X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtrcy
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005

Deal alert: Freud 8" boxcutter blade set $25 at Sears

This was posted a while back on Woodnet, and some members are helping themselves to multiple sets, but I just found a set at the Livonia MI Sears, so they are still out there if you look.

They are marked $99.99, but mine rang up for $24.97. Comes in a very nice holder as well.

Good luck!

Julian
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

That Freud box joint set is really nice. Crisp, clean, flat 1/4" or 3/8" joints every time.

That's a steal at $25!
    Erik

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

What he said! I paid about $ 55 and I thought I stole it.

$25 is an extremely good deal.
      Nice find1
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

I think I'll be out that way tomorrow. Might check it out.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I have found the close out tools at Sears in a Clearance section hidden in a corner. Their close out items may not be the same place in every store, but it does look like they pull the items off the shelves and let them pile up before someone gets around to marking it down.
          capncarl

Comment

• Greg in Maryland
            Established Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Montgomery Village, Maryland
            • BT3100

I picked up the last one at my local Sears. Thanks for the tip.

Greg

Comment

• Les
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2003
              • Portland, OR area
              • BT3000

Darn!

No such luck out here in WA state. Called the local store and was told that this set is only available online. On the Sears website the SBOX8 set is a whopping $70 and it's not even sold by Sears, but an affiliate store.

I guess I will just have to make do with my dado set... I understand that the box cutter set comes with some nice instructions on how to make a box joint jig. Any of you lucky shoppers care to scan and post them? TIA

Comment

• KC7CN
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2007
                • Deltona, Florida
                • PowerMatic 64A

Originally posted by Les
                No such luck out here in WA state. Called the local store and was told that this set is only available online. On the Sears website the SBOX8 set is a whopping $70 and it's not even sold by Sears, but an affiliate store.

I guess I will just have to make do with my dado set... I understand that the box cutter set comes with some nice instructions on how to make a box joint jig. Any of you lucky shoppers care to scan and post them? TIA
                Sears has been closing out the Freud line of saw blades & router bits during the last 2+ years. I first noticed the router bits in the Clearance rack a couple of years ago when we lived in central Washington state; picked up quite a few bits - dirt cheap! A little later on there was a big reduction in price on saw blades - about half off. We live in Oregon now, and I found a 24T full-kerf rip blade for $18; last original price $37.99. When I was in the store today I couldn't find any Freud blades!

-Don

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I've never owned anything like this and I am trying to figure out - what is the difference between the boxcutter blade set and a dado blade set?
                  Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
                    I've never owned anything like this and I am trying to figure out - what is the difference between the boxcutter blade set and a dado blade set?
                    the Freud Boxcutter is a very specialized dado.
                    Cuts only 2 precise sizes 1/4" and 3/8" with very clean edges and flat bottoms, Specially made for 1/4" and 3/8" box joints.

P.S. As Erik said below there's 2 different blades, call them A & B. They can only rotate one way of course.
                    So if you put A on the right and B on the left then the you get the 1/4" "kerf" and if you put B on the left and A on the right then you get a 3/8" Kerf.

I haven't handled a set myself but the way this is done I expect is that the cutting teeth are offset to have 1/16th more on one side than the other. The "A" blade would have the extra offset on the right and the B on the left.

When in the 1/4" configuration the A on the left then the extra offset will be "hidden" by the B blade by meshing the teeth in one to the gullet in the other. Swapping the blades puts the extra 1/16th offset on the outsides and cuts 2 x 1/16th (=1/8") wider kerf.

Some dadoes (like my Freud SD306 and 308) use ATB teeth on the outside side of the blades to make clean crosscuts but this leaves a very slight groove on the outside edge of the grooves.

On this one The teeth are flat-top grind to give perfectly flat and square-corner kerf bottoms. The diameters and tooth widths carefully matched with tight tolerances to make smooth across-the-bottom cuts and perfect widths. Which is partially why the set of two blades is $100 list price.

I'd sure like to have a set for under $50 but there don't seem to be any around here.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-05-2010, 01:27 AM. Reason: explanation of how it works
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

The Freud set has two blades with wide offset teeth. Facing them together in one direction produces 1/4" cuts and face them on the other sides will do 3/8" cuts. They produce absolutely flat bottomed cuts like a higher end dado stack should.
                      Erik

Comment

• smckinney
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2010
                        • Craftsman 21829

The Sears store in Everett, WA had four or five of these left yesterday afternoon. I hope this helps.

Scott

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks Loring and Erik for answering my question about the difference between a dado set and this set.
                          Richard

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

I bought a set off FleaBay a year or so ago. Only used it a couple of times, but it is great.

I have an odd sized picture frame that my oldest made for my youngest as a wedding gift. I remaking it to hold a 16x20 and am going to use the box joint blades to recut the splines. A single blade may be wide enough. If not I will go with the 1/4 set up. Should get a nice kerf with it/them.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• Les
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jul 2003
                              • Portland, OR area
                              • BT3000

What about using a router?

I'm in southern WA and haven't had any luck finding these blades. So I have been trying to console myself with the thought that I can just use my router for making box joints. For those who have done it both ways, is there much of a difference?

P.S. Found a Craftsman set of molding triple cutter heads for $30 (model #93217) -- is that a good deal? Could they be used with the BT3000?

Comment

Working...