X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Like BigguyZ said, I stopped by local HD. Their computer showed 36 in stock but after looking for about 30 minutes, they gave up and told me to come back in a couple days and, hopefully, they will have found them. Maybe, the 2/4 promotional that Raffi mentioned will be when they find them.
    Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
      Wow! Thanks, Tommy. I think I'll get one of these when they arrive here. My question though is: "How long will the C-cells last throwing out that much light?"
      Richard
      Alkaline C-cells have about 7800 mAH; NiMh C-cells have about 4500 mAH' Usually that's for modest loads like 100 mA, at higher loads it will go down quite a bit due to losses from internal resistance.

If its a 3-W light (thats what one forum guy said, HD website did not say) at about 3.3V (both cell types under load will operate about 1.1V) then we're talking about 900-1000 mA.

Derating the capacity by say 20% for high loads, I would say somewhere in the range of 3-6 hours would be reasonable. Age of battery, temperature etc make a difference. Alkalines will last longer.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Alkaline C-cells have about 7800 mAH; NiMh C-cells have about 4500 mAH' Usually that's for modest loads like 100 mA, at higher loads it will go down quite a bit due to losses from internal resistance.

If its a 3-W light (thats what one forum guy said, HD website did not say) at about 3.3V (both cell types under load will operate about 1.1V) then we're talking about 900-1000 mA.

Derating the capacity by say 20% for high loads, I would say somewhere in the range of 3-6 hours would be reasonable. Age of battery, temperature etc make a difference. Alkalines will last longer.
        Does that mean that the only advantage of the NiMh cells over the alkalines is the fact they are rechargeable? Otherwise, ad alkalines? Thanks.
        Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
          Does that mean that the only advantage of the NiMh cells over the alkalines is the fact they are rechargeable? Otherwise, ad alkalines? Thanks.
          ah, the alkalines have a bit more power capacity. That's sort of negated somewhat by the fact that the NiMh have a flatter discharge curve, where the voltage is more constant, so you'll get a more consistent brightness to the end of the discharge capacity.

Alkalines also have a much better self discharge characterstic. They'll retain 50% of their capacity sitting in a battery or on the shelf for about 5 or more years (depending upon storage conditions: hot=worse, cold=better). NiCad were always poor, 50% gone in a 2 weeks to a month. NiMh are better there, 50% gone in maybe 3-4-6 months but certainly not 5-10 years.

For emergency use like flashlights, primary cells are probably a better choice.

Rechargeable are of course cheaper if you can recharge them multiple times over their life. But unless you charge them continuously or on a schedule they won't be ready for an emergency and of course if power is out you can't recharge them when they are discharged.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            ah, the alkalines have a bit more power capacity. That's sort of negated somewhat by the fact that the NiMh have a flatter discharge curve, where the voltage is more constant, so you'll get a more consistent brightness to the end of the discharge capacity.

Alkalines also have a much better self discharge characterstic. They'll retain 50% of their capacity sitting in a battery or on the shelf for about 5 or more years (depending upon storage conditions: hot=worse, cold=better). NiCad were always poor, 50% gone in a 2 weeks to a month. NiMh are better there, 50% gone in maybe 3-4-6 months but certainly not 5-10 years.

For emergency use like flashlights, primary cells are probably a better choice.

Rechargeable are of course cheaper if you can recharge them multiple times over their life. But unless you charge them continuously or on a schedule they won't be ready for an emergency and of course if power is out you can't recharge them when they are discharged.
            Wow! And I thought batteries were just batteries - simple to use and throw them away. Thanks, Loring.
            Richard

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Dropped by a HD before work, hoping I'd see them out on the floor. I didn't see them, and unfortunately I didn't have the time to check with customer service.

I'll have time after work to look. Luckily, I'm traveling and the hotel is right next to the HD, so I don't have to go out of my way.

Comment

• slieber967
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2007

picked 1 up yesterday.they were not with the other flashlights but were hanging in the plumbling section. go figure. the hardware guy swore he had them but you really have to look around.

good luck

kc

Comment

• fishdude123
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2008

I think Costco has these same flashlights in a two pack with a $5 off instant coupon for something around $20 out the door. They are BRIGHT. The odd thing I noticed is that the beam of light when zoomed out is square.

