This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by thrytis
    I just checked out mine. The table seems nice and heavy, but the miter gauge seems to be a bit of a joke!
    Evening Thrytis...
    If ya want a premium miter gauge to go with your belt-disc... ya gotta get one of those $400 + Jets, etc. ha.. ha...

Be thankful you get a cast iron table with this thing at the price you paid and for the time being.. just enjoy.

Regards...

Comment

• tedkitch
      • Jul 2006
      • NE Suburbs, Chicago
      • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

I got mine yesterday and set it up. All of the stops were of, but after getting the table set to both 0 and 45 degrees and the belt sander setup properly to 0 and 90 degrees, I ran it for about an hour and man I like it. This is the first Hitachi tool that I've ever purchased and I like it. Seems to be a very good tool for the value.

Only negative that I have is that the belt was so poorly aligned from the factory that when I turned it one for the first time the blasted thing slid left and ate into the plastic shroud. Not too much of a blemish, but one nonetheless.
      Ted Kitch

Comment

• Cheeky
        • Nov 2006
        • westchester cty, new york
        • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by tedkitch
        I got mine yesterday and set it up. All of the stops were of, but after getting the table set to both 0 and 45 degrees and the belt sander setup properly to 0 and 90 degrees, I ran it for about an hour and man I like it. This is the first Hitachi tool that I've ever purchased and I like it. Seems to be a very good tool for the value.

Only negative that I have is that the belt was so poorly aligned from the factory that when I turned it one for the first time the blasted thing slid left and ate into the plastic shroud. Not too much of a blemish, but one nonetheless.
        contact hitachi. they have a great 5 year waranty.
        Pete

Comment

• Weverst
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2003
          • West Babylon, NY, USA.
          • BT 3000

Got mine yesterday.
          Opened box to check for concealed damage. (UPS delivered it and had a few corners that had accordianed.)
          No visible damage.
          Looking forward to using this!

Comment

• thrytis
            • May 2004
            • Concord, NC, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
            Evening Thrytis...
            If ya want a premium miter gauge to go with your belt-disc... ya gotta get one of those $400 + Jets, etc. ha.. ha...

Be thankful you get a cast iron table with this thing at the price you paid and for the time being.. just enjoy.

Regards...
            I wasn't expecting a premium miter gauge, but i was hoping something a step up from a hollow ABS plastic gauge, and i doubt after market gauges are available. I think a solid table is more important though, and this looks like a step up from any sanders that you can get for $80. I think i'll be happy with this purchase since i wasn't going to be spending $400 on one.
            Eric

Comment

• kajendo
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2007
              • Hope, British Columbia
              • Craftsman 10" 27413 Ryobi SMT

Can anyone tell me if the disc sander is nade in U.S.A. It may be duty free to Canada if it is.
              Jim

Comment

• thrytis
                • May 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by kajendo
                Can anyone tell me if the disc sander is nade in U.S.A. It may be duty free to Canada if it is.
                Jim
                Made in China.
                Eric

Comment

• kajendo
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Hope, British Columbia
                  • Craftsman 10" 27413 Ryobi SMT

Thanks Eric.
                  Jim

Comment

• jtrcy
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by kajendo
                    Can anyone tell me if the disc sander is nade in U.S.A. \Jim
                    Yea, right! I caqn't figure out if you were actually serious? Made in USA, cheap Hitachi sander?

Julian

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

Just ordered. Thanks!
                      Doug Kerfoot
                      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Mine showed up this morning. Seems to be a nice one for the money. Agree on the cheap-ass miter gauge. Seems to have good airflow from DC port, so that bag thingy might actually work for those who don't have a shopvac or DC. Also, mine didn't sit exactly flat and wobbled just slightly. Have sledgehammer, so I took care of that.

Comment

• Dale In Corona
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2005
                          • Corona, CA, USA.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                          ... Have sledgehammer, so I took care of that.

Ahh a man after my own heart!

Sledge hammers work equally well on PC's For that, I recommend the 10lb sledge with a long handle.

Dale

Comment

• sweensdv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • WI
                            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Mine arrived yesterday in perfect condition, well almost. One of the M8 1.25x20 allen head set screws that anchor the tables post to the sander was bent. Tru Value way over charged me for a replacement but I'm good to go now. FWW, there was absolutely no way that this screw could have been damaged during shipment. It had to have already been bent when it was assembled at the factory.
                            Last edited by sweensdv; 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by sweensdv
                              It had to have already been bent when it was assembled at the factory.
                              ... in China. I've so had it with Chinese products lately. We gotta get a handle on that crap (one that won't fall off...)

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by thrytis
                                I wasn't expecting a premium miter gauge, but i was hoping something a step up from a hollow ABS plastic gauge, and i doubt after market gauges are available. I think a solid table is more important though, and this looks like a step up from any sanders that you can get for $80. I think i'll be happy with this purchase since i wasn't going to be spending $400 on one.
                                Evening Thrytis...

What you would find if you went comparison shopping for other belt-disc in the under $150 price range is that all have "chincy" miter gauges. I have a Uni-saw that came with a "chincy" miter gauge considering the price. In fact most belt-disc in this price range have aluminum tables and none stay in place from my experience.

Cast iron is expensive... very expensive. So for the amount of use I find over the years that you will actually use a miter gauge on a 6 1/2" x 9" table, I'm happy to get the cast iron table that stays in place with weight on it.. fantastic dust control (both with a SV and supplied bag".. very quick and simple tracking.. quiet for the most part and plenty of power..

I almost purchased a large Jet, but after-thought told me I mainly needed the vertical belt as I use the disc sparingly. When I saw the Hitachi with cast iron table and it locked in pretty well, I knew that it was as much as I need for a belt disc as there are other ways to do things.

I paid the full $149 when it came out and I can say that for $149, I got my monies worth. I needed a belt-disc at the moment.. shopped a wide range of them up to $600 and this is what I chose. I don't regret it and would do it again!

Regards...

Comment

Working...