Man addicted to brake fluid claims he can stop anytime he wants.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Man addicted to brake fluid claims he can stop anytime he wants.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Curious, a very good friend of mine, he was known to keep a bottle of Canadian Lord Calvert hid in numerous places in is foreign car repair shop. One day he took a large snort and picked up an open can of Coke to chase it down. I didn’t mention he was a slob at housekeeping and commonly drained brake fluid into anything handy, this time it was that empty Coke can. Too bad..... he hit the floor like a rock. The EMTs that hauled him off said he wasn’t dead then but he probably wouldn’t make it to the hospital. He did make it and recovered after several days in the hospital, but the old Scotsman didn’t learn his lesson and was killed several years later when he ran a stop light at a major 4 lane highway.

I always believed that brake fluid was lethal.

Back when some of my doper high school friends were huffing automatic transmission fluid, they were still smart enough not to ingest brake fluid.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

and was killed several years later when he ran a stop light at a major 4 lane highway.
      So he couldn't stop?

I've never seen someone miss the joke so completely, but then add in their own pun. That was awesome.

I know puns are hard, many times people don't understand it, and you don't get a single laugh. I once told ten puns in a row to see if one would get a laugh, but no pun in ten did.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Right, when the brake fluid didn’t kill him I said the Canadian Lord Calvert killed him when he ran the traffic light drunk as a skunk, but in reality it was the Kenworh that actually killed him.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I confess to having read the headline twice before I got it.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

LOL, and I missed the Lord Culvert. Very nice, I rate this thread a 9 for trolling value. Loring is a master baiter.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

It was a cute post and pun. I guess if I hadn’t actually had a personal experience with someone drinking brake fluid I would have skipped it. Knowing that brake fluid has ethylene glycol and will cause you to be very dead, I googled it! Surprisingly the MSD sheet says
              4.1.5 Ingestion

Obtain medical advice immediately. If patient is fully conscious, wash out mouth with water and give plenty of water to drink. If medical attention is delayed and an adult has swallowed several ounces, give 90-120ml of hard liquor such as 40%v/v spirits.

i guess that is what saved my ole buddy George from a sure death since he probably downed that much booze seconds before gulping down several ounces old brake fluid out of someone’s MG. I keep a pint of Captain Morgan White in the back of my shop refrigerator for when friends drop by, now I can justify my hidden stash to my wife.... in case I accidentally drink brake fluid. Kinda like keeping a fire extinguisher handy in case of a fire!

Next I guess we will see a post where a man drinks Super Glue and swears he is not stick up.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                • Dec 2006
                • Lake County, Illinois
                • Ryobi BT-3000

I wasn't sure if capncarl was kidding around with his hard liquor citation. He wasn't. I didn't find the exact one, but I found a similar one:

See section 4.1.

Great story, follow-up MSDS citation, and the best part - Capncarl's follow-up statement.

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Ethanol is also the cure for methanol poisoning, which I use quite a bit in my shop. That's why I get drunk first every time I want to work in the shop or on a car.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Sometimes the best way to deal with the loss of a very good friend it to remember and share their quirks. Old George had more than his share.

The emergency treatment in the MSD statement reminds me of something you would see in an old cowboy western where they treated everything with a generous portion of liquor. I would have never dreamed it would be a medically approved treatment for anything.

My parents didn’t tolerate alcohol use, much less have it the house for medicinal uses, so when someone had a cough or simular illness where they were normally given a shot of whiskey my mother would would give us a spoon full of sugar saturated with kerosene. I guess she figured it was liquid like liquor so it must do the same thing, or it might have been a Baptist thing? My brother and I have probably drank enough kerosene as cough medicine to heat a small apartment for an entire Michigan winter. I’m surprised that mother didn’t have the company that supplied our heating oil install a “T” and spigot on the kerosene tank line just for her to draw off her cough medicine!

Comment

• Slik Geek
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Lake County, Illinois
                      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by capncarl
                      My brother and I have probably drank enough kerosene as cough medicine to heat a small apartment for an entire Michigan winter. I’m surprised that mother didn’t have the company that supplied our heating oil install a “T” and spigot on the kerosene tank line just for her to draw off her cough medicine!

LOL. You brought me to tears

Comment

Working...