• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Different kind of saw

I recieved a call from a friend alerting me that there was something I would be interested in happening on his property. I went to see, and there was! Have heard using a helicopter to cut tree limbs from a power transmission line right of way, but I had never seen it in person. I wish I could post the videos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5D39CDF0-021C-446D-B873-27CB445E5046.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	845807
    Attached Files
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I wish you could post the videos as well, but the vBulletin software doesn't support video streaming and they are adamant it never will . You could post the video to youtube or another streaming service and link to it from here.
    Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

We can upload videos as an attachment. We enabled common video formats a couple of years ago. I think AVI and MOV and MP4 work, at least.
      Readers will have to download the video and view it on their machine. But the size of the file is limited. I think its less than 5 MB? Good for maybe 15 seconds or so, I don't recall the exact numbers.
      Here's a video I uploaded for another post (1.5 MB, about 10 seconds):

Chrs, are we anywhere near to using our filespace allotment? Disk space is pretty cheap these days. Can we consider allowing larger attachments as uploads? I've had some videos that I thought would be useful but they were too long.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-29-2021, 11:21 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        We are using about 25% of our disk space and the site itself and attachments use about 5%. The other 20% are numerous database backups.

# The zipped database backup files kept online for daily, weekly, and
        # monthly extracts which are kept for 14, 60, and 300 days respectively.
        # Older files will be deleted.
    • twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

Those are the three that are enabled and up to 128MB can be uploaded. Note that the videos can't be viewed on the site. They need to be downloaded and viewed on a local machine.
      Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, OK, so we did up the allowable size, too. I remember that conversation now. Thanks for the quick reply.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-29-2021, 11:31 AM.
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
      I recieved a call from a friend alerting me that there was something I would be interested in happening on his property. I went to see, and there was! Have heard using a helicopter to cut tree limbs from a power transmission line right of way, but I had never seen it in person. I wish I could post the videos.

Carl, we can attach videos in MP4, AVI and MOV up to 128 MB (upload attachments)
      It won't display (be viewable) on this site, the user has to click on it to download it and then open and view on his own computer. It will be in your browser download folder along with PDFs and images.

Here's a link to a short video I uploaded for another post you can see how it works.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-29-2021, 11:33 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
        There have been several videos on YouTube, some from several years ago, that shows that. Search for "Helicopter tree trimmers"

Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t06LbvE3CI
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

James Bond doesn't like those very much.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

I think the one swinging wildly in the woods is more terrifying than the one chasing Bond
            Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The day before I took these photos the wind was gusting quite a bit and the copter was having a tough time. I know it was hard to tell distances but the copter looked a lot closer to the power wires than I thought safe…… if that is possible. The blades did have a nice ring to them when they were cutting larger branches. One of my pecan farmer friend said that they (larger growers, not him) use copters to trim older pecan trees to increase their output. He says the copter will spin a circle around each tree. Why is the pilot leaning out of the copter? To watch the saw, or is more comfortable?

Click image for larger version

Name:	67989DE4-A2E9-4172-BC58-74E780E12103.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	845837
              Last edited by capncarl; 10-30-2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I suspect he's slightly more than mildly interested in how close to the power lines he is getting.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...