• Show
Clear All
  • Darth_Brehm
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2011
    • Wilsonville Oregon
    • BT3000

Clearance on Groz Planes (Woodcraft)

I recently saw that Woodcraft had a selection of Groz hand planes on clearance:

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

I know a lot of people have stated to save your money and get planes on ebay or more expensive options... but for $19 (+7.50 shipping) for a #5 Jack plane I thought I would take a gamble...

If you are like me and are used to "garage-sell-specials" on your planes, you might check it out.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

The Groz planes can be hit and miss. For that low of a price it might be OK. I've read that their QC has improved some.

I picked up a set with a #4 and the low angle block a few years ago. I like the block plane, but I still haven't gotten the other to work right. I still very much prefer my old Stanley planes.
    Erik

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Right now, all of my hand planes are Groz. #4, 5, 6, and 7 as well as the standard angle block plane. The #5 was a bit of work getting dialed in, and I still haven't messed with the block plane much, but the rest were very easy to get set up and working nicely...

Yes, pre WW2 Stanleys and the like are better except the blades. But I have found that either the ones I come accross are total junk (busted and welded etc...) or the owners want nearly Veritas prices for them... No thanks...

The blades do tend to dull a bit more quickly than I would like, but they aren't terrible... Comparing these to say Buck Bros, or current Stanley isn't a fair comparison, these are MUCH better planes...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

I've had the #5 and block in my cart for a couple of weeks now debating the purchase. The only thing I have is a Stanley 10" from Lowe's that was better than expected.

Went to an antiques store today and only found block-based planes and one Dunlap that they wanted way too much for. And I suppose I should mention the block plane that I almost pulled the trigger on until I realized the sole had a noticeable twist.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
          I've had the #5 and block in my cart for a couple of weeks now debating the purchase. The only thing I have is a Stanley 10" from Lowe's that was better than expected.

Went to an antiques store today and only found block-based planes and one Dunlap that they wanted way too much for. And I suppose I should mention the block plane that I almost pulled the trigger on until I realized the sole had a noticeable twist.
          For the price of these things, get the lot of them. Heck they are probably worth that just for the tote and knob!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• johnk
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2009

Thanks for posting!

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Bought the block and the #5. Have a #4, and the #7 was too expensive. Didn't see the point in the #3 at this juncture.

I'll continue to look locally for older stuff as well. Now to get some stuff to get these in shape...

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I didn't see the point to the #3 either...

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Groz planes on sale represent a nice discount on what is still a fairly mediocre quality tool. It beats paying full price, but it doesn't improve the overall build quality...it just lowers your expectations. For that same $26, I've bought really nicely made Millers Falls #14 (a Stanley #5 equivalent), Stanley Bailey #5, and older Record #5's. The MF, Bailey, and Record planes have better bones to start with...they may not be clean and shiny when you get them, but they will be very well made.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

It's not about finding them shiny, it's about finding them at all. I don't do eBay anymore, and I can't make any flea markets on the weekends. The guy I used to know that refurbed them on CL has disappeared as far as I can tell.

There's a listing right now for a Stanley Handyman 4 and a MF 900 that I may give a call about today, but that's basically it. Even if the only thing I get out of these is a chance to practice tuning them up, I consider that a small price to pay.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                      It's not about finding them shiny, it's about finding them at all. I don't do eBay anymore, and I can't make any flea markets on the weekends. The guy I used to know that refurbed them on CL has disappeared as far as I can tell.

There's a listing right now for a Stanley Handyman 4 and a MF 900 that I may give a call about today, but that's basically it. Even if the only thing I get out of these is a chance to practice tuning them up, I consider that a small price to pay.
                      The "Handyman" series and MF "900" are both versions of economy planes from those respective companies. Both still well made, but aren't quite as nice as the Baileys or MF #9 (with no zeros). They're more likely to have plastic handles, decals instead of embossing, fewer adjustments, and some cheaper metal parts.

Why the "no go" stance on Ebay? Ebay is just another market...it's only as good as the people behind the deals, but those people change with nearly every transaction. It's where I've found the majority of my diamonds in the rough.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Knottscott
                        The "Handyman" series and MF "900" are both versions of economy planes from those respective companies. Both still well made, but aren't quite as nice as the Baileys or MF #9 (with no zeros). They're more likely to have plastic handles, decals instead of embossing, fewer adjustments, and some cheaper metal parts.

Why the "no go" stance on Ebay? Ebay is just another market...it's only as good as the people behind the deals, but those people change with nearly every transaction. It's where I've found the majority of my diamonds in the rough.
                        It's a philosophical difference of opinion between myself and that company. I may at some point have to create another account out of necessity, but if or until I don't care to do business with them.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Knotscott...

In all honesty, I have no idea how you guys find these old planes. I have watched Ebay, Craigslist, garage sales, and swap meets only to find like I previously mentioned junk that is busted up badly and repaired far worse, or the seller wants Veritas prices for them.

As far as comparing the economy line from Stanley to the Groz, there is no comparison. The Stanley economy line stuff, at least the models I have been exposed to are very poorly machined, including adjusters that don't adjust, period.

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by dbhost
                            Knotscott...

In all honesty, I have no idea how you guys find these old planes. I have watched Ebay, Craigslist, garage sales, and swap meets only to find like I previously mentioned junk that is busted up badly and repaired far worse, or the seller wants Veritas prices for them.

As far as comparing the economy line from Stanley to the Groz, there is no comparison. The Stanley economy line stuff, at least the models I have been exposed to are very poorly machined, including adjusters that don't adjust, period.
                            Just good timing I guess, but I have found many good ones, and only a few I regretted.

The Stanley "Handyman" series was better than some of the Stanley econo lines, but I still think the Baileys are better overall.

Stanley's like this one were pretty poor:

Here's a Stanley Handyman that's decent:

Here's a Stanley Defiance that's better:

Here's a Stanley Bailey that's very good and a comparable Record and Millers Falls plane (as examples of good ones):

Here's a Groz:

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

This isn't meant to be snarky at all, but how can you tell what's good and what's not just by looking at them?

I mean, besides obvious defects like the sole being twisted or missing pieces or what not. The ones you posted, I can't tell any appreciable differences that would have me pick one over the other.

Comment

Working...