X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Math Problem

My cousin in the Philippines recently sent me a pic of some of the math questions from her daughter's recent math test. I was equally surprised and felt completely stupid because I spent 30 minutes and still couldn't figure out the answer. Let's see if someone here can figure it out. And btw, the girl is int he 3rd grade!

Find the next number in the sequence.
    5611, 111223, 232447

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I should think the next number is 474895

Reasoning:

5 + 6 = 11, so 5611

now take the last result (11), add it to the next number (12),
    11 + 12 = 23, so 111223

again, take the result (23), add the next (24)
    23 + 24 = 47, so the number is 232447

now, take the result (47) and add the next number(48)
    47 + 48 = 95, so the next number is 474895
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Well I feel even dumber. I was thinking it was some weird geometric/arithmetic sequence. You got it radhak.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
        I should think the next number is 474895

Reasoning:

5 + 6 = 11, so 5611

now take the last result (11), add it to the next number (12),
        11 + 12 = 23, so 111223

again, take the result (23), add the next (24)
        23 + 24 = 47, so the number is 232447

now, take the result (47) and add the next number(48)
        47 + 48 = 95, so the next number is 474895
        That's what I got as well
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Great math problem to get minds running. Now my question...... what use is this line of thought in the real world?

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
            Great math problem to get minds running. Now my question...... what use is this line of thought in the real world?
            As a problem, it tests your ability to see patterns.
            As an answer, it tests your ability to express an algorithm for performing a given task/problem.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Originally posted by capncarl
              It's called pattern recognition skills.

These skills are useful in a lot of fields.
              basically, any time there's data that needs to be understood.

Geologists use it to find oil. Doctors use it to monitor infectious disease. SETI uses it to find martians. THE FBI uses it to catch crooks. Woodcraft uses it to figure out who to send coupons to.

I use it at my college to figure out which students are at risk of failing.

in our data saturated world, there's a pretty good market for people who can turn data into knowledge.

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've had a few whiskies tonight, so I can't answer this. Friends don't let friends drink and derive.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by durango dude

It's called pattern recognition skills.

These skills are useful in a lot of fields.
                  basically, any time there's data that needs to be understood.

Geologists use it to find oil. Doctors use it to monitor infectious disease. SETI uses it to find martians. THE FBI uses it to catch crooks. Woodcraft uses it to figure out who to send coupons to.

I use it at my college to figure out which students are at risk of failing.

in our data saturated world, there's a pretty good market for people who can turn data into knowledge.
                  I agree 100%.

But, in politics, this is often seen as targeting and profiling, of which ad agencies use in selling. Ad agencies must be discreet in their wording and training. I don't think I would be good at creating ads as my INTP'ness prefers to state the obvious without regard to feelings - in the manner of Sheldon on "The Big Bang" - according to what my girls say!

(Early "pattern recognition" is a common characteristic of INTPs. For an INTP to state what they see developing before everyone else does gets them labeled quickly. )
                  Last edited by leehljp; 10-19-2019, 08:56 AM.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tjoosk
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2019

I have noticed that the math program is very different from school to school. There are many approaches to math learning. The schools in https://populationstat.com/australia/perth are building their study process on the logics. And it is often the case that tasks may look difficult for the adults but children cope with them in no time. It is because the children have a different logic approach.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Maumee, OH, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

As a computer geek my entire working career, my two youngest Grandkids have deemed me the go to guy for their math homework. I have no idea how they arrived at that concept. My Grandson started this when he was in fourth or fifth grade (he’s now a junior in high school). I warned him that when he got to calculus, he was on his own. He’s now taking advanced placement math and I am of no use anymore. Fortunately, my 7th grade Granddaughter is just getting into Algebra, so I still get to help her after school. I remember working on pattern recognition problems with the Grandson.
                      Jim Frye
                      The Nut in the Cellar.
                      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I hated math in high school, and was admonished that if I really did want to work with electronics and computers, I would need advanced math. We all know what BS that was. The point is that the computer does the math. The only thing I've needed as a routing and IP expert is BINARY math, which nobody taught. In woodworking there's some obvious math, but I cheat at that too, like using the Fastcap quick-half tapes, and the principles of common core which is how I always thought about math anyway (breaking up numbers and working on them individually). Oh, that was another good one--being told my process was wrong even though my answer was correct, and all in my head. I may or may not have had a few visits to the office over my chosen process.

"You act like you just don't care what you're told."

"No sir, I assure that's completely incorrect. I'm not acting."

Comment

Working...