• Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I suppose I'm just too content

Local HD has bargains galore -----

- Makita 18V drill/driver for $79 (Manager's special)
    - Milwaukee M12 drill/driver for $75 (scratch/dent end cap)
    - Bosch fixed - base router for $139 (clearance end-cap)

Not really sure what the deal is ---- non of these things excite me all that much.

The Makita drills are left overs from a special promotion back in April. They didn't do that well since they only come with a single battery. For me - 18V is more of a construction tool than a woodworking tool. My 12V Makita set feels just right.

The Milwaukee is a scratch and dent special ---- likely a Christmas return. I couldn't find the scratch for the life of me (besides - who doesn't scratch their tools?) I would have sprung for this (M12 is the best rated 12V drill). However - like I said - I'm really content with the Makita.

My local HD decided Bosch tools don't move fast enough - so they're dropping them. Not a dang thing wrong with the router except HD doesn't want it.

No doubt, there will be more Christmas returns in the end cap, soon. Problem is - I just don't care! I might get excited about a Ridgid Table Saw scratch/dent ---- but even that would e far-fetched, since I have a kid headed to college in September.

In any event - guys --- keep an eye out @ HD if you're in the market for tool bargains.
  • lrr
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Ryobi BT-3100

Funny, I don't get too interested in going down the tool aisle at HD either. It may be that I've bought most of the Ridgid brand items I wanted. Back when they carried jointers in the store, I bought their 6" model. Basically the same as the Craftsman at the time (slightly different cabinet, and colors of course were different) but the Ridgid was on sale when I bought it. I also have their 2930 2HP router with fixed and plunge base. I like this router quite a bit in my router table since it can be adjusted from above with a small tool, similar to the Porter-Cable routers. I've only used the plunge base a few times. I still like the ergonomics on my old (1975) Craftsman that has the trigger switch in the grip. I own the Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander, a very versatile tool. I also have a belt sander that is fantastic -- variable speed and soft start. I forgot, I also have a Ridgid 1/4 sheet sander (nothing special, it was free with my belt sander), and a 10" compound miter saw, too. The last purchase I made at Home Depot for a tool was for the little Ridgid palm router. I love that router, and it has a 1/4" roundover bit in it at all times since I seem to use that bit all the time. Wow, I sound like a Ridgid fanboy! But I do not have any of their cordless tools, oddly enough.

I have even less desire to shop for tools at Lowe's, other than they carry Bessey clamps at pretty good prices. Also, if you use your Lowe's card, you get a 5% discount on any purchase (not the occasional "special" deal from Home Depot when they send card holders a psot card to get 5% off). Since Lowe's prices are typically the same as HD, I tend to go their for some generic purchase where I know I'll save a little.

Since I'm nearing retirement, my purchases over the past couple years have been higher end products -- Festool, Powermatic, Laguna, etc. And I'm looking at Felder and Hammer for combo jointer/planer and possibly a second large bandsaw. I'd love to have one for "scrolling", and one for resawing. (Maybe just a pipe dream at this point ...)

They should last a lifetime -- especially for me ...
    Last edited by lrr; 12-29-2013, 03:07 AM.
    Lee

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I've not really looked at the tools either place lately. The Bosch Colt for $100 caught my eye at Lowes a couple of months ago, but that's it.

I'm in savings mode for more expensive tools at the moment. Beefy router, track saw, perhaps a Domino...but I do need a quality finish sander and a corded trim router. Those have kinda been put on the back burner to see how fast I can save.

A lot more of my browsing is done at Highland or Lee Valley these days.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

I have a kid headed to college in September.
        One major reason for cutting down on impulse buying. Congrats, or condolences, as the case may be.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I don't know quite what it is, but visiting Home Depot, especially their tool isle has become less and less attractive to me. In this past year, I think I've gone there only a couple of times and have bought nothing.

The two stores that I used to visit (Corning and Binghamton areas) seem to have less and less in the way of actual tools, no big tool displays, and nothing really new that has caught my eye.

Everything seems to be just disrupted in some way, missing parts, damaged, dirty or whatever. Never a salesman in that part of the store or anyone really assigned with responsibility for it. The whole thing appears to be just of the contractors who need to get in and get out quickly to replace a tool.

I stopped in at the Binghamton-area store yesterday to pick up some light bulbs and noticed that they only have one cashier now, everything else is self-checkout and I refuse to use "robots". Very few customers in the store. Lowes, on the other hand has lots of cashiers, no self-checkouts (hurray), and though their tool displays are always well organized and manned.

I wonder what HD's "numbers" are looking like?