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by fishdude123
                    The odd thing I noticed is that the beam of light when zoomed out is square.
                    Does that prove that Einstein was right? E = m times (c "squared")
                    Richard

Comment

• tommyt654
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by fishdude123
                      I think Costco has these same flashlights in a two pack with a $5 off instant coupon for something around $20 out the door. They are BRIGHT. The odd thing I noticed is that the beam of light when zoomed out is square.
                      The ones at Costco are different and do not throw the same amount of light as these, different manufacturer and don't have the same warranty,but you do get the Costco warranty,but 2 for 20 still ain't a bad deal if you have a Costco nearby.We don't yet but rumor has it ones on the way. A good sign for ya'll as the deals will only get better possibly once we get it as I'll have another store to peruse. Furthur comparisons of these 2 flashlights are coming forth and for the most part all agree the Defiant seems to be better built than the Feits at Costco, but you do get 2 of them. BTW Black Walnut. you might want one for your bike attached with one of these , http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=slickdeals
                      Last edited by tommyt654; 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by tommyt654
                        ...you might want one for your bike attached with one of these , http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=slickdeals
                        Made me think of a headlight setup I had on a bicycle as a kid. Looked something like this.

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

The ones at Costco are different and do not throw the same amount of light as these, different manufacturer and don't have the same warranty,but you do get the Costco warranty,but 2 for 20 still ain't a bad deal if you have a Costco nearby.We don't yet but rumor has it ones on the way. A good sign for ya'll as the deals will only get better possibly once we get it as I'll have another store to peruse. Furthur comparisons of these 2 flashlights are coming forth and for the most part all agree the Defiant seem to be better built than the Feits at Costco, but you do get 2 of them. BTW Black Walnut. you might want one for your bike attached with one of these , http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=slickdeals
                          They just built a Costco near us. It's been open over a year. It's in GA right off 75 before you get to the TN state line. Maybe they're expanding farther south now.
                          Richard

Comment

• tommyt654
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2008

Put either of these flashlights on a bike and odds are you'll blind any car coming towards you, but would be nice to have in the dusk to make sure they see you riding, maybe keep in tilted down somewhat. Phrog they are closing the local K-Mart here and rumor is Costco's on the way. Closest to us otherwise is in Marietta and another in Ft. Oglethorpe (great gun collection there) so this would be about halfway between the 2 and make sense as they would also get the Canton and Rome folks here and we have easy acess via I-75. towns really growing a lot.While I like the convienance of having large stores available its one of the reasons we left Marietta was all the congestion, hope it doesn't head to much up this way.

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Put either of these flashlights on a bike and odds are you'll blind any car coming towards you, but would be nice to have in the dusk to make sure they see you riding, maybe keep in tilted down somewhat. Phrog they are closing the local K-Mart here and rumor is Costco's on the way. Closest to us otherwise is in Marietta and another in Ft. Oglethorpe (great gun collection there) so this would be about halfway between the 2 and make sense as they would also get the Canton and Rome folks here and we have easy acess via I-75. towns really growing a lot.While I like the convienance of having large stores available its one of the reasons we left Marietta was all the congestion, hope it doesn't head to much up this way.
                              That Ft. Oglethorpe store is probably the one I'm talking about. I didn't know they had guns though. They opened the store in GA because of the alcohol laws here and they wanted to sell wine. Thus, they opened the store just across the state line to avoid the alcohhol issue while getting the Chattanooga traffic. Makes sense that Costco would open another store near you.
                              Richard

Comment

• lago
                                Established Member
                                • Nov 2003
                                • Lago Vista, TX.

I stopped at 2 different HD's in Austin this past week and according to Customer Service at each store, 36 were in stock. I didn't have time to have someone look for me on the 1st store.

Yesterday, I stopped at another HD and had several people looking for them. According to one guy, they had 36 in inventory as a 'floater'. According to him, that is an individual display.

Left them my name/phone # but nothing yet.

Lago

Comment

Working...