• Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Gentle Reminder.

Hi Guys and Gals.
    This post should not be here.

Lets abide by these guide lines and have fun.

Use this forum to post info about a great bargain you have found on any woodworking related item. Please be aware that posts in this forum will be deleted once they expire or if they are found to be unworthy. Please, no "gloats" unless it is a deal that others can get. The items posted should be new and/or refurbished merchandise, and must be available to more that just the posting individual. Also, sufficient information should be included that would allow an individual to find the item, preferably on the web or through a local store.
    Lee
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

Good point Lee. I apoligize for continuing to go off topic.

Unlike Lee's, here's a harsh reminder.

If you've benefited from the posts in Getting Started, Tool Talk, or any of the discussions for that matter, and especially the Bargain Alerts forum (and you know who you are) why not kick some back to BT3Central to cover the costs associated with running the site so you can be privy to future bargain alerts.

Hank posted the inital thread reminding us of the costs associated with running BT3Central.com here back on January 3. I would've thought with 7125 members (yeah, I know many are inactive) we would've blown right through the $3500 request. It's been six weeks and we're still just 3/4 of the way there. (yeah, I know it takes times for checks to clear)

Even if a mere fraction of the membership, say 1/20 (yes, just 5% ) donated the minimum patron amount of $10 the goal wouldv'e been passed in no time. And this doesn't include the 18432 lurkers that benefit from the bargains posted here. $10 is two packs of smokes, a case of piss beer or a 1/2 sheet of mdf. (Sorry, this is starting to sound like one of those beg for your money commercials but it is what it is.)

http://www.bt3central.com/showgroups.php

I know Sam doesn't want to make BT3 a pay site, but I say make "Bargain Alerts" a POT (Patron Only Thread). Looking through the thread, the bargains are posted by patrons for the most part anyway. This would enable patrons to get to Lowes for that PC Sander deal or to the BORG for the 50% Ridgid Belt sander deal or to BigLots for the clamp deals or the LIMITED HDT TOOL DEALS before every lurker that scores them just to Ebay them.

I vote YES on Article 021506BT3: "Make Bargain Alerts a 'Perk' available to Patrons only"

If that doesn't fly, what about (and I don't know if this can be set) only available to members with 100 posts?

Ok. Rant off. Sorry.

Have a great day
    Greg

EDIT:

I just checked. There are 22 viewers of this thread right now - and that doesn't include those in stealth mode.

Of the 22, only 3 have contributed to keep the site running. Multiply this throughout the day and you know why the deals are gone by the time you get there.
    Last edited by Stormbringer; 02-15-2007, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Stormbringer

I know Sam doesn't want to make BT3 a pay site, but I say make "Bargain Alerts" a POT (Patron Only Thread). Looking through the thread, the bargains are posted by patrons for the most part anyway. This would enable patrons to get to Lowes for that PC Sander deal or to the BORG for the 50% Ridgid Belt sander deal or to BigLots for the clamp deals before every lurker that scores them just to Ebay them.

I vote YES on Article 021506BT3: "Make Bargain Alerts a 'Perk' available to Patrons only"

If that doesn't fly, what about (and I don't know if this can be set) only available to members with 100 posts?

Ok. Rant off. Sorry.

Have a great day
      Greg
      i'd vote for that
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I know Sam doesn't want to make BT3 a pay site, but I say make "Bargain Alerts" a POT (Patron Only Thread).
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Brilliant!.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	780428

I mean, seriously. That's a good idea, Greg. That's a very good idea.

Two possible issues, though: will the software allow it; and even if it will, how much work will it be for the folks behind the scenes?
        Larry

Comment

• Sam Conder
          Woodworker Once More
          • Dec 2002
          • Midway, KY
          • Delta 36-725T2

It's not just my site but... Remember, a "founding principal" of BT3Central was the free transmittal of information and ideas. There is just something about limiting the information contained herein that rubs me the wrong way. I don't mind making certain "perks" (add-ons) a benefit of contributing, but I don't know about withholding part of the community.

