• LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

topics from the past of current interest. - Daylight savings time polls

Don't forget to change your clocks.

A couple of years back we polled these issues:

Daylight savings time change or not? https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...t-savings-poll
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DST Poll 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	843317

Since we decided we prefer no change, the next poll was for permanent DST or Standard time. https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...t-savings-poll

We thought we should go on permanent DST, no changes
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DST poll 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	843316

Reading on the topic, the biggest obstacle to eliminating semiannual clock changes is retail businesses who think they will miss the extra hour of evening shopping that extended daylight hours brings. We could make them happy by eliminating the time change and just going permanent DST.
    I would hope it is a US-wide federal law rather than a patchwork of states with change/no change and permanent ST or DST adding to confusion about what time it is where.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-14-2021, 01:53 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I did a statistically insignificant informal poll with 2 of my coworkers (10 years and 20 years my junior) and they don't see the need for the continued time flip flop.

Additionally as someone living in Central America (where there is no DST) but remote working back to the East coast, I'd love for the US to just stop using DST. At least Outlook makes all the adjustments for me, but when someone in a meeting says "Can we meet again next week at 10?" I also won't have to factor in DST. It's always going to be *this* many hours difference, not 1 for 6 months and 2 for the other.

I am also glad I won't have to struggle to get my kids to bed or wake them up in the morning because of the time change.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Given all of the issues we have in this country, I consider DST to be number 11 on a list of 10.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

With 10 being the most important?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jim Frye
          Given all of the issues we have in this country, I consider DST to be number 11 on a list of 10.
          But amongst all those problems its the most clear cut and easiest to fix.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

What makes this not an easy problem to solve, is that this is a state issue, and ensuring all 50 states get on the same wagon is not easy, particularly nowadays.

Would be really funny if a state (say, FL) chose keep to status-quo, and its is ahead/behind neighboring states in all direction for 6 months of the year.

Pedantically, sometimes I wonder at the science behind this - the principal of DST is really nothing else but saying - "we don't like the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) that the rest of the world follows - we want to be an hour ahead".
            Now if the rest of the world also wants to do the same, we'd be still on UTC, but with an offset of 1 hour.

If some countries do and others don't, we could see the practical end of UTC.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

Working...