• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Bad boy sitting on the fence

Big Chicken hawk probably he or his brethren responsible for the pile of Blue Jay feathers in the yard yesterday. Sitting on the backyard fence where he can look over the bird feeders. Might be a long winter for the song birds. Last time they took up residence they left bird parts - beaks,legs and feathers - all over the yard - my wife was not pleased.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300634cropenh.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	841178Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300637cropenh.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	841179
    Camera Olympus OM-D EM-10 mk ii 75-300 mm lens f6.7 @ 300 mm
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

.410 works well for chicken hawks.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Around here, we have Red Tailed Hawks and Rough Legged Hawks as the two big ones. They like to sit on the peaks of the roofs of the homes in our subdivision looking for prey.. Last spring one killed a very large rabbit right outside our kitchen window. It left some remains that I cleaned up, but the hawk came back the next day looking for left overs.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• GrumpyDad
        Established Member
        • Jul 2020
        • Midwest
        • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

The wife’s dog could be colored mousy brown with the right mix of dyes. Yes....yes...freedom
        Harumpf!
        GrumpyDad

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Loring,

That's a couple of very nice photos! May I ask what you used for a camera and lens and at what distance you were?

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
            Loring,

That's a couple of very nice photos! May I ask what you used for a camera and lens and at what distance you were?

CWS
            I use a Olympus OM-D EM-10 mk ii and the lens was the 75-300 mm f 5.6-6.7 Olympus zoom. It was at 300 mm and I cropped slightly.
            In the micro four thirds camera like Olympus it has a 2x crop factor so it was like a 600 mm shot on a full frame DLSR.
            Handheld, 1/200 sec, the camera has some IBS, the ISO was 1600
            Distance, maybe 50 feet? He was checking me out in the first picture.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cwsmith
              cwsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Loring,

Very nice photo. I have a Canon 80D which has a crop factor of 1.6. Not much activity of that nature here in the city, but we do have a few squirrels and a few birds. Right after I got the camera I attempted to photograph a Jay with my 55-250 zoom at full zoom (which would be 400mm), but it my focus was off and it took flight. Disappointing.

That's why I inquired, I was impressed by your photo.

Thanks,

CWS
          • LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jim Frye
            Around here, we have Red Tailed Hawks and Rough Legged Hawks as the two big ones. They like to sit on the peaks of the roofs of the homes in our subdivision looking for prey.. Last spring one killed a very large rabbit right outside our kitchen window. It left some remains that I cleaned up, but the hawk came back the next day looking for left overs.
            I saw one in the neighborhood carrying off a squirrel; At first look I was wondering what kind of bird had a fluffy tail, then I realized it was carrying a squirrel in its talons with the tail trailing behind..
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Another predator in the neighborhood. We have regular sightings of coyotes in the area and subdivision. Of course this is due to suburban sprawl and the animal’s lack of predators. Our HOA’s Facebook page and the Nextdoor web pages are increasingly populated with sighting reports. I’ve seen their tracks in the snow with no human tracks around, so I feel pretty certain they are around my house in the night. Oh yeah, the reports of missing cats has also increased.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

House cats are easy pickings for coyotes because the cats usually live with families that also have dogs, so they aren’t particularly afraid of them, or coyotes. Coyotes like them because they are well fed and taste like chicken. Mommas little dog that makes a break to chase after the bad coyote that just ate the cat doesn’t fare well either though. Dogs are usually safer from coyotes than cats because they don’t get to roam around at night. I sometimes see coyotes in the daytime, and generally shoot a couple every year while deer hunting. They wreak havoc on our wild turkey population.

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

And they are cats, so they think they are apex predators.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Overconfidence.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	841251

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Kitty probably thought it was a chicken, she had never seen one with its feathers on, momma had always dipped her chicken out of a can so she would walk over and get a better look!

Comment

Working...