Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yet another Poll - music in the shop

The 2007 poll https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...amenities-poll
    said that almost 25% of you... one in four... have some sort of radio or stereo in the shop.
    What are you listening to ?

Classical
    25.00%
    Classic Rock/
    43.75%
    HEavy MEtal
    12.50%
    Jazz
    18.75%
    Alternative
    18.75%
    Hip Hop/Rap
    6.25%
    Audio Books
    12.50%
    Talk Radio
    0%
    Country and Western
    18.75%
    Other
    37.50%
    Pop music
    31.25%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-22-2021, 05:37 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

None for me. LOML can't understand why I don't even listen to music (if I have a choice) when in the car.

I like a fairly wide variety of music, country & western, rock, pop, classical, some opera, reggae, gospel, choir, - but I like it in the silence of home without background noise.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• GrumpyDad
      Established Member
      • Jul 2020
      • Midwest
      • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Music must be inclusive without being intrusive. Any genre that can live within that wheelhouse is fair game.
      Harumpf!
      GrumpyDad

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Anybody using a Google Home or Alexa to play music in the shop?

From a music service (Pandora, spotify) or a radio station streaming on the internet (I heart radio) or Amazon music...

I've got it controlling lights, dust collector and vacuum. I think she's getting off too easily.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-22-2021, 11:17 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

A few years ago my niece bought me a set of work tunes Blue tooth hearing protection for Christmas. I also have a blue tooth speaker in the ceiling. One or the other of those plays music through my shop computer and my library has every genre you can think of although by preference is is light on Rap and Country. When playing on shuffle, going from Abba to Black Sabbath to Mel Torme can be a bit abrupt.

My favorite genres are 80's alternative (Devo, B-52's, Oingo Boingo, DK etc), 40's big band and inexplicably, ABBA.
          Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Unlike drinking in the shop, I almost always have music going when I'm in the shop or doing real work in the office. I've worked that way since getting my radio in 5th grade.

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

C&W on the Ryobi 18 volt FM radio I've had for decades. It's so old, it's blue and yellow, not hyper green.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Radio rarely and music on occasion. I don't play anything when I using power tools, but when I'm just doing something manually, I might play some of what I've previously recorded. I like a variety of music which I've recorded to MP3 or have a CD off. I'm a big fan of Celtic, Loreena McKennitt, Simon & Garfunkle, and a few others. That said, the best channel when I'm concentrating is silence.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

SIRIUS XM 50'S ON 5 OR 60'S ON 6

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas
                  => Bade's Personal Web Log
                  => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

I checked more than half the boxes. I have one of those small "Alexa" pucks in the shop that plays through a set of speakers built into the walls attached to a small BT connected amp unit. I play music depending on my mood or what I am working on. I also have 2 sets of those 3M ear defenders with built in radio. when I am working on the lathe I have a set of BT buds in under my helmet.

Some gal with 7 small friends once said something about "music while you work...."
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• mpc
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Cypress, CA, USA.
                      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Haha, I went back to that 2007 poll to see what I voted: an ancient stereo and ancient TV in the garage of my first house. What did I listen to? Sports - either football games or auto racing. Today: pretty much the same in the new shop. That TV is long gone; the stereo is stored and not used. Instead I depend on WiFi from the house feeding a laptop. The laptop's headphone jack is connected to one of those old computer CRT monitor stands that has an amp and speakers. Now it's a laptop support stand + amp and speakers. The only time I listen to music is in the car... rarely at home or in the shop. I have a HDHomerun Prime box which is a funky device that takes a standard CableCard (remember those?) and puts up to 3 cable TV channels into my home network. So any PC/laptop/tablet on my network can access cable TV channels for football and auto races even in the shop. again. Thus I voted "other" this time.

In the car: either classic rock, sometimes classic music, football or auto races if any are on. I miss XM's now-dead "Cinemagic" channel that played music from movies.

mpc

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I have two garages, both have a Homepod in them. Both start playing automatically when I run my "shop time" automation which also turns on lights, fans, etc, and opens the doors. My favorite choice of music is girl pop, the trashier the better. But I also really like the classic rock Apple station a lot. Good variety. I'll listen to pretty much anything except country.

The Homepods are really room-filling and sound great in the garage.

Comment

Working...