Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I wonder if different wood species would have different results being more or less effective for a given purpose. Black walnut for the flu, red oak for staph etc.
    Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

My wife makes me shake my clothes, brush them off or even vacuum them after coming in from the shop to eat. She says I don't want to eat sawdust.

From reading the article, sawdust is good for my health. So I now know she is trying to kill me,

Joke is on her, I cashed in the life insurance policy so I could buy more tools.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-22-2022, 04:04 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Finnegan
        Handtools only
        • Mar 2022

I keep plastic jars of sawdust (separated by species), so that, when I mess up, I can mix up some with white glue and use it as a filler. Don't use yellow wood glue - it dries much darker than the original wood.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Jim Frye commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw Elmer's clear glue in a store today. Was going to buy a small bottle to try mixing with sawdust to make filler, but they didn't have any thing less than quart bottles.
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Finnegan
        I keep plastic jars of sawdust (separated by species), so that, when I mess up, I can mix up some with white glue and use it as a filler. Don't use yellow wood glue - it dries much darker than the original wood.
        I tried that once. I was always running out of sawdust.

How is it that you the volume of sawdust is way less than the cuts you take them out of?

Just kidding. I didn't do any of this. The first sawdust I ever made is still on the floor, somewhere. Clean up? What's that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wash instructions.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	849176
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-13-2022, 04:14 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• furthermore
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2020
          • North Yarmouth, ME
          • Ryobi BT3K

Sawdust isn't waste, it's fuel for my compost pile! On an industrial scale, we've been pressing it into pellets for use as heating fuel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellet_fuel Several of my family members heat with pellets, they tend to enjoy it. We don't have a bulkhead to the basement, so it will be oil for us for the forseeable future

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            A bit more information on pressing sawdust into pellets please…. Are you saying you make your own pellets of purchase manufactured pellets?

• furthermore
            furthermore commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I certainly don't manufacture my own, you buy them in bags. Most people buy them by the ton if they're using them for whole house heat. My parents have an insert that goes into the fireplace so they use it to heat the downstairs of the house. My uncle has a pellet boiler and radiant heat, so he heats his whole home with pellets. If I'm remembering correctly, the pellet tech was invented at the University here to deal with the sawdust waste that the paper (and lumber) mills create
        Working...