Delta JT360 Jointer $300 delivered

seems like a good deal
    Pete
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Man that is one heck of a price. Wonder if they are any good like compared to the Ridgid?
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Richard
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Cheeky
      Check HD and Lowes websites.

Comment

• Lowell
        • Jul 2003
        • Chula Vista, CA, USA.
        • Ryobi 10” Precision Woodcutting System, Model BT3100

Originally posted by lcm1947
        Man that is one heck of a price. Wonder if they are any good like compared to the Ridgid?
        The Delta ShopMaster 6" Deluxe Jointer Model JT360 (formerly Model 37-190) is a somewhat less capable machine than the RIDGID JP0610, in my opinion. The most notable differences between these jointers are their motors and fences. The JT360 has a 3/4 HP motor, the RIDGID a 1 HP motor. The JT360 fence is a post-mounted lightweight, the RIDGID a hefty casting-mounted fence. If I recall correctly the fence on the JT360 isn't designed to be skewed for face-jointing burl woods at an angle. The fence on the RIDGID jointer can be skewed. Also, the JT360 warranty is two years vice three years for the RIDGID.

The Delta product most comparable to the RIDGID JP0610 is the Delta X5 37-275X 6" Professional Jointer (formerly Model 37-195) the price of which is typically $100 to $150 more than the RIDGID. Both machines have 1 HP motors. The rack-and-pinion mechanism of the 37-275X allows for precise adjustment of the fence across the bed, though I question whether such precision is needed. I don't recall if the 37-275X fence can be skewed. The 37-275X has nice closed stand vice the open stand of the RIDGID. The 37-275X has a five-year warranty vice three years for the RIDGID.

The Winter 2002 edition of the Fine Woodworking Annual Tools & Shops included a review of eleven 6" jointers. The RIDGID JP0610 was ranked number two, ahead of both the Delta 37-275X/37-195 and the Jet JJ-6CSDX. The top spot was awarded to the Powermatic 54A ($749).

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't doubt that the Ridgid and other jointers with closed bases and more powerful motors are in some ways better jointers but at $300 shipped compared to $349 plus tax (~375-380) the Delta JT360 entry level "Shopmaster series" jointer is a fair price, better if you can get an extra discount. I think it has enough power for typical face and edge jointing and the beds are comparably long and flat to compete in making long boards flat. The fence is able to be made square and so it is suited to the usual jointer tasks. The finish is probably no better or no worse for those "usual" jointer tasks.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-28-2006, 12:32 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• supper shaun
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2006

HD has the rigid for $319 until Dec 28

$120 to ship -- YIKES
            Last edited by supper shaun; 12-28-2006, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              I don't doubt that the Ridgid and other jointers with closed bases and more powerful motors are in some ways better jointers but at $300 shipped compared to $349 plus tax (~375-380) the Delta JT360 entry level "Shopmaster series" jointer is a fair price, better if you can get an extra discount. I think it has enough power for typical face and edge jointing and the beds are comparably long and flat to compete in making long boards flat. The fence is able to be made square and so it is suited to the usual jointer tasks. The finish is probably no better or no worse for those "usual" jointer tasks.
              I think Loring hit it on the head....the JT360 may not be the most robust or feature laden jointer, but should be functional and up to the task at hand at a good price without signicant liabilities.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Benbrook, TX.
                • Emerson-built Craftsman

Yep, I'd say that's a heck of a deal for just about any decent, 6" jointer.

FYI, I've had the Ridgid for over 2 years now and didn't even know about skewing the fence. Guess its a nice feature, if you like working highly-figured woods.

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

I am really really thinking about this deal. I just wonder if the 3/4 HP motor would really be sufficient? I can't imagine me ever wanting to do anything other then simple edge and face jointing but actually didn't know that a jointer was good for anything else anyway or at least I think that's what was mentioned above.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by lcm1947
                    I am really really thinking about this deal. I just wonder if the 3/4 HP motor would really be sufficient? I can't imagine me ever wanting to do anything other then simple edge and face jointing but actually didn't know that a jointer was good for anything else anyway or at least I think that's what was mentioned above.
                    I can't say from hands on experience, but I've never read a complaint about lack of power on this jointer...in fact, whenever I point out the 3/4hp motor in comparison discussions, most owners comment that it has plenty of power....
                    not that more would hurt, but it may not be an issue.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't feel that the JT360 is power-limited. I'd be a bit scared to take of more than an 1/8th inch on a pass on general principal, usually I like to take off less than a 1/16th. Plenty of power for either.

I tend to think of the jointer as sort of a one-trick (ok, maybe two tricks- face planing and edge jointing) pony. Apart from Size 8" vs 6", and adequate bed length and stiffness, there's not a whole lot more versatility you can ascribe to needing. I never heard of this fence skewing need before...
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-29-2006, 03:00 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lcm1947
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Austin, Texas
                        • BT 3100-1

Thanks guys. I feel reassured about the 3/4 HP motor. I just may very well buy this jointer. It sure looks like it would be fine for me not to mention my pocket book.

Comment

• mpauly
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • NJ

$332 now.....people must be ordering them.

Comment

• lcm1947
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Austin, Texas
                            • BT 3100-1

RATS! Now I'm thinking Ridgid for just $70.00 more at HD.

Comment

• Cheeky
                              • Nov 2006
                              • westchester cty, new york
                              • Ridgid TS2400LS

Mac,

You can get the Ridgid for $287.28 before tax. Get the HD to price match hd.com's price ($319.20, that's the sale price at my local HD too) and use a 10% coupon (i have a copy of Lowes version if you need one).
                              Pete

Comment

Working...