• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

HF 2HP DC Bargain Alert - $120

The latest issue of Am. WWer (#122) has an ad on the inside cover for the HF 2hp DC for $149.99. There's also an HF 20% coupon in effect through 5/20. If your local store will allow the coupon and the sale price, you can get the DC for ~ $120.

I don't personally own this DC, but alot of people seem to thing it's well worth that price. Good luck!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

It is definitely worth that price! If I were still among the 47% of us using a shopvac I'd be all over this.

JR
    JR

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I got mine cheap several years ago, but not that cheap. It is well worth the money. Bill
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Cain
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2004
        • Little Rock, Arkansas.

I'm actually in the process of making the decision to get a shop vac or go all out with a DC. At $129, I'd definitely get the DC.

I went to the HF website and the sale price there is $179. For starters, I guess I'd need a copy of this magazine to get the $149 price. Can anyone out there scan the ad and email it to me or post it?

Also, I saw the post regarding the different types of dust control. The post mentions a couple of different bag upgrades to this DC. How much are these upgrades?

Of course, if I got the DC then I'd need to rig up some piping in the shop. Can you get relatively inexpensive valves for the 4" piping?

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

I think I paid like $30 for my custom made 1 micron shaker felt top bag. If you have head room, Process Systems will custom make a top bag which is 20" at the bottom (where it connects to the DC) bell shapes out to 24" and you can get 48" tall. They will also put belt loops on the bag. This size allows for a plastic bag to be put on the bottom for easy disposal, as well as allowing enough surface area to allow maximum CFM of the 2HP DC.
          I used 4" S&D pipe which was like $8 per 20ft. This is like PVC just thinner and lower quality which is not a problem since there will be no real stress on the pipe. Elbows are a couple bucks per each.
          You will need something to connect the S&D to the DC, I used 4" hose.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Cain
            Of course, if I got the DC then I'd need to rig up some piping in the shop. Can you get relatively inexpensive valves for the 4" piping?
            This part of the problem has no absolute answers. HF used to have a $40 accessory kit that was an awesome collection of blast gates (the proper term for DC valves), ports, hoses, etc. If anyone has a suggested replacement for this kit, chime in here.

IIRC the HF DC has one length 10' flex hose in the box. You'll probably want to get a 4" to 2-1/4" reducer to hook up to your BT or other tools with that size port. Do not get the 4" to 2-1/2" adapter because it is exactly the same size as the port on the BT and therefore won't slip in properly. They're available at Rockler and Woodcraft as well as other suppliers.

I wouldn't wait to make this purchase until you've got the whole thing figgered out, or you'll never make the purchase. It helps to get the DC in the shop first and get used to using it. Then you can determine where it will go, how to plumb it, etc. Identifying the connectors, elbows, wyes, reducers, etc. at the price you can live with is a mind-numbing experience.

Good luck,
            JR
            JR

Comment

• messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

Used to be a company called Wholesale tools that had a lot of the stuff you need. You might want to see if you can find them.
              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by JR
                IIRC the HF DC has one length 10' flex hose in the box.
                Nope, no hose comes with the unit. Also expect to have to get creative in assembling the unit. I got fed up and built a base for mine as all the holes in the provided base were too small for the hardware that wasn't included in the box.

Still a nice unit for the money.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

The instructions are bad, as is the Chinese/English translation. There are a few words in there where you will be like "What the heck are they talking about?" and you will figure out what the item is supposed to be.

Comment

• wassaw998
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Jeffrey - is the seller of the bags you used the same as this one on EBAY ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-Micron-Dust-...QQcmdZViewItem
                    Chris

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

The unfortunate part of the dilemma DC vs Shopvac is that DC is a lot better than a shopvac for dust control but it does not replace a shopvac for workshop cleanup. If you think that you can buy a DC instead of a shopvac - think again. Shopvac is one of the most essential tools whether you have a DC or not. You will be able to get away with smaller shopvac if you have a DC. I would still advise getting a DC because it is a lot better than shopvac at collecting dust if you have either powerfull equipment or equipment that needs dust collection from more than one point at a time. For me - BT3100 with shark guard and router table are such equipment. My shopvac is a contractor model 10.5 gallons on big wheels. It would have been too small without a DC. It does not get connected to machines but it gets used a lot to clean the shop and it travels around the shop a lot.
                      Alex V

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by wassaw998
                        Jeffrey - is the seller of the bags you used the same as this one on EBAY ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-Micron-Dust-...QQcmdZViewItem
                        Yes.
                        Call Mark (I believe the owner was Mark). Be sure to let him know that you heard about this from a guy on the forum. I talked to him for quite a while and told him there was a large need for his product and he may want to advertise on some of the forums.
                        1-800-480-4886
                        Process Systems & Componets Inc
                        Mount Holly, NJ
                        Check out the thread on woodnet :
                        http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by vaking
                          The unfortunate part of the dilemma DC vs Shopvac is that DC is a lot better than a shopvac for dust control but it does not replace a shopvac for workshop cleanup. If you think that you can buy a DC instead of a shopvac - think again. Shopvac is one of the most essential tools whether you have a DC or not. You will be able to get away with smaller shopvac if you have a DC. I would still advise getting a DC because it is a lot better than shopvac at collecting dust if you have either powerfull equipment or equipment that needs dust collection from more than one point at a time. For me - BT3100 with shark guard and router table are such equipment. My shopvac is a contractor model 10.5 gallons on big wheels. It would have been too small without a DC. It does not get connected to machines but it gets used a lot to clean the shop and it travels around the shop a lot.
                          For the confines of the shop, a broom and duster work fine when used in conjunction with a floor sweep connected to the DC. I wouldn't say you have to have a shop vac.
                          A shop vac is very handy for other jobs though and when HD and Lowes have some sales on their vacs some killer deals can be had.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Floral Park, NY
                            • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by Dustmight
                            The latest issue of Am. WWer (#122) has an ad on the inside cover for the HF 2hp DC for $149.99.

Dust,

Does the ad say how long the sale price is good for?

Thanks,
                            Greg

Comment

• Tarheel
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • N. Carolina

The add in the magazine (American Woodworker) says that the price ($149.99) is good until January, 2007. Used the ad and a HF 20% off coupon this morning and picked up the 2HP HF unit for $119.00 + tax.

Got it home and all set up/assembled in a lazy 2 hours. (Have to plumb it to my gear yet and order some better bags.

All in all, a darn good deal, I would say!

Wayne

Comment

Working...