• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevincan
    Established Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Central Illinois
    • Craftsman 21829

I got mine set up last night. There was no damage from shipping - I can see what every has been talking about, there is not much padding on the bottom of the box.

Has anyone hooked this up to a DC. It has a strange size port on it. I tried a 2 1/2" and a 2 1/4" adapter but neither one will work. I know it has a dust bag but I am sure that my DC has better filters.

Kevin

Comment

• thallikar
      Established Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by kevincan
      Has anyone hooked this up to a DC. It has a strange size port on it. I tried a 2 1/2" and a 2 1/4" adapter but neither one will work.
      Kevin
      That port is the same I have on the Hitachi 12" miter saw - 12FCH model. I hate that. I have broken 3 adapters trying to fit around that port. It is so annoying.

Comment

• Cheeky
        • Nov 2006
        • westchester cty, new york
        • Ridgid TS2400LS

it's a gold box special now. not a great discount but it's $7 and change off, at $122.55

call and get your refund! that's worth a couple gallons of gas

scroll down, send them the link in your email or call

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=xs_gb_dtl_rtn_1_hi
        Pete

Comment

• thallikar
          Established Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Cheeky
          it's a gold box special now. not a great discount but it's $7 and change off, at $122.55

call and get your refund! that's worth a couple gallons of gas

scroll down, send them the link in your email or call

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=xs_gb_dtl_rtn_1_hi
          Only in your goldbox. Not in mine. The goldbox is personalized. Everyone sees their own goldbox. Mine does not have the item.

Comment

• Cheeky
            • Nov 2006
            • westchester cty, new york
            • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by thallikar
            Only in your goldbox. Not in mine. The goldbox is personalized. Everyone sees their own goldbox. Mine does not have the item.
            didn't know that, thanks
            Pete

Comment

• gatordogs2
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2007
              • So.Florida
              • 22114 soon

Where to you find your own gold box? I see a general Gold Box for "Today's Deal" (crappy DVD) but not one geared towards me.
              What if there is no tomorrow?....there wasn't one today!

-Barry

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Scroll farther down the page where the crappy DVD is and your Gold Box deals are there. The sander wasn't on my Gold Box page either but the Hitachi 12" CMS was.

Comment

• jtrcy
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2005

So for those of you that recieved yours already - have you noticed that it's kindof loud and has a lot of vibration?

I recieved mine today, and maybe it's just wishful thinking, but it seems like there's too much vibration - like maybe there's some belt slappin going on.

I've adjusted the drive belt adjust bolt but I'm gonna have to open up the bottom to make sure it's where it ought to be adjustment wise.

I'm tempted to buy one at Lowes and compare and return the less noisy of the pair.

Lest anyone have a problem with me doing that to Lowes - Me and Lowes are not happy together right now cause they've black-balled me from returning anything without a receipt.

(I'm a licensed contractor and probably spent $25,000.00 last year - when you do that you sometimes need to return things without receipts...)

So what do you all think about the noise/vibration of your sander units?

Thanks,

Julian

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

[QUOTE=kevincan

Has anyone hooked this up to a DC. It has a strange size port on it. I tried a 2 1/2" and a 2 1/4" adapter but neither one will work. I know it has a dust bag but I am sure that my DC has better filters.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Evening Kevin and Thallikar...

Purchase a step connector at Lowe's for $9 that is usually kept with the Shop Vac accessories. The large end fits over the Hitachi port. Duct tape it if necessary. Cut the connection with a razor knife at the end of step II. Wrap a piece of duct tape one turn (may be two as that was months ago) around the 2nd step and if you have Shop Vac.. the end of the hose mates perfectly to the point you just slide it on and slide it off. No need to secure it at that point!
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2007, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

[QUOTE=jtrcy;307563]... but it seems like there's too much vibration - like maybe there's some belt slappin going on.

I've adjusted the drive belt adjust bolt but I'm gonna have to open up the bottom to make sure it's where it ought to be adjustment wise.

Evening J T..

Shouldn't have any vibration and should not be all that noisy (I did lose about 30% hearing in VN). Bolt it down to a table top after checking to see if you might have a loose nut or bolt and see if it vibrates? If so.. I would return it to the source and ask for another.

I just ahaped 3 MDF templates for a bed on mine and there is no vibration. Not now or the day I bolted it to my mobile station....

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Most of the noise I noted came from where the belt arm sits down on the adjustment bolt that keeps it level to the rest of the machine. It's metal on metal there. All I did was put a self-stick felt dot on the bolt head, and then readjust to take away the added height.

Comment

• sweensdv
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • WI
                          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Mine has a little vibration at start-up and shut-down. Once it gets up to speed though it runs smoothly. I'll have to check the drive belt out and see if it needs a little tweaking.

EDIT: I just went and adjusted the belt tension and that took care of the vibration. Unit runs as smooth as a Swiss watch now.
                          Last edited by sweensdv; 11-10-2007, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Holland, Michigan
                            • Craftsman 21829

Just got mine. Don't notice any undue noise or vibration. Not as smooth as a "swiss watch", but as smooth as a normal bench machine. I did try lifting the belt section off of its stop bolt some and it does reduce the noise level a bit (some metal on metal ringing that I didn't notice until I lifted it up), so I may add a felt pad of my own.

Overall I am deliriously happy. I HATE sanding, so hopefully this will make it more palatable.
                            Doug Kerfoot
                            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• ryan.s
                              • Feb 2006
                              • So Cal
                              • Ridgid TS3650

How does the hitachi compare to the ryobi belt/disc sander which seems to get good reviews? Anyone have experience with both? BTW looks like Amazon got in a few more, they are available again at the $79 price.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2005
                                • Independence, MO, USA.
                                • bt3100

Originally posted by ryan.s
                                How does the hitachi compare to the ryobi belt/disc sander which seems to get good reviews? Anyone have experience with both? BTW looks like Amazon got in a few more, they are available again at the $79 price.

The first post in this thread mentions that this IS in the review section. The reviewer did have the Ryobi, which was dying and this replaced.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=31397

Really debating about this now, since I just got my property tax bill in the mail. It is that time of year again!
                                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...