• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

You can spot details like how the blade height adjusting yoke is made from a glance....thin stamped steel vs cast. You can spot if the handles are well shaped rosewood, and the y-adjuster is cast and painted, and the lateral adjuster is two piece construction vs one piece. Things like the handles don't directly effect the performance or quality of the plane, but they're a hint as to the approach that the manufacturer took to the small details ...smooth rosewood or hardwood handles are preferable to plastic, and cruder wood. It's amazing how much nicer those rounded well finished handles feel in your hands than those with more square edges. Also, it's not a show stopper if there's no frog adjustment screw, but it's useful to have one vs not.

It's much harder to spot things like the precision of the machining, quality of the metals, and fit/finish without taking a good look and/or pulling the frog off, but from experience I know that the better older planes are superior in that regard.

Rexmill.com is a very useful site, and their type study is especially useful for picking up tidbits of info.
    Last edited by Knottscott; 01-19-2012, 12:31 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I hate to pick this apart but here goes nothin...

Originally posted by Knottscott
      You can spot details like how the blade height adjusting yoke is made from a glance....thin stamped steel vs cast.
      Not sure how thick you want it, but the height adjusting yoke on mine are plenty thick enough. Yes they are pressure formed (stamped), but they are well formed and somewhat substantial. A cast piece would be more subject to fracture and failure in the long term I would think.

You can spot if the handles are well shaped rosewood,
      The examples you post seem to have fairly crude handles. The ones on all of my Groz planes are much more refined than those... And have a good feel in the hand to them...

As far as the frog adjustment screws are concerned, take apart a Groz #4, it's there...

Yes, I agree, that if all Groz planes have handles like you illustrate, that could be problematic.... In my experience, actually having used these planes though, the #5 and #6 both have very nicely rounded totes, and the ones on the #4 and #7 and decent enough, not uncomfortable by any means.

I do agree, that old iron is nice, but from my experience, and what it appears, the experience of others, finding good used examples at reasonable prices isn't as easy as some make it out to be. Kind of like the old power tools thing. There are a lot of nice older power tools on the market, but it seems like you need to live in New England or the Midwest to find those deals... Those of us in the Southwest at least, don't seem to have that much luck finding the used ones... And if those used good ones aren't available, and your budget says Groz, Buck Bros, or Big Box store Stanleys, the Groz are the best ones out there...

Maybe you guys up north could migrate some of those older quality hand tools down here so we can have a fair crack at 'em!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

The only thing I see odd about the Groz handle is that it's a bit angular, or perhaps that's what you're getting at.

If it's real wood, isn't that something that can be remedied?
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I think Knotscott's observations are pretty good. It's not always easy to tell what's good or not just from a photo, especially photos of unknown makes. But the quality of the stuff you see should give you hints on the overall quality of the tool.

The shape and finish of the tote and knob does make a difference, especially when the planes are being used for long periods. I know I wouldn't have liked using my Groz to flatten my benchtop. A cheaper plane usually requires more work to get it performing well. The fit and finish of the wood on my Groz is nothing like my older rosewood stanleys.

I've had pretty good luck on ebay for my plane collection. A few of my purchases needed some work, especially rust removal, but that's why I got them so cheap. I only found a couple planes on Craigs List a while back.
          Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

so is a Groz #4 better than the USA-made Stanley Handyman #4 equivalent (H1204 10" Bench plane) I have?
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

No one answered this one yet.:

so is a Groz #4 better than the USA-made Stanley Handyman #4 equivalent (H1204 10" Bench plane) I have?

And I have another question:

Do Hock blades for the 4, 5, 6 fit the Groz 4, 5,6 bench planes? I hear they're much better than the stock Groz blades... of course, a $40 blade on a $17 plane should be a lot better, and maybe worth it if the blade is the worst thing on the Groz.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                No one answered this one yet.:

And I have another question:

Do Hock blades for the 4, 5, 6 fit the Groz 4, 5,6 bench planes? I hear they're much better than the stock Groz blades... of course, a $40 blade on a $17 plane should be a lot better, and maybe worth it if the blade is the worst thing on the Groz.
                I initially didn't answer b/c I wasn't sure. Because any reasonably decent plane can be tuned to be capable of working well, it can really be hard to say...every plane is only as good as it's current edge and setup...which can both be fleeting....more so with cheaper planes that don't hold adjustments or an edge as well. My guess is that the parts are better made on your Handyman, but the Groz may have more adjustments. If I already owned a Handyman, I sure wouldn't run out and by a Groz b/c someone said it was better, or vice-versa.

I've heard wonderful things about the Hock blades, but I'm not sure whether or not they'll fit a Groz...I'm thinking "probably" but am not sure.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...