks good at the time. I feel for the new woodworker who no longer has such a great price/performance TS to buy as a starter.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• jziegler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Salem, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I hope that this isn't true, although it sounds quite possible. If it wasn't for the BT and this site, I'd probably have either an ancient Rockwell/Delta 9" (my dad's old saw), a Skil, or the B&D firestorm, none of which are as good of a saw. It is sad that such a great machine may be going away, and without it, what good options will there be for the new woodworker on a tight budget?

Maybe some other company will decide to design something similar to fill a similar role?

-Jim

Comment

• Mar 2004
                            • Northern NJ, USA.
                            • BT3100

well, what are we gonna do about it?!?!

So, are we just gonna sit idly by while they tank our beloved saw, the heart of the shop, the soul of our woodworking existence? NO! When the the going gets tough, the tough get going! Lets march on Ryobi's HQ with pitchforks, featherboards and used saw blades. Lets convince them to change their erring ways, or we burn it down!!!!

or something like that?

curt j.
                            Last edited by 430752; 03-24-2006, 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling errors
                            A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• bigsteel15
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • Edmonton, AB
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Raymonator
                              What's the difference between a BT3100 and and BT3100-1 ? ****, just my luck, now that I've purchased my BT3100 last week. I'll bet ya they'll have a mega sale on now here in Canada, and give the things away. I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet.
                              Have you ever seen HD have a clearance sale on anything big? I haven't and believe me I watch.
                              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

Working...