I'll cogitate and watch the discussion closely...

As a side note, I can restrict access to any "forum" in just a few mouse clicks. It would take less than 2 minutes.
          Sam Conder
          BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• wdreamsmaycome
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2007
            • Vancouver, Canada
            • bt3100 (of course!)

well, there is plenty of information in all sorts of forums on this site, however the 'bargain alerts' does seem like something so time-limited and economically beneficial that IMHO it'd make a lot of sense to make this patron-only.

Comment

• AAJIII
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • WANAQUE, NJ, USA.
              • Steel City 10" table saw

A Kick In The Butt Reminder

Greg has a good point, and yes some of us, me included need something more than a gentle nudge.

I always have good intentions but somehow just never make the time(by the way it took me only aobut three minutes) to make the donation to this great site.

So every one who has not donated, click on the link above and show all of these people who give their time and resourses to this, THE BEST FORUM ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!.

al
              AL JEWELL

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

As much as I agree with Sam's concerns, it is obvious that Bargin Alerts usually shows being the busiest.
                And, it's also obvious that deals posted for members are utilized for profit by, IMO, a not-so-small number of forum visitors, and members too, I am sure.
                The Bargin Alerts section is mentioned often on numerous other forums as a place to go check for deals.

Despite having the same concerns as Sam, but due to obvious 'misuse' (not the word I'm looking for) of the BA section, I think Greg's suggestion has enough merit to be seriously considered.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Floral Park, NY
                  • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by wdreamsmaycome
                  well, there is plenty of information in all sorts of forums on this site,
                  Exactly! The wealth of information provided there should prove much more valuable than a discount on tools for those whose intentions are legit.

Sam, your a good guy, and your intentions are well respected but look at the diservice being done to those that support the site by not being able to score deals that other patrons have posted.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I'm not making these suggestions because I'm a disgruntled member who missed out on the good deals. I've actually been one of the lucky one's who've been able to score the deals I wanted pretty successfully. I just feel that those that those that benefit should return the favor, however large or small. You know, one hand washes the other?
                  Last edited by Stormbringer; 02-16-2007, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Sam Conder
                    Woodworker Once More
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Midway, KY
                    • Delta 36-725T2

...but look at the diservice being done to those that support the site by not being able to score deals that other patrons have posted.
                    That is a compelling point, and you are not the first to mention that. It's amazing the "firestorm" of PM's to me this thread has caused.

I am glad this discussion is on. Keep it coming...
                    Sam Conder

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Sam Conder
                      Woodworker Once More
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Midway, KY
                      • Delta 36-725T2

A question that just popped into my head...

Will "locking down" the BA forum reduce the number of bargains posted? Will it cause some good deals to be missed because someone wouldn't want to pay to post something they found?
                      Sam Conder

Comment

• Stormbringer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Floral Park, NY
                        • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by Sam Conder
                        That is a compelling point, and you are not the first to mention that. It's amazing the "firestorm" of PM's to me this thread has caused.
                        From those for or against? Hmmm...Since you've clearly indicated you'll be following the thread, why wouldn't they post here instead?

Comment

• Stormbringer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Floral Park, NY
                          • Bosch 4000

Will "locking down" the BA forum reduce the number of bargains posted? Will it cause some good deals to be missed because someone wouldn't want to pay to post something they found?
                          Sam,

JeffreyShronce is a patron. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Liberty, SC, USA.
                            • Ridgid TS3650

Probably somewhat, but it would also help seperate the chaff from the wheat. I see quite a few posts that aren't available to everyone, ie, local deals, Craigslist, etc.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Liberty, SC, USA.
                              • Ridgid TS3650

Sam,

JeffreyShronce is a patron. I don't think there's anything to worry about.
                              Greg, someone has definitely pee'd in your Post Toasties today!! ;-D

Comment

Working...