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I'll take the self checkouts 10 times out of 10. Much faster.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

I feel the same way as well. I think it's because when I first started woodworking I didn't really know anything so when I saw a tool in real life I would be like a kid in a candy store. I would go up to a ridgid router and read the description printed and be like oooh this thing has a soft start, 6 speeds, and comes with 2 bases. Well after a while you realize most modern routers all have those features and some have features the ridgid is lacking. Or you would see a buck brothers plane all nice and shiny and think it was a great plane for the price. Then you read reviews in mags or comments on forums about how it's not such a great deal and you will have to do alot of fiddling with it to work properly. Of course for me, drinking the green kool aid certainly didn't help. And neither did learning about the existence of companies like Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley, and Bridge city.

That and after some time you probably have equivalent tools of everything they have on the isles. And it's either better or you're content with what you have and have no need to upgrade.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• durango dude
                • Mar 2011
                • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Local HD must have nailed their inventory for Christmas.

There's almost nothing left over from Black Friday ----- all the "special" crates are gone - and replaced by storage offerings (Rubbermaid, tool boxes, etc).

There's a couple of gun safes left over - and that's pretty much it.

Way I figure - some dude with a computer figured almost exactly what they'd sell --- and shipped it. So what did my store sell? Almost nothing of value to a woodworker! (that's not what sells).

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

What I wanted to buy from Home Depot woodworking tools wise, they quit selling. I have gotten to be a HUGE fan of the Hitachi KM12VC, which of the box stores, Lowes carried, the items I really wanted from Home Depot?

Most notable, the Ryobi DP121L 12" drill press.

They did brign the Ridgid 6" jointer back, although in my current shop config, a floor model jointer is going to be tough to pull off... I think it is an online only item though...

Yeah, I can honestly say I no longer go to Home Depot to drool. Now it is Woodcraft, or Rockler...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I know a lot of folks like the "robot" self-serve checkouts. For me, not so much... er, actually NOT at all.

It's not that they are complicated or anything, it's just that it replaces someone's job. I grew up in a time when those kinds of jobs were "starters"; a good place to learn the ropes of working, earn a work history of sorts.

(Actually, Thomas J. Watson [IBM's creator] started out as a part-time clerk in the little hardware store in Painted Post... I wonder what would have happened if that job wasn't available because of a self-serve machine?)

We used to do that (starter jobs) with pumping gas at the local station, or bagging groceries, etc. Too much of that has gone by the way side in my opinion. I like service, I like dealing with people and I rarely mind the wait as you can always strike up a conversation, even a short one, with someone new.

I won't support doing away with people by replacing them with a self-serve robot.

CWS
                    Last edited by cwsmith; 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM.
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• greenacres2
                      • Dec 2011
                      • La Porte, IN
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cwsmith
                      Snip...
                      (Actually, Thomas J. Watson [IBM's creator] started out as a part-time clerk in the little hardware store in Painted Post... I wonder what would have happened if that job wasn't available because of a self-serve machine?)
                      ...Snip

CWS
                      Perhaps he would not have been able to pay for the education that led him to found one of the companies that made self-serve check-out possible?? Imagine the irony...

earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Maybe he would have founded IBM five years sooner...
                        and its market value would be twice as much now.

one day soon, its almost possible today, the robot cashiers may be androids, carry on a casual conversation while checking you out and might pass the Turing test (can't tell a live person from an android).

They may even check you out and make a pass at you!
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-30-2013, 09:14 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by cwsmith
                          I know a lot of folks like the "robot" self-serve checkouts. For me, not so much... er, actually NOT at all.

It's not that they are complicated or anything, it's just that it replaces someone's job. I grew up in a time when those kinds of jobs were "starters"; a good place to learn the ropes of working, earn a work history of sorts.

We used to do that (starter jobs) with pumping gas at the local station, or bagging groceries, etc. Too much of that has gone by the way side in my opinion. I like service, I like dealing with people and I rarely mind the wait as you can always strike up a conversation, even a short one, with someone new.

I won't support doing away with people by replacing them with a self-serve robot.

CWS
                          The more people they have at the front end, the less they have out on the floor. There is only so much money for payroll, no need to waste it on people to be bored in one place all day.

That's where I started too, and I don't wish that job on anyone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

I will not use the self service check out under any conditions. The big box stores have laid off a lot of full time workers and have dumped their responsabilities on their suppliers. Now we have a store full of shelf stockers that do not know anything about the store except their racks.
                            capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
                              I will not use the self service check out under any conditions. The big box stores have laid off a lot of full time workers and have dumped their responsabilities on their suppliers. Now we have a store full of shelf stockers that do not know anything about the store except their racks.
                              capncarl
                              So these are things Amazon has done, too. The box stores are just trying to compete?

Or maybe we use Amazon because the don't provide any real services anymore?

Do you use Amazon at all? There's no full service there - all self service. Just stockers and shipping-packers
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...