• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

$203 Delta JT360 6" Jointer/stand (46" bed) clearance at Lowes

This bargain was reported in this recent post by phrog - Sorry for the repost, but I wanted to title to reflect the new lower price because it really is a steal at this new price. phrog, berickso et al get the credit for finding this deal, of course -- I just took advantage of it.

Lowes item #60009. There's a receipt posted on the other thread. I'll post another receipt if anyone needs it. The yellow tag shows it as on clearance for $313, marked down from $369 -- but it rings up at $202.95 -- that's about $1 per pound. Same jointer on Amazon.com is over $415 so it really is steal at $203.

46" bed, open stand, 3/4 hp motor, ~5" fence +-45 degrees, quite heavy (>200 lbs), ~2 hours to assemble, works GREAT!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

might as well post the receipt if possible, it might prove to be helpfull to those who want to get one.

Comment

• just started
      • Mar 2008
      • suburban Philly

Looks like you have to go into each store to see if they have any, I have looked on line at about 40 different stores, including those mentioned in these threads, and I get 'can't find' everywhere.

Comment

• kevincan
        Established Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Central Illinois
        • Craftsman 21829

I was at the Lowes in Champaign IL today and they had one on the floor for $202 and change. If I did not have a jointer already I would have bought it.

Kevin

Comment

• berickso
          Handtools only
          • Aug 2007

Ignore what the website says about availability. Once an item goes non-stock, the website will immediately start saying it's not available.

Call your local Lowes, give them the item number 60009, and if they say they have none, ask if any other stores in the district have them in stock.

Good luck!

Brian

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Alex Franke
            This bargain was reported in this recent post by phrog - Sorry for the repost, but I wanted to title to reflect the new lower price because it really is a steal at this new price. phrog, berickso et al get the credit for finding this deal, of course -- I just took advantage of it.

Lowes item #60009. There's a receipt posted on the other thread. I'll post another receipt if anyone needs it. The yellow tag shows it as on clearance for $313, marked down from $369 -- but it rings up at $202.95 -- that's about $1 per pound. Same jointer on Amazon.com is over $415 so it really is steal at $203.

46" bed, open stand, 3/4 hp motor, ~5" fence +-45 degrees, quite heavy (>200 lbs), ~2 hours to assemble, works GREAT!
            Hey Alex,
            Don't apologize for the repost; I'm glad that you did repost since the price you're quoting is more reflective of what most people are finding. Unfortunately, at the nearest Lowes to me, it is still showing over $300. Hopefully it will ring up at $202 like it did for you if anyone is interested. It's a steal at the price you found and I hope you enjoy using it - looks like a really good machine.
            Richard
            Last edited by phrog; 05-11-2008, 02:34 PM. Reason: Unclear Statement
            Richard

Comment

• Micham59
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2006
              • N.E. Ohio
              • bt3100

jt360 bargain alert

I want to thank phrog for the heads up on the delta jt360 at lowes. I have been looking for a deal on a jointer for a month or so. I found a used one ebay for a starting bid of 175.00. I put a max bid for 210.00 then I saw phrog's alert. Well the auction ended around midnight est. last night. I got outbid because I am not staying up until 12:00 to bid. This morning I went to lowes in Niles Ohio and the one on the floor was priced at 369.95, so I took the number to the register to see what it rang up at. The girl said 202.95. I asked her how many they had and she said three. Well if you go there now they only have two. I am very happy I got outbid now I have a new one instead of a used one. Thanks again phrog

Comment

• Navycraig
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2006

I'm on high alert and have to call the store back in a half hour to see if they actually have it. This would be SWEET.

Question though. Can a "joiner" of this typed also be used for planing of stock up to the size the tool is rated for?

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Navycraig
                  Question though. Can a "joiner" of this typed also be used for planing of stock up to the size the tool is rated for?
                  Yes -- it's perfect for planing up to 6" wide stock -- then adding a perfect 90-degree edge to it.

You'd use it to flatten one face and create one 90 degree edge. Then you'd use a thickness planer to make the other face perfectly parallel, and then a table saw to get the other edge. (Some people use a table saw to trim the other edge 1/8 wide, then finish it up to the correct width on the jointer.

BTW, don't forget to pick up some Johnson's paste wax for the surface (or some other surface treatment) if you don't already have some.
                  Last edited by Alex Franke; 05-12-2008, 01:31 PM.
                  online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                  while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                  "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Adding to what Alex wrote ... while this tool is known to some as a "jointer/planer," the two jobs it really does are edge jointing and face jointing -- i.e., two variations of the same thing, but involving different parts of the board. When talking about the wider faces of a board, "planing" is not incorrect, but "face jointing" invokes the better mental image.

A jointer flattens the surfaces of a board, but cannot make the opposing surfaces parallel. A thickness planer makes the opposing surfaces of a board parallel, but the board will not necessarily be flat. This is why you really need both tools.
                    Larry

Comment

• MBG
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Chicago, Illinois.
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Navycraig
                      I'm on high alert and have to call the store back in a half hour to see if they actually have it. This would be SWEET.

I have a 6" jointer and have face joined boards as wide as 9". You pass the board through both ways with a slight overlap. Not something you do every day but useful when needed.

From my short, maybe 3 year, experience with a jointer and working with rough sawn lumber I find you get the most out of the lumber by breaking it down into thinner strips. For example, if you have a 1/4" cup in a 12" wide board, if you cut it in half you half the amount of warpage.

Good luck finding one!

Mike

Comment

• Navycraig
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2006

Well, after much debate with a store employee, I got it for the $202.95. I have to drive an hour (and take my wife to dinner and ice cream) to get it, but I'm stoked.
                        They told me $313.00 at first and stated that they did not have to match another Lowe's sale price...that it was up to each individual store. After telling them about my 15 minute hold, being hung up on and a few other things...they agreed.

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                          You'd use it to flatten one face and create one 90 degree edge. Then you'd use a thickness planer to make the other face perfectly parallel, and then a table saw to get the other edge. (Some people use a table saw to trim the other edge 1/8 wide, then finish it up to the correct width on the jointer.
                          You can also do this on a TP i.e plane boards on end. You need to make sure they are not to tall, generally I use a 1 to 4 or 5 ratio. You can also gang boards together with a clamp (make sure it will clear the sides of the planer). I did this only yesterday with 6 3/4 pine boards (3' long).

I jointed the edges of 2 boards. Sandwiched the other 4 between them a fraction higher and making sure the 2 jointed end boards were level. I then ran it through the planer and effectively jointed the other edge of all 6 boards at the same time. I then flipped it over and ran it through again to get to final width.
                          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                          techzibits.com

Comment

• smokeaterc
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2007
                            • Stone Ridge, NY
                            • Sears 21829

Picked up mine today !

Thanks for posting the clearance price. I stopped at the Lowes in Highland, NY on the way home from work today and they had the clearance price posted on the floor model $202.95. They had one available (not including the floor model) which they loaded into my SUV. Can't wait to give it a try.

Comment

• DLyon
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2006

Picked mine up today, $196.09 out the door. (Denver, CO)

The Greenwood Village store is supposed to have 1 more and the Grand Junction store shows 2 in stock.

I used a 10% off coupon in conjunction with the sale price. It's unloaded into the garage, but that's as far as I got this evening.

Comment

Working...