What kind of woodworker pays $18.50 for $3 worth of plywood???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Items like the bit vice rub me wrong..... they, like the Kreg toenail screw machines that are built to be permanent mounted on a work bench. Who has enough workbench space to screw down something that may not be used but twice a year in a prominent, prime real estate spot on your work bench? This thing will be in the way more than the coffee machine, toaster, electric bagel toaster, mixer, crock pot and air fryer/toaster is on the wife’s kitchens counter! My workbench collects too much clutter as it is and with this junk screwed down hard I will surely hurt myself when I fly off the handle and pitch a hissy fit and start raking the clutter into the garbage can!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I have my pocket hole jig and a couple other jigs mounted to MDF platforms with a front stop. Slide them onto the bench, use a Kreg auto clamp in the rails in the bench, done. The mounts often add utility also, such as the pocket jig mount, which has board support wings with stick-on measuring tapes for fast positioning.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Just my point Carlos, you know the value of your workbench space and have created a removable “jig” out of something that was engineered to be perminately mounted to a bench. The company engineers don’t want their product hid away in some cabinet, they want it in sight and continuously advertising for them! Your limited workbench space is not their problem, to them everybody has a shop as large as Norm Abrams.

I caught something in a commercial on tv the other day.... I wasn’t paying a lot of attention so I don’t remember the brand or a lot of details, it was a kitchen countertop air dry toaster device that tilted 90 degrees back for storage when you were done with it. Sounds like a nice idea, but what happens to any juice, grease or other fluids when you flip it on its side? That will be nasty running out on the counter. What were they thinking?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Carlos
          I have my pocket hole jig and a couple other jigs mounted to MDF platforms with a front stop. Slide them onto the bench, use a Kreg auto clamp in the rails in the bench, done. The mounts often add utility also, such as the pocket jig mount, which has board support wings with stick-on measuring tapes for fast positioning.
          I have found the Fence clamps, like Rocklers, which sell for about $15 a pair, are ideal for holding temporary fixtures and jigs to the tops of workbenches. They have no part that sticks up above the surface of your devices base and its simple to drill a 3/8" hole in the edge of the base.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	31373-20-1000.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	837871

Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

My workbench has a 2x6 front fascia on it. I also have a 9" Eclipse vise mounted at the center of the bench with the rear jaw flush with the front fascia. I can mount those benchtop tools with the vise or use a pipe clamp to secure the tool base to the front fascia. My 14x36 lathe mounts with the bench vise and a pipe clamp or two. The slow speed grinder base has a front lip that can be clamped in the vise. My scroll saw base fits between the bench vise dog and the shop wall. This is the lathe in the old shop. Same mounting though.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Duplex Lathe Oper2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	837884
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...