• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Discharging Peanuts...

We buy salsa from a place in Texas and they take great pains to ship the product so the glass jars survive the shipping process. The jars are packed in a box with partitions separating the jars. That box is packed in a much larger doubled box with styrofoam peanuts surrounding the inner box on all sides. My struggle with this method is dealing with the peanuts while emptying them into a trash can for disposal. The darn things build up a static charge and cling to EVERYTHING in the vicinity and are real fiddle to gather up for disposal. They will stick to your hands like glue. So, are there any methods to kill the static charge so these little monsters can be easily dealt with?
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Would a squirt of Static Cling help? or throwing a couple of used dryer softener sheets in the box before pouring them into the trash can; or wiping the inside of the trash can with those sheets before pouring them in.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black walnut
      Administrator
      • Aug 2015
      • BT3K

Spray them with hairspray.
      just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I used to have a antistatic gun I used to treat my LP records when playing them because sometimes after cleaning they built up a charge and this attracted dust in the air ant also could literally float the low mass tonearm off the record.
        I think it was made by Zerostat and had squeeze trigger to spray positive ions. I am almost sure it would work, I used to "spray" my clothes to reduce static with this thing.

I just looked, they are still for sale at places like Amazon and eBay but kinda pricey around $90 and up.

Wonder if just misting them with a water sprayer will work.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-17-2022, 01:24 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• OurJeeps
          OurJeeps commented
          Editing a comment
          LCHIEN - TY for the memories... I still have the antistatic gun, "Disc Preener," the LPs, and the college stereo system from the 1970's (and they all (still) work...)

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! Parastat Disc Preener!

• Jim Frye
          Jim Frye commented
          Editing a comment
          Next time, I'm going to try misting with "wet water". It's a trick from model railroading. Filtered water with a couple of drops of dishwashing soap. It acts as a surfactant and kills static too.
      • Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

We received another shipment of salsa from Texas today, so I tried the "wet water" treatment when I unpacked it. I sprayed the interior of a trash can lined with a plastic bag. I also lightly sprayed the top of the peanut layer in the shipping box. The styrofoam peanuts transferred to the plastic bag with no static sticking at all. After I had removed the upper layer of peanuts and pulled the box containing the jars of salsa, I gave the remaining peanuts a light spray. The remainder simply poured out into the bag in the trash can. Almost none sticking anywhere.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Just proud that you getting your Salsa from Texas and not New York City... https://youtu.be/DmhgtBA16aA
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Jim Frye commented
            Editing a comment
            Just thank New Canaan Farms for making such good stuff.
            Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-09-2023, 06:51 PM.
        • Dedpedal
          Established Member
          • Feb 2020
          • Palm Coast Florida
          • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I just leave them in the box and mail it to a random address.
          jk. I do just close the box and send it to the dump intact.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            Close them in the empty box and mark it refused-return to sender
            or better yet, set the resealed box back on your front porch for the porch pirates,

• leehljp
            leehljp commented
            Editing a comment
            You guys are something else! I don't remember if it was here or another forum but one person placed a refrigerator that still worked but old - they put it out on the street for anyone that wanted it. A week or so went by and no one took it. Then they put a sign on it that said: "For Sale: $100.00". Someone came during the night and took it without paying for it!

• Dedpedal
            Dedpedal commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife did that with a couch. It works!
        Working...